• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyle McCarley May Not Star in Mob Psycho 100 III Anime Due to Disagreement with Crunchyroll ab

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suxinn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I think arguing about the profits that these anime make is missing the point. The point is that unions are important because unions help folks be paid fairly and give them equal, collective bargaining power against big corporations. Whether the anime is popular or not, made lots of money or not, is irrelevant. People deserve to be paid a living wage for the hard work they do, period. Even if the anime absolutely sucked, or lost a ton of money, the people who worked on it should still get fairly paid. A company that is not willing to make sure all its workers are paid fairly shouldn't exist. It's as simple as that.
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
Honestly, I think arguing about the profits that these anime make is missing the point. The point is that unions are important because unions help folks be paid fairly and give them equal, collective bargaining power against big corporations. Whether the anime is popular or not, made lots of money or not, is irrelevant. People deserve to be paid a living wage for the hard work they do, period. Even if the anime absolutely sucked, or lost a ton of money, the people who worked on it should still get fairly paid. A company that is not willing to make sure all its workers are paid fairly shouldn't exist. It's as simple as that.

Y'all better keep that same energy for literally every single job in the world cause most people in this economy aren't even getting a living wage.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:48 pm Reply with quote
DevilBrew wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
DevilBrew wrote:

You'll have to go on a pointless witch hunt against the entire industry then. Anime dubs being non union for the most part is a well known fact so I don't see why everyone is treating this as some watergate moment. Not even dragon ball, one of the most popular and wealthy franchises out there, is union so it's weird to expect this for every show.
Saying "I'd think it would be a good idea to have unions and for workers to be paid fairly" = witch hunt to you apparently. Rolling Eyes

Considering the petty vitriol many of the commenters have here and them.wishing for CR to financially suffer, I say witch hunt accurate. You don't need a union to be paid fairly.

The past 22 years of localizers, translators, and dub actors openly talking about their slave wages and the higher wages of pretty much every industry that a) isn't anime and b) is union begs to disagree.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Lord Geo wrote:
Do you seriously think the JJK0 movie went on the gross all that money primarily through subbed showings? If you do, then you really don't understand the relevance of what having an English dub can mean for an anime release, and that line of yours truly is just code for "I don't care about dubs".

There's a very real chance that was the case. It's impossible for us to tell with Sony's releases as they do dub/sub screenings on the same day, but GKIDS still does split screenings and the results almost always favour the subbed version

As you mention, though, the stuff GKIDS released to theaters aren't exactly in the same type of title as JJK; if anything, GKIDS' stuff is more "art house", in comparison, which people would prefer subbed. We'd have to see how stuff like Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero's theatrical split was for a better comparison.

Regardless, even if it wound up being more of a 50/50 split, that still proves my point that the English dub cast would not be "at the bottom of the list, since they don't contribute that much", as was argued by Ishida. If anything, one could argue that it puts the dub cast on the same level as the Japanese cast.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 pm Reply with quote
DevilBrew wrote:
Suxinn wrote:

Y'all better keep that same energy for literally every single job in the world cause most people in this economy aren't even getting a living wage.

I mean, yes, that was literally the point of my comment. I didn't say, "Voice actors deserve to be paid a living wage," I said, "People deserve to be paid a living wage." As in everyone. Including voice actors.
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Of course, that doesn't mean making a dub is not financially worthwhile. All of the examples I listed favoured the sub screenings, but in most cases it wasn't by a landslide.

Not quite so simple. If no dubs were available, many, if not most of the people who would go to see a movie dubbed will do see a movie subbed. Good luck trying to get 95% of sub watchers to watch a dubbed movie. You'd need to tie them down like in The Clockwork Orange.

Lord Geo wrote:
If anything, one could argue that it puts the dub cast on the same level as the Japanese cast.

Oh, absolutely not. And here's why: English dubs are, for the most part, mostly popular in America. So you have one version that is only popular on one continent VS a version that is popular on all the others and part of that one continent. Not a fair fight at all, strictly financially speaking.

I'm also assuming you're talking about being on the same level in quantity, because for quality, it's not even worth discussing (with some fantastic exceptions).

Of course, this literally has nothing to do with how little the dub actors are paid, so I think we should stop derailing the conversation. It's purely speculative anyway.

Last edited by Ishida_Akira(fake) on Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
DevilBrew wrote:

You know there are unionization efforts for other companies people support all the time like Starbucks? I don't know why you're so motivated to paint pro-union supporters as hypocrites in this thread but you're not winning people to your side.
Metamarphosis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Do you seriously think the JJK0 movie went on the gross all that money primarily through subbed showings? If you do, then you really don't understand the relevance of what having an English dub can mean for an anime release, and that line of yours truly is just code for "I don't care about dubs".

In China and Asia movie showing subbed only. There is no english dubs. People will mad if cinema showing dub version. They like Japan voice more.
Sketchor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:14 pm Reply with quote
DevilBrew wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
DevilBrew wrote:

You'll have to go on a pointless witch hunt against the entire industry then. Anime dubs being non union for the most part is a well known fact so I don't see why everyone is treating this as some watergate moment. Not even dragon ball, one of the most popular and wealthy franchises out there, is union so it's weird to expect this for every show.
Saying "I'd think it would be a good idea to have unions and for workers to be paid fairly" = witch hunt to you apparently. Rolling Eyes

Considering the petty vitriol many of the commenters have here and them.wishing for CR to financially suffer, I say witch hunt accurate. You don't need a union to be paid fairly.

Kinda does seem like a union is necessary to get paid fairly in this case among others because the talent is clearly not getting paid well. More to the point the union helps freelancers get health insurance and other benefits a contractor would not offer even if they paid higher wages. Not all unions are created equal but SAG-AFTRA does a lot of good for their members and making a project a union contract does not prevent non-union actors from working on the project and it can even be the doorway to get into the union if they want that.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
As you mention, though, the stuff GKIDS released to theaters aren't exactly in the same type of title as JJK; if anything, GKIDS' stuff is more "art house", in comparison, which people would prefer subbed. We'd have to see how stuff like Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero's theatrical split was for a better comparison.

I'd say using Dragon Ball would be even less relevant to JJK than one of the GKIDS releases. It's Macy's Day parade-levels of well-known. It's also old. It heavily ran on American TV in English for years at a time when millions were watching and couldn't access the Japanese version easily. JJK launched in a completely different world and does not have that mainstream cache. I mean, the fact that DBS: Super Hero was the first DB theatrical release to have a subbed showing in the U.S. should tell you it's an IP that's way out of the norm for anime.

It doesn't matter anyway, because like I said, we don't have the sub/dub splits for Sony's releases because they release both on the same day.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Considering the petty vitriol many of the commenters have here and them.wishing for CR to financially suffer, I say witch hunt accurate. You don't need a union to be paid fairly
Literally nobody is wanting Crunchyroll to suffer. We want Crunchyroll to stop overworking their staff and actors and to pay them their fair wages. Why don’t you want that for them if you support Crunchyroll so much?
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:28 am Reply with quote
Ishida_Akira(fake) wrote:

Not quite so simple. If no dubs were available, many, if not most of the people who would go to see a movie dubbed will do see a movie subbed. Good luck trying to get 95% of sub watchers to watch a dubbed movie. You'd need to tie them down like in The Clockwork Orange.

Statisically speaking, this is laugably off-base. The lack of a dub for something simply means significantly less people watch that thing. Period. This has been true since the earliest days of the industry and doesn't even apply to anime specifically (I guarantee you Disney Japan isn't making most of their money from English-only screenings). Literally no anime has found anything resembling mainstream success overseas without some kind of dub for the local audience English or otherwise, and the hardcore market of sub-only watchers is not nearly as big as some people think it is, even with how much larger the industry has grown. Heck, Crunchyroll isn't out here making dubs out of the goodness of their hearts. It's because people watch them, and having them gets more eyeballs on their service. If they thought they'd make just as much money not having dubs, they'd be shutting them down as we speak (until the Sony acqusition, it was pretty clear from their marketing that they didn't even care that much about promoting their own dubs to begin with). As the industry gets bigger so does the demand for dubs(again it is not a coincidence they are dubbing more stuff than before, and they are not doing it just to "please the fans"), and all of this really shouldn't be anything more than the cost of doing business (especially since this whole thing isn't even about higher pay specifically and rates have been raised a little anyway) but CR keeps insisting on putting their heads in the ground when it comes to compensating people fairly whether its actors or translators. That needs to change.
GasterTheGreat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Statisically speaking, this is laugably off-base. The lack of a dub for something simply means significantly less people watch that thing. Period. This has been true since the earliest days of the industry and doesn't even apply to anime specifically (I guarantee you Disney Japan isn't making most of their money from English-only screenings). Literally no anime has found anything resembling mainstream success overseas without some kind of dub for the local audience English or otherwise, and the hardcore market of sub-only watchers is not nearly as big as some people think it is, even with how much larger the industry has grown. Heck, Crunchyroll isn't out here making dubs out of the goodness of their hearts. It's because people watch them, and having them gets more eyeballs on their service. If they thought they'd make just as much money not having dubs, they'd be shutting them down as we speak (until the Sony acqusition, it was pretty clear from their marketing that they didn't even care that much about promoting their own dubs to begin with). As the industry gets bigger so does the demand for dubs(again it is not a coincidence they are dubbing more stuff than before, and they are not doing it just to "please the fans"), and all of this really shouldn't be anything more than the cost of doing business (especially since this whole thing isn't even about higher pay specifically and rates have been raised a little anyway) but CR keeps insisting on putting their heads in the ground when it comes to compensating people fairly whether its actors or translators. That needs to change.

A dub in general might matter to the more mainstream audiences but that also leads to them not particularly caring about who is voicing the characters which is part of the reason companies can replace them at will. Huge properties like Dragonball, Sailor Moon, Shaman King, One Piece, Digimon, and Pokemon have cycled through voice actors multiple times. and aside from a few odd complaints on the internet you might find it hasn't affected their popularity at all.

It happens in American animation all the time too. A lot of cartoons based on movies have to forgo the original celebrity voice-actor because it would be out of their budget from old Disney Afternoon cartoons to modern day shows like the Hotel Transylvania TV series. I think the issue is more how English voice actors are seen as expendable in this industry compared to the Japanese side.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
GasterTheGreat wrote:

A dub in general might matter to the more mainstream audiences but that also leads to them not particularly caring about who is voicing the characters which is part of the reason companies can replace them at will. Huge properties like Dragonball, Sailor Moon, Shaman King, One Piece, Digimon, and Pokemon have cycled through voice actors multiple times. and aside from a few odd complaints on the internet you might find it hasn't affected their popularity at all.

It happens in American animation all the time too. A lot of cartoons based on movies have to forgo the original celebrity voice-actor because it would be out of their budget from old Disney Afternoon cartoons to modern day shows like the Hotel Transylvania TV series. I think the issue is more how English voice actors are seen as expendable in this industry compared to the Japanese side.

Unfortunately, yeah. I remember watching things like the Aladdin series and noticing pretty quickly that Genie wasn't Robin Williams. Recasting for different reasons has been around for a long time, and it goes back to the idea that a company isn't going to pay more just because it can. Those celebrities come with marketable name recognition to sell tickets. It's not like Disney couldn't afford it, but they weren't going to do it when the costs are less correlated to the income.
db999

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
GasterTheGreat wrote:

Unfortunately, yeah. I remember watching things like the Aladdin series and noticing pretty quickly that Genie wasn't Robin Williams. Recasting for different reasons has been around for a long time, and it goes back to the idea that a company isn't going to pay more just because it can. Those celebrities come with marketable name recognition to sell tickets. It's not like Disney couldn't afford it, but they weren't going to do it when the costs are less correlated to the income.

I don’t really think this is a good argument, people do care who voices people in dubs. The fact that this thread has 10 pages of replies immediately debunks this point because if people didn’t care there wouldn’t be so many comments. Also using Aladdin isn’t the best example because they didn’t recast Robin Williams because of money, they recast him because he refused to work with Disney after they lied to him. The only reason he agreed to be the Genie in Aladdin was that he made a deal with Disney that they wouldn’t use his name to market the movie. But guess what happened they used his name heavily in promoting the movie meaning they outright lied to him. This would cause him to not work with Disney for like a decade. It was only because a bunch of time had passed that he agreed to come back to voice the Genie for the third Aladdin movie. And another reason why celebrities who voice characters in movies don't return for the tv show isn't necessarily because the company doesn't want to pay them the money, but because those stars might just be very busy and in demand and not have the time to do the TV Show version. And at least recently with some series, this isn't true as they were able to bring back both Zachari Levi, and Mandy Moore for the Tangled TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11