• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyle McCarley May Not Star in Mob Psycho 100 III Anime Due to Disagreement with Crunchyroll ab

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
Metamarphosis wrote:
In China and Asia movie showing subbed only. There is no english dubs. People will mad if cinema showing dub version. They like Japan voice more.

Fine, but everything about this thread is in relation to North America, as is the talk of JJK0 grossing $30 million dollars in North America alone. This is about North American anime news & related situations, so what's done in Asia has little to no relevance here.

In North America, releasing an anime theatrically without a dub will undoubtedly result in a poorer performance, financially. While Asia audiences don't care about showing a dubbed version in theaters, it is imperative that an dubbed option be made available in North America.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:02 pm Reply with quote
DevilBrew wrote:
[You don't need a union to be paid fairly.

Considering how easy it is for companies, like those doing non-union dubs, to screw non-unionized people over fair pay and benefits, yes, yes you do...
Philmister978

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
theEugAbides wrote:
Good on Crunchyroll stand your ground don't let the union bully their way into voice over talent in Texas, I'm gonna be honest here cause i hate everything to do with California actors attempts to bring unions over to Crunchyroll hasn't worked and i honestly don't really care at all for mob psycho 100 anyways the animation really throws me off so that's my reason , but i do enjoy other anime and will continue to buy and support Crunchyroll forever

The issue here isn't just unions, I know the Texas actors are mixed regarding all these union issues and whatnot, but several of them have admitted that CR's working them too hard and aren't getting enough payment for their own work (I know Alexis Tipton mentioned this when the dub for Takt.op Destiny dropped back when in-person recording started to be a thing again). Odds are,they'll eventually find a state that's not only cheaper than Texas, but more willing to follow what Crunchy's willing to say and do the more people speak out against the company's practices.

You also forget that many of these actors have professional relationships even with the space between states, and would be more than willing to support their actors if it got too much even for them. While Sony and CR are multi-billion dollar companies that only give a rat's ass over how much money they make. If they see more dissent among even the Texas actors, they will do something about it, be it either they fire the actors speaking out against them; or as I mentioned above, take the work out of state entirely to another RtW one more willing to comply.

This isn't as cut and dry as you, and several other Texas VA supporters, like to believe. It's clear the main reason the Texan voice pool doesn't speak out over this more often is that those actors need work (like all actors do), and they aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them if they value their jobs, even it pays like complete garbage and overworks them. What CR is doing with Mob Psycho is incredibly scummy and is only being done out of spite against Kyle and the other actors who are calling for Union rights.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Convention panel attendance and autograph lines say otherwise. Hardcore fans that post in anime-specific forums and social media spheres and favor Japanese VAs and subtitled versions are a vocal minority.
As compared to convention panel attendance and autograph lines for Japanese VAs?
Los Nido

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:07 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
I don’t really think this is a good argument, people do care who voices people in dubs. The fact that this thread has 10 pages of replies immediately debunks this point because if people didn’t care there wouldn’t be so many comments.

I wouldn't use a forum thread on the internet as an indicator of anything. Some people care, of course, but do people care enough to boycott a project over it? And do enough fans who care that much even exist for boycott to actually work if they did? It's unfortunate fans of the Mob Pycho 100 dub will have to adjust to new voice actors, but it's hardly a unique scenario. A lot of people were upset Sonic in the live-action Sonic movie was not being voiced by Roger Craig Smith, including himself who said he felt hurt he wasn't even considered for the role. Yet the movie still did incredibly well and people enjoyed it. The show must go on, as they say. Plus, it seems most people's issue in this thread has to do with wages and unionizing rather than character consistency or preference for one actor over another.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Feared about stuff like this since the merger. Very disappointed in Crunchyroll. Being cheap and uncaring. They can, they just won't.
Kendall TV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:13 am Reply with quote
I'm bumping this thread to say that The Cartoon Cipher recently released a really good and thorough interview with Kyle McCarley. If you want more info about what's going at Crunchyroll with Mob Psycho, listen to this 50-minute interview.

https://soundcloud.com/user-979531365/justameeting-with-kyle-mccarley-about-mob-and-sag-aftra

Kyle talks about how this whole #justameeting idea first came up, what has happened since and why it will never happen ever again. I was surprised to learn from Kyle that CR are still doing some remote recording for Mob Season 3. The entire cast have not been replaced, nor are the entire cast located in Dallas, despite what CR said in their public statement. (Kyle says he's allowed to say this because he hasn't signed any NDAs, so don't worry about him.)

Kyle also talks about the origins of CODA, the updated (2021) dubbing promulgated dubbing agreement and the Netflix dubbing agreement, which I don't think have ever been openly or clearly explained to people outside the dubbing industry. For the longest time I was trying to figure out who CODA even are, but Kyle explains it here.

They also talk about the union and dubbing in general. Kyle says Netflix and Aniplex are strictly union, Viz and 4Kids are partially union, while CR are completely non-union. But he points out that it's kind of a messed up situation with CR because CR command so much more dubbing productions than those other companies but refuse to go union (in Texas), even though CR are literally streaming union shows right now from Aniplex, who are also owned by Sony.

And they discuss questions about non-union actors being in union productions and other such topic, which always seem to come up in discussions when there are anime fans who are anti-union because they think unions lock them or their favorite VAs out of roles. (Like a few people in this very thread!)

Excellent interview overall with well-researched questions by The Cartoon Cipher.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
. What CR is doing with Mob Psycho is incredibly scummy and is only being done out of spite against Kyle and the other actors who are calling for Union rights.

Perhaps I misread the original article, but my understanding is the Crunchyroll is not doing anything to Kyle.

Kyle choose to not work on Mob Psycho because it is not a Union job, and Crunchyroll wasn't going to promise that future work would be Union either. That was a choice that Kyle made.

Your comment makes it seem like that Crunchyroll is punishing pro Union voice actors, but that was not stated in the original article.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:17 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Philmister978 wrote:
. What CR is doing with Mob Psycho is incredibly scummy and is only being done out of spite against Kyle and the other actors who are calling for Union rights.

Perhaps I misread the original article, but my understanding is the Crunchyroll is not doing anything to Kyle.

Kyle choose to not work on Mob Psycho because it is not a Union job, and Crunchyroll wasn't going to promise that future work would be Union either. That was a choice that Kyle made.

Your comment makes it seem like that Crunchyroll is punishing pro Union voice actors, but that was not stated in the original article.

Kyle did not want to work with CR because they did not want to do the meeting he requested… not because it was not a Union job.. he already stated that in his video that he does do non union contracts but rarely… be he normally does non union with CR but decided to not take the contract this because because CR decided to NOT agree to his request for a meeting with SAG AFTRA
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:15 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

You misread it (and misunderstood Kyle's own statements in the article). Kyle offered to work non-union on this dub. His only prerequisite was that CR agree to have a meeting with union reps. He did not require that they come to agreement, make a contract, or guarantee any kind of future union work. The trending hashtag for this is "#justameeting" for that reason.

The first sentence:
Quote:
Voice actor Kyle McCarley revealed on Tuesday in a video on his YouTube channel that he may not reprise his role as protagonist Shigeo "Mob" Kageyama in the upcoming English dub of Mob Psycho 100 III because Crunchyroll is not complying with his request that the company meet with Screen Actors Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) union representatives to negotiate a potential contract on future productions.

Quote:
McCarley went to Crunchyroll with the offer that he would work non-union on this season on the condition that Crunchyroll negotiate a potential contract on future productions with SAG-AFTRA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes, you are right, I slightly misunderstood the statement, but Crunchyroll deciding not to meet Kyle's demand for a meeting, does not equate to Crunchyroll punishing Kyle for his pro Union views. If Crunchyroll has no plans to Unionize, then it is a waste of everyone's time to have a fake meeting. Kyle stood up for what he believes, and that is all on him. That is my sole point.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:33 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

If Crunchyroll has no plans to Unionize, then it is a waste of everyone's time to have a fake meeting.

But it is not a waste of everyone's time because they'll get Kyle back, even if they have to fake it

Now they have to recast, re-audition roles, re-hire a new director, all this brouhahaha and PR hit - when they could had just faked a meeting

They've wasted more time than just having faked a meeting for a couple hours
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11