• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
.. of course murder is bad and it seems uncontroversial that Toga is "more evil" than Endeavor? But to the extent that there are interesting things to say about Toga, it's about the sympathetic aspects of her backstory and motivation, and to the extent that there are interesting things to say about Endeavor, it's about whether his redemption is or can be earned. I'm not really sure what it accomplishes to insist on directly comparing their moral ledgers.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
I love whenever MHA turns into Keeping Up With The Todorokis Laughing

I admit I'm not a big fan of Dabi. He always stuck out like a sore thumb in the League since everyone there's like a family but he never really cared about them, and other than his backstory he doesn't have much going for him in terms of personality, kind of like Shoto.

With that said, I do agree that this was one of the best episodes of the show so far, and I love what this all means for Endeavor. I can also sympathize with wanting to better yourself and feeling like you're doing good, but then remembering that the things you did in the past can always come back to haunt you.

Anyway, if society is still standing after all this, I suggest the Todorokis start looking into family therapy.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:04 am Reply with quote
Dabi, Endeavor, and Shoto awkwardly sitting on a couch together, talking to a counselor, is an off-shoot series I'd watch.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
The original "Dabi's Dance" manga chapter out trended the 2020 USA Presidential election for a while.

Also, also, I didn't like how they spoiled Best Jeanist appearance at the beginning of the episode, in the manga you didn't know who was in that ship, but, whatever.

I remember getting spoiled about the chapter on like Tumblr days before even chapter leaks were usually out. It trended everywhere and spoiled many, many people. Most readers expected the Toya-theory was going to be true, but most didn't know when it was going to be revealed; so the knowing-it-was-coming part getting spoiled still sucked.

I'd be pretty surprised if there are anime-only viewers who managed to be surprised by this reveal. Manga spoilers have been everywhere and even this season's OP/ED have been not-subtle about the possible connection between Endeavor and Dabi.

I didn't like the Best Jeanist thing either; literally no point to showing him beforehand when his supposed death was part of Dabi's speech. They could've kept him fully in silhouette and keen listeners might've recognized his voice. Just a dumb change.
NobaraBG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I missed what happened with Dabi:

spoiler[Did he kill himself? Have an accident? Can someone explain it?]
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
I'd be pretty surprised if there are anime-only viewers who managed to be surprised by this reveal. Manga spoilers have been everywhere and even this season's OP/ED have been not-subtle about the possible connection between Endeavor and Dabi.

I had not seen an explicit confirmation of it prior to this episode, but obviously strongly suspected it was true. Also had no idea it was coming in this particular episode. That's probably about as unspoiled as is possible in this case, I figure.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
NobaraBG wrote:

spoiler[They'll delve into it later on.]
NobaraBG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
NobaraBG wrote:

spoiler[They'll delve into it later on.]

Thank you! I'm glad I didn't miss something.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:06 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
I'd be pretty surprised if there are anime-only viewers who managed to be surprised by this reveal...
I had not seen an explicit confirmation of it prior to this episode...Also had no idea it was coming in this particular episode. That's probably about as unspoiled as is possible in this case, I figure.
Well, I'm one who was also surprised that this Ep just "dropped it in there" because it had no lead in and came from nowhere. I knew it was coming from a couple of years back so I was looking, but there wasn't a hint before this. You might want to ask why his flame is blue...
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
I'd be pretty surprised if there are anime-only viewers who managed to be surprised by this reveal...
I had not seen an explicit confirmation of it prior to this episode...Also had no idea it was coming in this particular episode. That's probably about as unspoiled as is possible in this case, I figure.
Well, I'm one who was also surprised that this Ep just "dropped it in there" because it had no lead in and came from nowhere. I knew it was coming from a couple of years back so I was looking, but there wasn't a hint before this. You might want to ask why his flame is blue...

I actually expected his flame to be blue as a kid, so that the anime made it regular-flame color surprised me.

@NeverConvex I'm glad, that sounds like a more ideal experience!
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:50 pm Reply with quote
His flame is blue for the same reason Azula's: it's higher temperature than Endeavor's and Shoto's.

Endeavor himself says Toya had his same Quirk but stronger, as a child his flame was not as hot, for obvious reasons, so it was red/orange, it would actually be a plothole if it was blue at such young age.

As a side note, Dabi being Toya has been a obvious for most of the fanbase since forever and it was never supposed to be a secret, the expectation was not "Who is Dabi?" but "How would the Todorokis react to it?".

It's called "Dramatic Irony", when the audience knows something the characters don't.

If you were one of those who didn't pick it up, then, there is no problem, not everybody can pick all the signals and you get surprised anyways.

Nowadays writers are too obsessed with "Surprising the audience" and lead to us to disasters like "Armageddon 2001" which changed it's twist villain after the fanbase guessed it to a character that made no sense and ruined the thing.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:04 pm Reply with quote
The anime never seems to nail Mirio's character design. His face always looks off to me and it bugs me. Still, it's nice to see my boy back.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:21 am Reply with quote
Fun fact: when this chapter was fan translated they called Bakugo's name Dynamite, when the official translation called him Dynamight some people went ballistic claiming Viz was censoring.

I may not be a big-city translator, but I immediately got the pun, some people is too slow with the brains and too fast with their mouths.

Also, there is something I didn't like, when Dabi takes Hado down he shoots a HUGE fire blast and she literally falls in a fire ball, in the anime he barely flames her and she just goes down.

I get the anime is censored, but, that made her look weak.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Also, there is something I didn't like, when Dabi takes Hado down he shoots a HUGE fire blast and she literally falls in a fire ball, in the anime he barely flames her and she just goes down.

I get the anime is censored, but, that made her look weak.

Yeah, she gets scorched in the manga. The way chapters are mashed together, I think she gets back into the fight a chapter or so later, so here it's like she gets right back up.

I thought the cold open recap was a waste of time that could've been something else, and a couple moments annoyed me; mainly the scene of Hawks saying he didn't want to fight Twice(while ignoring that he stabs him in the back later), and the scene of Kirishima drugging Machia(while ignoring Mina's contribution to the moment). The episode as a whole felt a a downgrade visually from the last week or so.

I've never felt comfortable with Eri giving Mirio his powers back. How is it different for this organization(who has adopted her) to use a six-year-old's power for their own gain compared to Overhaul's? That she chose to do it herself? It's always felt weird, especially in an arc that is spending a lot of time questioning the ethics and morality of this super-cop society.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

I've never felt comfortable with Eri giving Mirio his powers back. How is it different for this organization(who has adopted her) to use a six-year-old's power for their own gain compared to Overhaul's? That she chose to do it herself? It's always felt weird, especially in an arc that is spending a lot of time questioning the ethics and morality of this super-cop society.

There are several differences that come to mind, the most important being that Eri wasn't tortured or maimed to accomplish it. There's also the fact that she sees Mirio as a friend and wants to help him, and this is another way for her to use her power to help people so she won't see her Quirk as a curse. I imagine she also feels guilty that it was her power that de-powered him and that it happened while he was protecting her, so helping him would go a long way in her own recovery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9