• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, September 5-11 [2022-09-17]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:39 am Reply with quote
Should I be surprised that NBA 2K23 charted in Japan for both Switch and PS4? MLB I get, but there's really a following for the NBA, or at least enthusiasm for basketball in general?
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:54 am Reply with quote
The funny thing about Japan is that Nintendo holds dominance there. Even when a non-Nintendo game ends up topping a sales chart, it only lasts for 2-3 weeks and Nintendo ends up retaking the crown.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
In terms of hardware sales, the Switch achieved a 98% marketshare in Japan. Now I wonder what can Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) do in order to sell more consoles and software.

invalidname wrote:
Should I be surprised that NBA 2K23 charted in Japan for both Switch and PS4? MLB I get, but there's really a following for the NBA, or at least enthusiasm for basketball in general?

Well, Slam Dunk is one of the best-selling manga of all time, so I guess basketball is relatively popular in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1