• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III, Cat's Eye Get CG Crossover Anime in 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:14 am Reply with quote
Everyone's talking about Lupin, but I'm most excited for some more Cat's Eye! Absolutely love to see it getting some love.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Anyway, hopefully this leads to a remake with new animation for Cat's Eye. Kinda weird this gets a cross over with Lupin now, you'd think this woulda happened like 32 years ago at the latest haha but yeah, both share a similar theme, better late than never for the cross over as the saying goes. lol

I'd be down for more Cat's Eye, just so long as it's not CG...
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Here is the thing though. L3 x CE cross over takes place in the 80's, Detective Conan CLEARLY takes place later than that, around the end of the 90's or early 2000's I think, yet Lupin doesn't look like he's aged, nor does Fujiko, despite both being smokers and that ages ya further. (And I need to point out Fujiko was very interested in Conan due to the aging reversal she found out about him, despite still looking young when they did their cross over).

The Green Vs Red OAV hinted that there may actually be more than one Lupin III, and that the previous one selects his successor as he gets older (à la the Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride). But even if you don't like that explanation, we're talking about a franchise that has featured the vampiric twin sister of Jesus Christ, a life elixir drawn from a mermaid and an immortal Leonardo Da Vinci. You could easily exlain it away by the whole gang getting exposed to some youth-extending McGuffin at some point.

Incidentally, this is actually the third time that Lupin has crossed over with another anime franchise, since there was also a crossover with The Rose Of Versailles in the second tv series. So Oscar, Ran Mouri, Fujiko and Kaori Makimura now all exist in the same universe.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
Villain-chan wrote:
Here is the thing though. L3 x CE cross over takes place in the 80's, Detective Conan CLEARLY takes place later than that, around the end of the 90's or early 2000's I think, yet Lupin doesn't look like he's aged, nor does Fujiko, despite both being smokers and that ages ya further. (And I need to point out Fujiko was very interested in Conan due to the aging reversal she found out about him, despite still looking young when they did their cross over).

The Green Vs Red OAV hinted that there may actually be more than one Lupin III, and that the previous one selects his successor as he gets older (à la the Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride). But even if you don't like that explanation, we're talking about a franchise that has featured the vampiric twin sister of Jesus Christ, a life elixir drawn from a mermaid and an immortal Leonardo Da Vinci. You could easily exlain it away by the whole gang getting exposed to some youth-extending McGuffin at some point.

Incidentally, this is actually the third time that Lupin has crossed over with another anime franchise, since there was also a crossover with The Rose Of Versailles in the second tv series. So Oscar, Ran Mouri, Fujiko and Kaori Makimura now all exist in the same universe.
While my memory of that RvG OAV is lacking some, I recall thinking to myself that it wasn't canon, due to something that either happens towards the end or one of the Lupins that was revealed. Either way, the only way RvG makes sense is dream, multiple realities fusing together or just simply not canon. As for ur explanation I bolded there, u could but that'd only possibly work in the Lupin series itself, but the moment u believe the Vs. Conan is canon and that Lupin shares the same world as Conan and vice versa, then u run into the issue where as i pointed out earlier that Fujiko wanted the secrets to being young forever which Conan's body held a clue on as she was after that and said as much. Basically if she'd been immortal, she wouldn't have said that to Conan much less tried to strip the poor boy.

For me its easier to believe unless otherwise stated in a series/movie/ova etc., that each time Lupin dawns a dif colored Jacket, thats a dif reality for Lupin and co than the last one we saw. So u got 1 timeline where Green jacket exists, another timeline for the red jacket, another for pink etc. Ofc, any long running series WILL have some contradictions where impossible stuff happens due to it running so long (Such as the countless cases Conan has encountered in such a short time span...) so at the end of the day it just comes down to what u believe is the more likely case, or just whatever ya wanna believe.
Dumas1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The character designs look just a bit off to me, but the premise has a lot of potential. It feels like one of those natural crossovers that should've happened years ago, possibly with City Hunter thrown into the mix. I can just see Fujiko borrowing a hammer off Kaori once she's fed up with (or finished manipulating) the two knuckleheads.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:27 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Considering probably the best part of Part III was its wild animation, it is sort of painful Pink Jacket's comeback is in stiff CGI.

Kind of wondering if Polygon Pictures is colaborating with TMS on this based on the credited staff. That could explain a bit about the visual style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2