• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Urusei Yatsura

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:07 am Reply with quote
Another good episode. I LOVE the lipstick-less redesign for Kurama which is in both the old anime series and manga. I also think that purple works better then green for her two-tone hair design.
ChrisKris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:32 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the latest ep.
Especially spoiler[when they are holding hands.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukinoSpoon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The second half was probably the most enjoyable part of the series so far, particularly with how Lum seems to be sympathetic of even Ataru’s inadequacies. She didn’t cry because he’s trying to go on a date with someone else, she cried because she genuinely felt bad for him. And maybe Ataru isn’t as dense as he seems to be.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:18 pm Reply with quote
It's all comedy, petty jealousy, and characters being jerks until you get Lum showing that she really does love Ataru and doing something for his sake and in turn Ataru seems to be finally starting to fall for her.

But also...more aliens!
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:18 am Reply with quote
This episode was fantastic, especially the second segment. I'm tempted to watch episode 10 of the original series since it does the chapter as a full episode and I'm interested in seeing a different take on it.

Also there's been a ton of Ataru x Mendo teasing moments between this ep and the cave ep...
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
UY's magic doesn't find its groove until you get a critical mass of these characters and their hangups/obsessions bouncing off of each other, so I can see why they're racing through the intros. Still a ton of characters yet to come, though.

Glad to see this adaptation is winning over some younger viewers. I think they're doing a very good job with it so far. The only thing I find regrettable is Megane and his crew's demotion back to "random student" status as in the manga, but 1) it was the original anime that expanded them into such memorable characters, and 2) there is only one Shigeru Chiba.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:10 pm Reply with quote
They can sometimes be few and far between, but when it wants to UY can give us some of the most romantic, "Awww" worthy moments in all of anime...
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:31 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Also there's been a ton of Ataru x Mendo teasing moments between this ep and the cave ep...
He also spends the better part of the episode excited about a possible date with "Kumino Otoko" (lit. "a guy from class"). I have nothing against gay jokes when they're funny as hell.

I think owe Rumiko Takahashi most of the thanks/blame for my enduring love of Japanese puns.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:23 am Reply with quote
While rare, "Otoko" is plausible as a woman's name. It would be written as 音子 or 乙子, while the character for "man/boy" is 男. Still, the two names taken together are a dead giveaway that "the guys in class" are setting Ataru up for a fall. The fact that he -- a native speaker -- is oblivious to their pun really brings home just how dense he is whenever a woman's on his mind (i.e. always).

Incidentally, I was the recipient of such a letter in my own junior high days. It was from the most popular girl in our year, had terrible handwriting, and was passed to me from the direction opposite of where she was sitting.

"I like you. Do you like me? Check one: Yes / No," it said.

I looked down the table towards where it had come from and saw a wall of expectant, leering grins. So I checked "No" and sent it back, and was immediately swarmed by my own "guys from class," demanding to know why.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:23 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
While rare, "Otoko" is plausible as a woman's name. It would be written as 音子 or 乙子, while the character for "man/boy" is 男. Still, the two names taken together are a dead giveaway that "the guys in class" are setting Ataru up for a fall. The fact that he -- a native speaker -- is oblivious to their pun really brings home just how dense he is whenever a woman's on his mind (i.e. always).

Although in this case, they decided on writing Otoko as おと子 in the actual letter written to Ataru.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Although in this case, they decided on writing Otoko as おと子 in the actual letter written to Ataru.

Also plausible, and vague enough to accommodate the gag.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:31 am Reply with quote
Lum has such wonderful friends who are perfectly okay with flirting with or shagging her man just to mess with her or for their own purpsoes. Then again, that's very on-brand for this show.

Hey, at least Ataru's parents showed they were worried about him! Still ate the Sukiyaki though.

Benten and Oyuki definitely make an impression, especially with their VA's. And especially when Oyuki takes her kimono off...

Also Kappei Yamaguchi finally makes his inevitable appearance in a Rumiko Takahashi anime as the Yeti.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:23 pm Reply with quote
If there's one thing UY has it's beach episodes/chapters. Like way more then your average one and that's even when you take the length of the show/manga into account. Only something like Squid Girl would beat it because it's set on the beach area!

Very surprised we have not seen Rei, Ran or Ten yet. Ten especially since he is missing from some of these episodes that he was in from the 80's version of the show and/or manga.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:44 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

Very surprised we have not seen Rei, Ran or Ten yet. Ten especially since he is missing from some of these episodes that he was in from the 80's version of the show and/or manga.

Judging by the title of next week's episode, we should be seeing Ran get her introduction. They've really been changing around the introductions of the characters for this adaptation, not only in the order by which they're appearing, but by how they appeared. The most recent episode had Tsubame's just randomly showing up with Sakura without much fanfare, whereas the manga and the 80s series had an entire half episode devoted to his introduction where he has to prove his worthiness to be Sakura's fiancee to Cherry. In the new version, Tsubame just casually mentions that he won Cherry's approval.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I love how Lum has basically been crashing school this whole time but now suddenly decided to officially transfer in, complete with school uniform. Also, Hochu Otsuka as the principal, and Kenta Miyake finally asks about the giant cat.

You can definitely tell the era this is set in because the girls still wear bloomers for their PE uniforms.

Ran is hilarious. Just seeing her glowing from a pleasant, typical, HanaKana character to swearing deep and profuse vengeance against Lum for stealing the guy they mutually crushed on was great. Hanazawa plays characters who shift emotional extremes very well.

Color me surprised Lum was actually engaged to a guy before and had been in love before Ataru. Makes me wonder what happened to him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7