• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
This was another fun and solid ending to an arc!

We got Aileen humiliating Selena and saving the day, Rachel and Isaac's ship progressing smoothly, Aileen gaining more subordinates and making a Reverse Harem question their sexuality, the mastermind exposed, and some sweet and funny AileenxClaude moments. I guess we're saving a kiss on the lips for the wedding, huh?

But yeah, now that they've finally revealed the truth about Lilia, she seems like a perfect foil for Aileen. Someone who has the same knowledge she does but still only sees the world as a game and feels free to use and dispose of people because she just regards them as NPC's, and only Aileen knows the truth.

Looks like arc 3 will involve Aileen back in her red dress at a masquerade and getting kidnapped by...Claude!?
Kirki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not the only one who sees Levi and Petra in Isaac and Rachael, right? RIGHT?
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cedric messed up so badly that even when his brother has no memories and is completely unfit to rule, his father will still choose his brother other him.

That one makes sense. Less about Cedric messing up but more that Claude is the 1st born and was going to inherit anyway until the whole demon power thing so it makes sense that without demon powers he'd be the 1st in succession again anyway.

But yea the whole 'unfit for my son thing' is silly when Aileen is the daughter of a Duke and said Duke has a high position in the Kingdom. She's not some minor noble.
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:

But yea the whole 'unfit for my son thing' is silly when Aileen is the daughter of a Duke and said Duke has a high position in the Kingdom. She's not some minor noble.

Generously applying some real world logic here:
Any ruler doing this when they're not an absolutist sovereign in the likes of the Tsar (which the king isn't, else he could've pushed for his firstborn as heir no matter the noble's backlash) is digging their own grave. A single well placed rumour and then later confirmation by Aileen's father (alongside his resignation) is going make the peers of the kingdom seriously doubt their allegiance. After all, if a king can take back his word to the daughter of a duke who has a high ranking position and said daughter and the heir apparent are obviously very fond of each other, who's guaranteeing that it won't happen to any other peer? And not just marriage, clerks and minister appointments, too?
Ask the English kings and Holy Roman Emperors how they know...

Did the king sleep in ruling 101 or was he nipping on his mother's breasts that day?

Well anyway, more fun antics for Aileen; Rie Takahashi is really nailing it (as always, i might add).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Can we trust Elephas? It seems mighty convenient that the final boss of the fan disc would end up becoming an ally so quickly, even taking into account how that's happened for all the other game plots. Also, now Kouki Uchiyama shows up!

Kana Hanazawa is playing Lilia and her hidden villainy so well.

It's bad enough that Aileen has to deal with Lilia but her in-laws and their loli baba grandmother (who looks Japanese. Is it her or her demon blood that's preserved her age?) hate her for some reason.

But Aileen is no tragic heroine. If the man she loves has amnesia and she's barred from seeing him, she'll risk everything just to make sure he's okay and declare her love and desire for him once more.

Also, Cedric redemption arc? I guess he's finally realized Lilia is using him, like Claude said.

And it feels really full-circle that, with Claude amnesiac, Aileen is once again proposing marriage but now she's being the aggressive and flirty one because she's genuinely fallen in love with him compared to before.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:33 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Can we trust Elephas? It seems mighty convenient that the final boss of the fan disc would end up becoming an ally so quickly, even taking into account how that's happened for all the other game plots. Also, now Kouki Uchiyama shows up!

Yeah, Lilia is a monster, but she's not an idiot. Surely she's recognised the pattern of "Eileen befriends the game's villains and uses them to usurp the game's plot and secure her own victory"? So get to them first! It's the obvious play given she's switched to PvP mode, so probably isn't prioritizing quest completion any more.

Shame for ol' Claude that Eileen can only really be emotionally honest with him when he's forgotten who she is!
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, not a fan of the tired amnesia trope either, but 'being stabbed in the gut' being the cause is a new one by me Laughing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:34 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Aileen actually struggling, if only emotionally. Like we're so used to her being so brazen, calculating, and aggressive and never stopping at any obstacle in her path, but now that she's so in love with Claude it can't help but hurt that the person she loves most in the world doesn't love her back. It lets her show her more vulnerable side and feel more fully fleshed out as a character.

Color me surprised we're getting a Selena subplot. And that Auguste seems to actually care about her. Could they get together in the end?
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:05 am Reply with quote
Episode Review wrote:
Do Selena and Auguste have some kind of shared backstory? Because if so, I'm ashamed to say I missed that.

If I remember correctly, Auguste is the canon route of the second game (and Selena is the heroine).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Why does the royal family seem to have it out for Aileen? Do they just look down on her as a lower noblewoman? Is that an excuse to continually look for excuses to execute her?

I like how Aileen was still bitter but once Claude was back to his charming, romantic, self she just couldn't help herself.

I knew Elephas joining up with them so quickly despite being a bad guy in the game was too good to be true. I feel like there's no way for him to come back from his actions in this episode though.

It's bad enough to frame the girl for the umpteenth time, but to make her play the villainess to the man she loves after he just said he loves her? For shame.

Poor Almond...just, poor Almond...

Did Lilia get that second holy sword from the sequel game plot?

Feels like they'll have a lot going into the finale...Aileen surviving that fall, whatever Lilia is doing to Claude, how Aileen will deal with Lilia and the loli baba, Claude getting all his memories back, and most importantly of all...Aileen and Claude completely reuniting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The big takeaway from this episode is the idea that nature matters much more than nurture when it comes to personality. Things like the way Claude sits and how he likes his tea have not changed even with memory loss.

Those things aren't necessarily indicators of nature over nurture. Memory isn't solely a mental phenomenon. Habits aren't conscious because over time the physical body has learned and adapted to repeated behaviors. So how he sits is more likely muscle memory/habit, and his preference in tea is either a similar learned reaction...or they just make crappy tea in this castle compared to the demon castle.

Yeah, I was wondering how Lilia got another holy sword too.

My bet is that Elephas will turn out to be a good guy after all (even Aileen was confused that he wasn't an ally), somehow being blackmailed or threatened by the Queen, and that's how Almond will not be actually dead. And wth was up with that lengthy beast dance number in the middle of everything? Talk about yanking me out of the story with a shepherd's crook.
DracoInduperator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:42 pm Reply with quote
At the end of episode 11 when they were accusing Aileen of plotting to destroy the Capital with the Demon Incense all I could think was this is how the scene should have gone without the hostage:
Bad Actor 1: "You were planning on using the Demon Incense to make the Demons attack and destroy the capital!"
Dowager Empress: "My how frightening..."
Momma's Boy King: "You're right! Seize and kill that girl!"
Villainess: "B*tch please. If I wanted the Demon's to attack, I wouldn't need to use Incense, I am their Queen in all but name. I have stopped not one but two wars. I own a majority of the economy in this and decent chunks in neighboring countries. I have the Church's greatest warriors under my thumb. The Duke of the Academy has pledged to support me if I ever need any help. Plus, I'm the wielder of the Sacred Sword and descendent of the Holy Shrine Maiden. So please, tell me how I need illegal drugs to get what I want, let alone think you can stand against me."
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:22 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first two thirds of this show, then the final third utterly soured me on it. Memory loss arcs really are the absolute worst, rivalled only by "protagonist loses all of their powers" arcs.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:37 am Reply with quote
Once again, they completely rushed the ending of this arc. You're right, a lot of details that were in the LN were missing in the anime, such as Serena becoming Aileen's guard, Claude giving Aileen a wedding ring that has enough magic power as 10 Elefases etc. It's also too bad that we didn't get to see Claude and Aileen's first night, because it was really hilarious in the LN!

Quote:
Claude and Cedric performed a coup d'etat and removed their father and grandmother from the throne—i.e., they committed treason together

Actually just Claude. In the LN there's a full scene where Claude entered the throne room and exiled the emperor and empress dowager. Claude basically held the empress dowager hostage because he can recreate the item that restores her youth. But yeah, the anime completely cut the scene.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:53 am Reply with quote
My final thoughts:

This was a very fun romp! It was funny and serious at different times and had a nice level of quirk suited to the type of story it was. Aileen was fantastic and the villain was deliciously evil. The ending was perfectly heartwarming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3