• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Man, Sakurai's dad kind of sucks. Basically made sure his son moved out so he could get frisky with his wife again, then she got pregnant and he kept his son completely out of the loop so he missed the birth and even existence of his baby sister so he could continue to monopolize his wife and his daughter.

Ah well, Nodoka looks adorable and Uzaki is becoming more and more basically Shinichi's girlfriend.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:03 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
this season is no where near as good as the first. it is shallow and just not as insightful and sensitive to the original story. It feels forced and really a sad decline. The underlying tensions are boring now, with this presentation and i am sorry to see this as the first season has a lot going for it. It happens fairly often in Anime second and third seasons and i am sorry to see it happen here.

That would be the fault of the original material and its creator, not the anime itself since other than the episode around Uzaki's family in the hot springs, the anime is following the original manga.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:58 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Man, Sakurai's dad kind of sucks. Basically made sure his son moved out so he could get frisky with his wife again, then she got pregnant and he kept his son completely out of the loop so he missed the birth and even existence of his baby sister so he could continue to monopolize his wife and his daughter.

Ah well, Nodoka looks adorable and Uzaki is becoming more and more basically Shinichi's girlfriend.

I remember that chapter was roundly criticized at every internet place I've seen that allows comments, I'm surprised reviewer finds it funny, because missing your sisters existence for two years because your father gaslighted you (and your mother as well) sounds really shitty.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It's cute getting more high school flashbacks for Hana and Sakurai. They were really cute together back then.

Seeing Sakurai's mom throw his dad felt like the most karma we'll get for how badly his dad treated him, especially knowing Papa Sakurai is apparently frequently overpowered by his wife.

Although even Sakurai's dad can give sound enough advice as far as Sakurai needing to commit to how he really feels about Uzaki.

It's funny how no one in that cafe realizes Fujio is actually Uzaki's dad despite talking non-stop about his love life.

Things were going so well, Sakurai was really considering his feelings, and then Uzaki had to play to type at like the worst moment. Sakaki's reaction said it all.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Nodoka is one of the best babies in anything ever, haha. That deadpan expression is just adorable.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:12 pm Reply with quote
They handled the reveal scene amazingly. Just Sakurai trying to leave and Fujio jumping from emotional extremes...and the liquid courage just upping the romance and intimacy while Yanagi records it on her phone.

Also the parents getting bashful knowing they're as all over each other as Sakurai's are.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:08 am Reply with quote
I'd hate to be your table... Shocked
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:56 pm Reply with quote
As a manga reader, it's baffling that they decided to end here. The resort episode basically ruined the pacing if the show, which is ironic because the 2nd season probably wouldn't have been made without the funding from that sponsor. All I can say is if you're upset about the amount of progress made in their relationship spoiler[go read the manga.] separate spoilers for more details spoiler[I legit really love how Sakurai confesses to Uzaki. And then they just...start officially being boyfriend and girlfriend and the story continues. It's really refreshing honestly.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, not a 100% satisfying end to what had been a fun season (even if it felt like the Uzaki Family carried this season hard), but at least Sakurai realized his feelings and both are more considerate and aware of each other, so I feel it's inevitable that they'll get together.

(Who knows, I didn't expect we'd get a season 2, yet here we are...).
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I have been reading the manga, and there wasn't much farther they could go because the source material hasn't gotten much further than this... the spoiler[drunken accidental pinning of Hana to the futon and the realization he loves Hana] happens in Vol. 7, and there are currently only 2 additional volumes out in Japan, consisting of about 15 total chapters, so they don't really have enough source material to base a whole 3rd season on yet... yes, the spoiler[akward confession from Sakurai and the beginnings of their relationship given Saukrai's ZERO knowledge of dating from Vol 8] is adorkable, but they need more source material 1st...

And speaking of, as a US manga reader, it PAINS me that the US is essentially caught up with the Japanese release, so new volumes will come out here at the same glacial pace they do in Japan, just 9 or so months after the fact... Vol. 8 JUST came out in the US December 13, 2022 after being out in Japan since March 9, 2022... Now (since I do not read scanalations) I have to wait for Volume 9, which came out in Japan September 9th, but isn't due here until JUNE 20 2023 (!!!) per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzaki-chan_Wants_to_Hang_Out!#Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:00 am Reply with quote
Worst parents by a long shot. Mom has no excuses either. Two years.......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2