• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:48 pm Reply with quote
The Unohana reveal is legit one of the most memorable parts of the arc, IMO. The way it was handled, especially how sudden it was, is just sublime.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
MVP of the episode: Isane's tears. The whiplash of unbridled hype for battle to the understanding that this fight will destroy the people they love cracked like thunder. Hisakawa and Tachiki are in peak condition. I wish the first half was a little smoother; I was almost expecting a reveal that Kirinji's cracked fist via Ichigo's quick-time reaction was gonna be the reason Renji didn't die, but I guess that would've undercut his growth.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and I could go my entire life without seeing another overweight character with a sudden weight-loss shtick

Let's see, we've got Choji, Alvida, Fatgum, spoiler[that one girl with a crush on Yuji in JJK], Luffy and Usopp(it's a stretch). It's such a dumb trope that needs to go away but probably won't.

Overall this section of the arc is a drag, with the Zero Squad being the weakest draw. I thought the Unohana reveal was silly and felt shoved in, but there's a bit of that in this arc. Soon we'll get a spoiler[pretty good flashback, and then if I recall, it's mostly fights for the rest of the series]. Which should hopefully flow nicely if they stick to this pacing.
freebird1994

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:44 am Reply with quote
Ok that finally puts a nail in the discussion I think. It was hard to tell in the Manga for this scene and was left vague in the later fight but I think its pretty definitive now spoiler[Yachiru was Kennys Zanpakto manifested. The female voice coming from his sword kinda seals it for me ]. Sure maybe its just me but from what I've seen elsewhere it was still kind of up in the air if this was the case or not.

Not to mention this episode also cleared up what Unohanas bankai did, since in manga it was kind of vague and even the bleach brave souls mobile game didn't make it clear(and TYBW unohana was released like 3 years ago or something). Damn this was a good episode, and its just what I want from anime adaption of a series, using the visual medium to go into more detail of what can't be easily got across on the page.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Quote:
and I could go my entire life without seeing another overweight character with a sudden weight-loss shtick

Let's see, we've got Choji, Alvida, Fatgum, spoiler[that one girl with a crush on Yuji in JJK], Luffy and Usopp(it's a stretch). It's such a dumb trope that needs to go away but probably won't.

I'll add Isami Aldini from Food Wars and Tamako Inada from Silver Spoon,
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
freebird1994 wrote:
Ok that finally puts a nail in the discussion I think. It was hard to tell in the Manga for this scene and was left vague in the later fight but I think its pretty definitive now spoiler[Yachiru was Kennys Zanpakto manifested. The female voice coming from his sword kinda seals it for me ]. Sure maybe its just me but from what I've seen elsewhere it was still kind of up in the air if this was the case or not.

That was already confirmed in a Klub Outside Q&A. And this episode didn't do anything to solidify that confirmation, since the Zanpakuto's voice sounds nothing like her.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Fumihiko Tachiki and Aya Hisakawa killed this episode as hard as Kenpachi and Unohana were trying to kill each other. I'm going to miss hearing Hisakawa moving forward, but it was nice to see them expand on her character, her true purpose, and her relationship with Kenpachi, and what that unlocks in Kenpachi and what we might see moving forward.

I love how they depicted Unohana's Bankai.

Oh-Etsu is quite the character.

Jeez, what a savage post-credit scene. Poor Ichigo. But it's leading to one of the most pivotal stories of the entire series, complete with Sayaka Ohara return as Masaki for the first time in years and after the 4-6 lines she had in the original series.
JoelBurger wrote:
freebird1994 wrote:

That was already confirmed in a Klub Outside Q&A. And this episode didn't do anything to solidify that confirmation, since the Zanpakuto's voice sounds nothing like her.

Do we have confirmation for who provided the voice?
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:50 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Do we have confirmation for who provided the voice?

For the zanpakutou? Kuwatani Natsuko.

Anyway, everyone's enthusing about the Unohana/Kenpachi thing, meanwhile I'm all "FINALLY Ichigo is back home"... Anime smile + sweatdrop I know I'm doing Bleach wrong, but I just can't, for my life, be interested in the shinigami and Soul Society shenanigans, have never been able to bring myself to care. I like Rukia, I like Renji, and that's about it. I'd much rather watch a story about the original gang, alas...
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
The Kenpachi fight was really well done, but man, having it sandwiched between Ichigo and Renji's Bizarre Zero Adventure is really jarring. It's like I'm watching scenes from a past filler season or something. No one really knows what was going on behind the scenes during this arc, and I've never really ascribed to the "editorial meddling" theory, but thematically it really does feel like WSJ was over Kubo's shoulder at times: "We're up in reader polls, but the Yama fight was a little too dark; add some gags & boobs?"
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:11 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
The Kenpachi fight was really well done, but man, having it sandwiched between Ichigo and Renji's Bizarre Zero Adventure is really jarring. It's like I'm watching scenes from a past filler season or something.

Yeah, this was my reaction as well. As the Kenpachi fight finished, I thought "Wow -- easily best episode of this season so far." Then I realized there were 10 more minutes of weird 90s comedy trundling my way..
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:09 am Reply with quote
To give people an idea, the whole Kenpachi fight started AFTER Ichigo was sent back in the manga. They probably mixed both to start spoiler[the next mini arc (Everything but the Rain) in time for the season finale. We're prolly getting the intro to it next week and then on the 26th, with the double feature we get the rest of the whole thing.]
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:55 am Reply with quote
This is a good example of how this final arc achieves the really hard goal of both feeling dragged and rushed at the same time.

So, we waste a whole lot of time with a loud character being loud because "lol so funny", explaining stuff that should have been explained years ago yet the training and failure are flash-forwarded.

It feels like we are going thru checkmarks with crappy filler in between.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
explaining stuff that should have been explained years ago.

The Zanpakuto thing wasn't explained because most likely people didn't know it, aside from the guy that makes every sword and likely hasn't come down to the SS in millennia. Probably chalked it up to "Substitute Shinigami" shenanigans. They only have 1 other to go by and that one went rogue. lol
Arpee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:42 pm Reply with quote
The fact that you haven't been giving 5 stars to every episode has really pissed off r/Bleach. They're crying about it and it's pretty funny.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Arpee wrote:
The fact that you haven't been giving 5 stars to every episode has really pissed off r/Bleach. They're crying about it and it's pretty funny.

Did you come all the way from r/bleach and create an account just to share that with us? Do people still actually do that inter-website-feud BS? If an episode has turd-qualities it gets rated as such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12