• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Celebrate Japan's Moon-Viewing Festival With a Sailor Moon Burger

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, rather than Sailor Moon, the closest thing that pops to mind are the passengers on WALL-E Laughing ...
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:07 pm Reply with quote
They'd ask me what manga inspired that "thing", I'd answer Chainsaw Man or Attack on Titan.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:43 pm Reply with quote
It's a cute idea but I think they could have made it look more Moon-ish xD I cannot see the influence.

If you check out the anime food collabs at Animate cafes, they do a way better presentation and are super cute! ♥

This is no longer going on...

but here are Arina Tanemura examples that Animate did. I just love them and it hurts that I couldn't go. Anime cry
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I love trying promotional food items but this looks like it's more like a sandwich. I see no beef (or other 'meat') patty in the pics. I'm guessing that because this is MOS Burger, all things must be a burger even if it's just a sandwich.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I love Foccacia. I wonder if they have other Foccacia burger options?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:41 pm Reply with quote
That looks horrific.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Lol What is this translation? "I'll taste you" sounds so wrong in so many ways. No shame to whoever translated, but wow. Anime hyper

The catchphrase spoof line is more like "In the name of moon-viewing, it's delicious!" or to equivocate the English catchphrase, "In the name of moon-viewing, I've come to tell you it's tasty!" Might be a bit less similar to the English phrase, but the pun in Japanese is just that "oshioki" (punishment) and "oishii" (delicious) sound vaguely similar.

[Fixed: moon -> moon-viewing]

Last edited by Juno016 on Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:27 am Reply with quote
I could make something similar at home, although that egg makes it horrifying, so I'll omit that if I decide to make it.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:38 am Reply with quote
That burger is just too much, lol! Like the catchphrase, but that's about it. Maybe the egg is suppose to be the moon?
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
I can already see the pitch meeting.
"It's Sailor Moon because the sausage is like, curved like a crescent moon, and there's an egg like, uh, like the Silver Crystal!"
"Tanaka-san, we didn't ask you to explain. It's OK. People will buy it as long as we slap a logo somewhere."

Quote:
In the ad, Mitsuishi makes a play on Usagi's signature catchphrase ("In the name of the moon, I will punish you!") by saying "In the name of the moon-viewing, I will taste you!"

I understand that the puns ("tsuki ni kawatte" - "tsukimi ni kawatte" "oshioki yo" - "oishii yo") are difficult to translate, but how did you get "I will taste you" from "oishii yo"? As noted before, it's more along the lines of "In the name of moon-viewing, enjoy the delicious taste!"
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I can already see the pitch meeting.
"It's Sailor Moon because the sausage is like, curved like a crescent moon, and there's an egg like, uh, like the Silver Crystal!"
"Tanaka-san, we didn't ask you to explain. It's OK. People will buy it as long as we slap a logo somewhere."
I mean that's literally what McDonald's did with their Gundam Char burgers which people went nuts over even though it's just a regular triple burger sandwich. At least with Sailor Moon there's an obvious connection with the moon viewing festival theme which is likely what it all comes down to for why it's marketed as Sailor Moon.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:04 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I understand that the puns ("tsuki ni kawatte" - "tsukimi ni kawatte" "oshioki yo" - "oishii yo") are difficult to translate, but how did you get "I will taste you" from "oishii yo"?

As the person who pointed the issue out first, I know _why_ it was translated that way. Like any other translator, we make liberal translation decisions based on context and fluidity, and in this case, the important part was getting the slogan fused with the ad subject somehow. I found the translation weird and hilariously suggestive in the wrong way, but that's about as far as my criticism goes. Literal translation is preferred, but not always going to work. My own substitute is a bit longer and possibly clunky. Oh, and I didn't realize she said "tsukimi ni kawatte" instead of just "tsuki ni kawatte", so oops. Lol
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:10 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
SHD wrote:
I understand that the puns ("tsuki ni kawatte" - "tsukimi ni kawatte" "oshioki yo" - "oishii yo") are difficult to translate, but how did you get "I will taste you" from "oishii yo"?

As the person who pointed the issue out first, I know _why_ it was translated that way. Like any other translator, we make liberal translation decisions based on context and fluidity, and in this case, the important part was getting the slogan fused with the ad subject somehow. I found the translation weird and hilariously suggestive in the wrong way, but that's about as far as my criticism goes. Literal translation is preferred, but not always going to work. My own substitute is a bit longer and possibly clunky.

As another translator, that's why I don't understand why it was translated that way. Creativity is fine and preferred, sure, but not to the point where the end result misrepresents the original text. This is a mistranslation, not a "weird but otherwise good" translation. It doesn't get across what the original is saying, and it doesn't even make sense in English, and I think that is definitely something that should be criticized.

(For the record, I wasn't saying I wanted a literal translation. My own suggestion is even less literal than yours, and I'm sure a native speaker could come up with something better.)
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:00 am Reply with quote
Now,as everyone here knows,I watched the DIC version of "Sailor Moon" so I've got the feeling that Serena AKA Usagi would absolutely love this. She'd be scarfing something like this down and then order another one just to eat that one as well. She'd be in absolute heaven if she knew about something like this because in the original series,she really loved food.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Now,as everyone here knows,I watched the DIC version of "Sailor Moon" so I've got the feeling that Serena AKA Usagi would absolutely love this. She'd be scarfing something like this down and then order another one just to eat that one as well. She'd be in absolute heaven if she knew about something like this because in the original series,she really loved food.

Usagi prefers ice cream and other sweet things. She also eats rice like every Japanese girl does. I don't think I've ever seen her eat a hamburger on screen in the show.

That dub is truly horrendous. Rolling Eyes The weird thing is, they would randomly insert stupid mood-killing dialogue about food or eating when it was never there in the Japanese version...so they made all the characters look way more gluttonous than they originally were, yes, ALL. OF. THEM. EVEN THE CATS. *cries*

"Hey guys, like we might be horribly trapped in this maze by Queen Beryl, Tuxedo Mask might be dying and stuff but let's go get burgers after this lol"

No. That did not happen.

For the record, Usagi didn't eat "jelly doughnuts" during her diet, DIDN'T say "let's get cheeseburgers and fries" after the brainwashing Tux episode, and DIDN'T get stuck to Mamoru because of bubblegum while kissing him.

There are countless other times where they did this...but you get the picture. 'We're not allowed to let the show get real or serious, nope, it's a dumb baby show; need jokes for the dumb babies watchin!'

Sorry for ranting but I needed to say gawd, I [expletive] hated those [expletive] food jokes!!! Twisted Evil They were SO DUMB. Repent for you crimes, DiC(k). God may forgive you but I won't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2