• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Production I.G. Enters Negotiations for Live-Action Ghost In The Shell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
Shi-ne wrote:
And I agree with whoever said Ridley Scott. He'll turn this into a masterpiece like he did with BladeRunner.

He made 'Blade Runner' back then when he still knew how to make a good movie (besides, he had a great source material that hadn't needed much tweaking during its "translation" from novel to movie). But everything he touched since 'Gladiator' was a huge disappointment for me (especially seeing that he directed two of my favorite movies ever, 'Blade Runner' and 'Thelma and Louise'). I mean, 'Gladiator' was rather silly, but still kind of enjoyable. But then there was 'Hannibal', that godawful 'Kingdom of Heaven', and the similarly awful 'Tristan and Isolde' (he just had to butcher one of my favorite legends, didn't he)... Let's face it, old man Scott has lost his touch.
Shi-ne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
Black Hawk Down wasn't bad, but I think Ridley needs to go back to his roots. He was good with Sci-fi......"was".
DESERT_DEMON

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
I gotta say if IG are seriously trying to get extra financial backing for any kind of GITS project they should in my opinion get it for another anime movie or series of movies to follow on from SSS....but maybe have section 9 recruited to fight terrorist threat ect in the quote American Empire or even Europe or both or even on a worldwide scope....or something along those line, thats what I'd like to see next from them....

As long as they keep the team they have now (Mamoru, Kenji etc etc) and maybe draught in the input(s) from some other writers/directors (possibly from other anime production houses or hollywood itself) I dont think they can lose....as long as they KEEP IT ANIME....any kind of live action version would kill GITS in my opinion....there just no way they could pull it off and maintain credability....OK it might make a bit of money but hey money isnt everything and I'm sure thats not all that masamune was thinking about when he created GITS....
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
godawful 'Kingdom of Heaven'

Did you not see the Director's Cut? You realize it's almost a completely different film and is largely considered to be Scott's masterpiece, right?

You should see the director's cut.

mufurc wrote:
I haven't seen the Director's Cut, but I don't believe I'd think much higher of it, unless it doesn't have the theatrical cut's painful historical inaccuracies (that just can't be shrugged off in any movie that wants to be more than a fun adventure romp) and the painful acting, and doesn't deliver the message with the subtlety of a sledgehammer...

I hated the theatrical cut. Hated it. Thought it was an awful misfire.

Saw the director's cut and I'm convinced it's Scott's best film and deserves the Oscars that were given to Gladiator. It is really that dramatic a shift. There are whole new characters added in, complete sections of character motivation; there is no clear-cut "message" at the end of the film, because in the director's cut, Saladin is a much more ambiguous figure.

Anyway it's really good. I wouldn't trash the film until you've really seen it. Right now you haven't.

Last edited by Zac on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the Director's Cut, but I don't believe I'd think much higher of it, unless it doesn't have the theatrical cut's painful historical inaccuracies (that just can't be shrugged off in any movie that wants to be more than a fun adventure romp) and the painful acting, and doesn't deliver the message with the subtlety of a sledgehammer...

ETA: I said "unless..." If it's different from the theatrical cut in these aspects then I may like it. I'll give it a chance next time I go to the library.

Last edited by mufurc on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it will be stylized after the movies or the tv series. I would rather see an adaptation of the first movie. I wonder if the Waichowski bros would be interested, since they are admitedly big fans, and Matrix owed a lot of its stylings to GITS, and Akira
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Shi-ne wrote:
And I agree with whoever said Ridley Scott. He'll turn this into a masterpiece like he did with BladeRunner.

He made 'Blade Runner' back then when he still knew how to make a good movie (besides, he had a great source material that hadn't needed much tweaking during its "translation" from novel to movie). But everything he touched since 'Gladiator' was a huge disappointment for me (especially seeing that he directed two of my favorite movies ever, 'Blade Runner' and 'Thelma and Louise'). I mean, 'Gladiator' was rather silly, but still kind of enjoyable. But then there was 'Hannibal', that godawful 'Kingdom of Heaven', and the similarly awful 'Tristan and Isolde' (he just had to butcher one of my favorite legends, didn't he)... Let's face it, old man Scott has lost his touch.
It could even end up looking like a Blade Runner 2. I still believe Blade Runner is one of the greatest Sci-fi movies made. But GiTS is no Blade Runner and I wouldn't like to see it made that way. However, like Zac, I'm going to hold my fire until any one of these anime-to-live-action movies is actually released for viewing. It does no good to get whipped into a froth over wild speculation, unless of course that is what your boat floats on. Wink
Amibite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Amibite wrote:
subaru wrote:
One thing that worries me is people who has never watched GIS would probably think GIS is a copy cat of Matrix. While it is the other way round.
The Matrix is actually a rip off Grant Morrison's The Invisibles comic book, right down to the characters and story. Outside of both being Cyberpunk, The Matrix has little in common with Ghost in the Shell, to be honest.

Except for the famous falling letters (or whatever, I'm not familiar with the terminology) and some of the technology, see neck plugs, etc.

Neck plugs are old as dirt, and falling letters are a matter of cosmetics. The actual substance of the film (plot, characters, direction) owe nothing to Ghost in the Shell. The W. Brothers basically gave everyone Invisibles comics and told them to "copy this".

Quote:
They look Caucasian (kind of). Not "American". And as for the characters not looking Asian, it doesn't matter in anime because in anime no-one expects them to look Asian. But in a live-action adaptation it'd be rather stupid if obviously Caucasian people played members of a secret Japanese elite commando, named Motoko, Togusa, Aramaki, etc., in a story that takes place in Japan.
No more absurd than a woman with purple hair and big eyes claiming she's Asian, if you ask me.

Danno19 wrote:
Sweet, another movie that takes attention away from its animated roots. Hurray!
"Animation roots" is a very questionable subject when it comes to Japan. Japan has no choice but to make their movies in animation, like I said, so to them it's not a matter of "animation" or "live-action", just "animation." They're not as privileged as America.

People place too much value on whether something is live-action or animated. A good show is a good show and a good movie is a good movie.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:42 am Reply with quote
I see the film win on a few key points:

1. I.G. doesn't expect big things for the movie. But they can shoot for them.

This is what killed any hope of a decent release of Battle Royale in the US. Toei expected a release upfront on the scale of Crouching tiger Hidden Dragon on a movie that will bring up Columbine and Waynesboro. If IG plays it's cards right, they can escape "Arthouse Hell" and see a nominal release onto major theater chains. Trying to expect blockbuster status only will cause more harm than good.

2. Stick to the source material first before going "out there."

The producers have a whole ton of material to work with. Adding new ideas aside from a basic storyline plot would be complete suicide. There is no way you can transplant Newport City as "San Fransisco" or "Vancouver" without altering the storyline severely.

Also, note that the main characters form a cohesive team, a "Special Response Unit" if you will, which is also a critical point. There is no way such a team could operate on US Territory even if you claim Section 9 is a National Organization akin to the FBI or ATF. The small unit status lends creditbility to Japan, due to it's small size and ease of responding to emergencies.

Finally, the main issue is not race, but each memebers unique individuality. Strip that away, and you lost most of the property.

3.Xenophobia has to be left outside of the door.

Both sides have to respect each other: The US Producers have to respect the source material, while I.G. needs to respect the expertise of the US Producers of the US Market. If both sides can come to a mutual understanding, the movie can go forward. If not.....

4. Actors. Don't stick Name Recognition.

The films main selling point should be the movie itself, not the actors. Just because Lara Croft shares a striking resemblence to Angelina Jolie, does it make a good movie?

Cast the right actors. Hey, it worked for X-Men, Spiderman, and LOTR.

A couple more points, but the Comtrex is making me drowsy.
DigitalGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
No more absurd than a woman with purple hair and big eyes claiming she's Asian, if you ask me.

With perhaps the exception of Batou, Motoko Kusanagi is the only character with an unatural hair color and I don't think that was a mistake. Either way, I'm not about to debate a coloring decision.

Motoko Kusanagi is a Human with a prosthetic body with a heavy amount of alterations. It's been alluded to in both the series, and I believe the movie, that her body is actually a somewhat common model. I don't think it's absurd just because a character has an unnatural body she still shouldn't be played by someone who by birth is Japanese since Motoko, by birth, is Japanese. As it's been said before, her name is "Motoko Kusanagi" changing it to "Rachel Smith" would be a downer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
DigitalGirl wrote:
With perhaps the exception of Batou, Motoko Kusanagi is the only character with an unatural hair color and I don't think that was a mistake. Either way, I'm not about to debate a coloring decision.

No, the reason question is whether or not the costume designer will be able to create purple hair that looks real.

Quote:
Motoko Kusanagi is a Human with a prosthetic body with a heavy amount of alterations. It's been alluded to in both the series, and I believe the movie, that her body is actually a somewhat common model.

The next question is how real is her prosthetic body going to be? It's also been alluded to that she is also a recognizable as not being human, as is Batou. I wouldn't want to see makeup similar to that seen in Steven Spielberg's "A.I." but it may be in consideration. Of course there is also James Cameron's "Battle Angel" whose Gally is entirely CGI.

Quote:
As it's been said before, her name is "Motoko Kusanagi" changing it to "Rachel Smith" would be a downer.

If Hollywood intends to "Americanize" the character's names then it would truly be "based off" GiTS and not an adaptation. The only Caucasian actors of Section 9 should be those of equivalent descent. All remaining Asian characters should be cast as such, if not Japanese native, there is a striving actors pool to select from in both US and Canada. IG and their would be Hollywood producers are betting on the American fanbase, to defy that fanbase is to spell disaster before the project enters green-light status. As all have claimed in on form or another casting is going to be key, however I believe this film would do better with an unknown cast. Perhaps a couple large names sprinkled throughout in more of a supporting/villainous capacity similar to Superman Returns.

I also disagree that this should be big budget. The Matrix was originally filmed on a budget of $63M, Underworld $22M, Sin City $40M, 300 $60M, and Return of the King $94M. Point being with advances in green screen and 3D technologies this film can be done high quality with a budget under $100M, possibly even $75M. If not, the film is going to have to appeal to the "broader audience" because the fanbase simply isn't large enough to sustain a blockbuster status. Which will ultimately jeopardize it's ability to be successful and therefore also damn future anime film productions as well. I'd rather avoid seeing another disappointment like Final Fantasy: Spirits Within thank you very much.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Tenchi:
Quote:
I sense another proposed Hollywood live-action anime project that will never ever reach any substantial stage of development but about which the grist mill will spam Internet forums with dozens of bogus cast lists.

I sense another Matrix "clone" which actually preceded the Matrix, but looks so crappy, people will think it's a knock-off. (See Aeon Flux.)

Zac:
Quote:
So in other words if whatever film studio agrees to finance this thing decides to commit total financial suicide and not protect themselves legally, THEN and only then will this thing work.

Hollywood has been slicing its wrists with crap like The Island and Superman Returns[and probably Jimmy Cameron's Avatar] for a while now. I don't see how they could do any worse with GITS.

Quote:
Might I remind you people that Production IG managed to make GitS2 a total lugubrious, pretentious nightmare that wasn't a hit with audiences anywhere.

Yeah, well, the second UY movie 2 got a mixed reception, too.

Quote:
The Japanese perspective on what would make an accessible, fun sci-fi action movie that would actually appeal to both fans and regular audiences is not the be-all end-all approach.

Yeah, well, The Returner wasn't that bad.

Quote:
It doesn't hurt that the games they tend to adapt have really paper-thin premises to begin with. Yes, game adaptations mostly suck, but the source material ain't exactly Shakespeare.

Actually, I thought Silent Hill was probably the most accurate game adaptation I'd seen in a long time. I'm surprised it wasn't a bigger hit, though.

Quote:
I thought the first Resident Evil was a pretty decent action flick, for what it was. Again, not Shakespeare. Why is it the duty of someone adapting particularly shallow, somewhat generic material to elevate it to some higher standard? What in the world are you expecting here?

I was expecting the NC-17 version directed by George Romero and starring Bruce Campbell, but Capcom bailed out, even though his films were the basis for their games.

Quote:
And I have some unfortunate news for you: while there are messages in Ghost in the Shell, ponderous themes about humanity and technology and whatnot, it is largely an incredibly stylish action movie.

What kind of action movie has the hero and villain merge together to create a new being?

Amibite:
Quote:
The Matrix is actually a rip off Grant Morrison's The Invisibles comic book, right down to the characters and story.

Wait, I thought The Matrix was a rip-off of Megazone. Wink

Mohawk:
Quote:
It could even end up looking like a Blade Runner 2.

There is a Blade Runner 2, albeit in book form...

Abarenbo:
Quote:
This is what killed any hope of a decent release of Battle Royale in the US. Toei expected a release upfront on the scale of Crouching tiger Hidden Dragon on a movie that will bring up Columbine and Waynesboro.

Actually, it was the complete opposite situation. They didn't want to get sued, which is why they held out for so long. But money talks, and they've at least sold off the remake rights.

Quote:
Just because Lara Croft shares a striking resemblence to Angelina Jolie,

Those Playboy models looked more like Lara than she did.

Quote:
I also disagree that this should be big budget. The Matrix was originally filmed on a budget of $63M, Underworld $22M, Sin City $40M, 300 $60M, and Return of the King $94M.

ROTK technically costs $300 million, since it was shot along with the other two films.

Anyway, where's Brian Ruh's commentary when we need it? Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ROTK technically costs $300 million, since it was shot along with the other two films.

I wouldn't use that logic when it comes to budgets and I believe you may be rounding up $30M and that's after advertising. Regardless, of that $300M only $94M was used on ROTK which had the most amount of special effects. Thus why I used it as an example as opposed to the first two films. Although sci-fi may potentially be more expensive than fantasy, but cost wise I don't think ILM would charge more for a dragon than a helicopter Wink .

I said that casting would be key in my previous post, but writing may be of more importance. I have read many complaints regarding mostly video game adaptations and "paper-thin premises," but the manga is a vast resource that still includes stories that haven't been utilized in either animated film or tv. I don't want to see a live action adaptation of either first two films. I want to see a new script.

GATSU wrote:
What kind of action movie has the hero and villain merge together to create a new being?

Excellent point, the manga did a much better job of that particular plot than the film ever did, but it isn't the only plot to take into consideration. I'd also argue that The Puppeteer isn't the villain, the US government in collaboration with Section 6 is. And we all know that any such propaganda regarding the US won't make it into a Hollywood blockbuster. In fact I doubt if the term "American Empire" would ever be used.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:10 am Reply with quote
And we all know that any such propaganda regarding the US won't make it into a Hollywood blockbuster. In fact I doubt if the term "American Empire" would ever be used.

Do what Barb Wire did: Call the Fascist Americans Congressionals.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
The next question is how real is her prosthetic body going to be? It's also been alluded to that she is also a recognizable as not being human, as is Batou. I wouldn't want to see makeup similar to that seen in Steven Spielberg's "A.I." but it may be in consideration. Of course there is also James Cameron's "Battle Angel" whose Gally is entirely CGI.

This is an interesting point: just how human or prosthetic does Kusanagi's body look?

After recently reading the three SAC novels, Junichi Fujisaku (the author) included a few anecdotes about prosthetic bodies and how well they adapt in human society. Apparently, some still make small, barely noticeable "servo noises" in the joints. Also, unless you know what to look for, they can pass easily as human.

Yet, I've been curious to know how this would translate into reality. Avatar's mention of Spielberg's A.I. and it's interesting makeup job is a good example. Would Kusanagi's body have an unnatural shine or slight "plastic-ey" look to it? Would here eyes look lifeless and fake, like an well-sculpted doll's would?

Then again, we've lived for years with films introducing androids and cyborgs who looked like regular people (or just the actors who portrayed them), until we were told they were androids or half their faces were blown off... whichever came first. Smile

Honestly, I think we could be in for some fun make-up and CGI effects. Aside from man cast members jacking into assailants to stop them, it'll be fun to see people like that doctor from Innocence who opened up half her face to attach a viewer, or maybe the android staffers who's hands breakup into dozens of pieces to type faster. I just hope the director doesn't linger on those type of CGI-heavy moments and just treats them like an everyday thing we're suppose to expect in this world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5