• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Urusei Yatsura

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukinoSpoon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's because I was watching the latest Spy x Family episode right before I watched this episode and I've filled my quota of vindictive love rivals (looking at you, Fiona Frost), but Ran really, really annoyed me. I can't think of a single redeeming quality in the character, which I guess means UY reached its goal what with the series name being all about obnoxious people Laughing
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:20 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Color me surprised Lum was actually engaged to a guy before and had been in love before Ataru. Makes me wonder what happened to him.

You’ll find out next episode, I believe they’ll be officially introducing him in the next episode.

[quote=“TsukinoSpoon]I don't know if it's because I was watching the latest Spy x Family episode right before I watched this episode and I've filled my quota of vindictive love rivals (looking at you, Fiona Frost), but Ran really, really annoyed me. I can't think of a single redeeming quality in the character, which I guess means UY reached its goal what with the series name being all about obnoxious people.
[/quote]

A lot of Ran’s anger is actually pretty justified, but for some reason the episode didn’t show a lot of the flashbacks to Lum and Ran’s childhood that the original manga and TV series had. They’re usually cases of where Lum does something irresponsible and Ran either winds up getting hurt or punished by her mother for things that wasn’t her fault, usually with Lum witnessing the punishment but remaining silent and not taking responsibility. One case in point is the bed wetting incident that Ran threatens to tell everyone about. In that case, after Lum wets the bed she wakes up and pushes the still sleeping Ran into the wet spot and goes back to sleep. The following morning, Ran winds up getting a spanking from her mother for wetting the bed while Lum just stands by and watches. Lum doesn’t remember most of these events adding to Ran’s annoyance.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:36 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't call Ran's anger justified. Most of what she is mad about kids would have either fought about back then or forgot about. Her problem is that she has never beaten Lum at anything. Most of her attempts at revenge are so over the top that they would have caused major problems if they worked. It is best to think of Ran as Wylie Cayote to Lum's Roadrunner.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I like the orange outlines on Rei but you got to admit it's very eye caching. I remember the "Will you marry me?" line being "Will you cook for me?" in the 80's subbed version.

Lum's Mom is finally appearing! And a bit early too! I hope they veer off screenplay a bit and have her interact with Ataru's Father a bit *wink wink*.

Still no Ten yet which is crazy because he's one of the first exotic mainline characters to show up in both the manga and 80's version (episode 9 I believe if my memory is correct). Only reason I can come up with the absence is he's not well liked at least among western fans.

Last edited by ZelosZoidberg on Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:18 am Reply with quote
It's funny that Ataru is no catch, yet Lum absolutely despises Rei. I guess a guy who can only eat and say her name is just not the type of guy she wants to be with for the rest of her life. Ataru keeps rejecting her, but at least he can hold a conversation.

I feel bad for Ataru's dad...and all those guys who got their girlfriends stolen...

Shinobu straight up admits all she cares about is if they're handsome. Mendo being utterly crushed that a guy is more handsome than he is was priceless.

At least Rei remembers Ran's name.

Can't wait for Lum's mom!
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:51 am Reply with quote
An ok episode, but I enjoyed the bits with Ataru's parents.
Nice to see that if it wasn't clear before, Shinobu is just as shallow as Ataru instead of someone to hold to a higher standard. Maybe that's why they got along? Laughing
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:01 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Not sure if I like the orange outlines on Rei but you got to admit it's very eye caching. I remember the "Will you marry me?" line being "Will you cook for me?" in the 80's subbed version.

Lum's Mom is finally appearing! And a bit early too! I hope they veer off screenplay a bit and have her interact with Ataru's Father a bit *wink wink*.

Still no Ten yet which is crazy because he's one of the first exotic mainline characters to show up in both the manga and 80's version (episode 9 I believe if my memory is correct). Only reason I can come up with the absence is he's not well liked at least among western fans.

me, i am waiting for ranma ( prototype).
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:56 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
me, i am waiting for ranma ( prototype).

I don’t think we’re getting Ryunosuke in this half. Before the series started airing, they announced the voice actors for the characters and Ryunosuke was the only one that went unannounced.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I'd love this show as much as I do, maybe because I never saw the original and have nothing to base it off of other then the older character model/look and gonzo humor, yet it works. And I know this may sound bizarre, but what I'm in LOVE with the most is Sumire Uesaka's voice work for Lum. I absolutely love her ending practically every line with 'chi'. It's so sweet sounding and cute I melt every time and when she's not in the scene the show suffers a bit. I look forward to this show as a buffer, especially after watching the gut wrenching Chainsaw Man and WTF Akiba Maid Wars. It's the candy corn anime this season.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:21 pm Reply with quote
So many mom's! But really it was nice to see Fumi Hirano playing Lum's mom even if most of her dialogue was gibberish (and they missed a chance to have her and Toshio Furukawa together), but watching her converse with Sumire Uesaka's Lum and the comedy that ensued was great.

Also nice to get another genuine and romantic chapter between Ataru and Lum.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:51 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
So many mom's! But really it was nice to see Fumi Hirano playing Lum's mom even if most of her dialogue was gibberish (and they missed a chance to have her and Toshio Furukawa together), but watching her converse with Sumire Uesaka's Lum and the comedy that ensued was great.

In the manga, Lum's mother's dialog is represented by mahjong tiles. I don't remember if they have her dialog written in Japanese in scenes when she's talking in scenes that don't take place in the presence of humans, though.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:51 am Reply with quote
That was a very Urusei Yatsura way of heralding the New Year and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Turns out Mendo might be the most normal member of his family! At least the one who doesn't get off on messing with people. I did like how his "dark secret" is finally exposed but it just ends up being a turn on for the girls.

Ryoko is pure chaos wrapped up in a Marina Inoue beauty and I am here for that.

Looking forward to meeting Ten! Apparently their appearing way later into the story, so I'm curious to see what they're like and what their impact on the story will be. I don't think we're getting a new OP and ED, it seems?
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:08 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

In the manga, Lum's mother's dialog is represented by mahjong tiles. I don't remember if they have her dialog written in Japanese in scenes when she's talking in scenes that don't take place in the presence of humans, though.
I think the only time Lum's Mom spoke Japanese is in the first or 3rd movie.

Quote:
it is a little disappointing that Mendo's tendency to regress into a child when locked in the dark was just sort of glossed over despite it popping up more than once in this episode
There is a small arc (2-3 chapters) going over this Mendo trope. Spoiler alert incoming for a possible future episode! spoiler[The gang time travels back in time to find the cause of this and try to fix it but it turns out Mendo through this time traveling (paradox) bit caused it himself!] End of spoiler.

Like the reviewer I like the second bit better. There are a few good X-mas chapters and i'm kinda sad we did not get one of them it seems. There is actually a very good original 80's anime version episode I believe too.

Ten is FINALLY coming! And they are doing one of his best chapters/80's version episode in the second half. Probably for best because most people find him annoying but I find him cute and Ataru deserves what he gets the way he treats him.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:38 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

Like the reviewer I like the second bit better. There are a few good X-mas chapters and i'm kinda sad we did not get one of them it seems. There is actually a very good original 80's anime version episode I believe too.

They definitely missed an opportunity to use one of the Christmas-themed stories for this current holiday season. That actually surprised me considering that the 80s anime had the first of its two Christmas episodes during its first season. If the episode that you're thinking of is the one that I think it is, it is also in the manga.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

They definitely missed an opportunity to use one of the Christmas-themed stories for this current holiday season. That actually surprised me considering that the 80s anime had the first of its two Christmas episodes during its first season. If the episode that you're thinking of is the one that I think it is, it is also in the manga.
Just went though the Omnibuses and yeah it's not an original anime episode but a manga adaption. Lum's outfit in that chapter was soooo cute!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7