• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The skeletons looked great to me.

THE FIRE LOOKED AMAZING THOUGH, WHAT A FLEX FROM THE ANIMATORS
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:48 pm Reply with quote
It was a small moment in an episode of huge moments, but Royd's joy as he got to be of use to his master, to immediately then being eradicated by that master, when he was about to die anyway... It drives home what was already stated and we already know, that these guys are all Yhwach's foundation stones. It's the inverse of what happened to Luuders and Ebern, but gets that same point across in an affecting manner. Royd's barely a character and you can still feel for him just by how grossly unnecessary the killshot is. Good, good stuff.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:27 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
When it comes to the "Soul Society keeps taking L's"... while I agree, do remember we're on episode 6 of 54, all comprising a single arc. You're not getting any W's anytime soon.

I feel like the Soul Society getting wrecked here is also the point. They had no idea this was going to happen, and they were completely unprepared. Not to mention the existence of the Bankai stealing medallions are a totally new concept for them as they didn't exist back when they clashed with the Quincy all those years ago.

That said, we had 5 Sternritter die last episode and 1 more in this episode, so that's 6 total thus far. There's also the 3 that Yamamoto burned at the start of this fight, so while they probably aren't dead, they're at least injured. The Sternritter still have the clear upper hand of course, which they should, but the first invasion hasn't been completely devoid of Shinigami wins.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:37 pm Reply with quote
This episode was on as much fire as Yamamoto's Bankai.

Just the direction, the atmosphere, the actual animation, and the pure hype...it was just simply amazing.

And they even threw in Aizen! AIZEN!!! And Show Hayami hasn't missed a beat.

Poor Old Man Yama though...at least he got to show off as much as was humanly possible.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:34 am Reply with quote
I thought the CG was adequate(I'm not part of the anti-CG crowd, but it definitely was a dip in an otherwise 11/10 episode), but did they have to use the exact same model for every skeleton, same stringy hair and all? I kind of imagined that they'd have animated ink-like black flames for that move and kept it messy, rather than use all the magenta tones.

If Yama fully understood that a Bankai needed to be fully seen/understood in order to be stolen, wtf did he take the time showing off every single form rather than just killing Yhwch? I guess this thought never crossed my mind back when reading the original chapters, but damn that's dumb. Felt more like Kubo wanting to show off the Bankai before moving on.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:55 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
If Yama fully understood that a Bankai needed to be fully seen/understood in order to be stolen, wtf did he take the time showing off every single form rather than just killing Yhwch? I guess this thought never crossed my mind back when reading the original chapters, but damn that's dumb. Felt more like Kubo wanting to show off the Bankai before moving on.

Yama could also have, uh, mentioned that to his subordinates? Maybe he secretly doesn't like most of them. Laughing (or, more charitably: very few, if any, of them have multiple bankai forms, so they only have the binary choice between use of it and no use of it, not partial-but-not-fully-understood use?)

Nitpicking aside, enjoyed the spectacle. Bummer to see Yama taken down, but was narratively obvious Yhwach would take this fight, of course.

Does kinda suck that the mimic reveal means Kenpachi got utterly rocked by a fake. Why oh Y. Sad
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, insane visuals but it was Yamamoto vs Aizen all over again. The villain allows to Yamamoto to destroy the entire area again after all his subordinates have been taken down but makes a trap (call it trap card) to counterattack. Honestly, Aizen could have killed back in the Arrancar arc alongside Hitsugaya, Kyoraku and others (how did Hinamori survive to being impaled twice in the same area?) but this time Kubo wants to his characters since it's the final arc apparently.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Yeah, insane visuals but it was Yamamoto vs Aizen all over again. The villain allows to Yamamoto to destroy the entire area again after all his subordinates have been taken down but makes a trap (call it trap card) to counterattack. Honestly, Aizen could have killed back in the Arrancar arc alongside Hitsugaya, Kyoraku and others (how did Hinamori survive to being impaled twice in the same area?) but this time Kubo wants to his characters since it's the final arc apparently.

Did people not see the damage Yama's Bankai does just by being active?

When fighting Aizen, while in a Fake Karakura, they were still in the real world... :/
Nodz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the community score for this episode is 4.8, while the reviewer scored it 3.9...
more than episode 6 of Reincarnated as a Sword (which was meh), and a little more than episode 1040 (3.5) that was described as average (lots of running and flashbacks).
I really don't get the reviewer's score, as he described as a great episode except for the CGI skeletons...
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
I'm glad the community score for this episode is 4.8, while the reviewer scored it 3.9...
more than episode 6 of Reincarnated as a Sword (which was meh), and a little more than episode 1040 (3.5) that was described as average (lots of running and flashbacks).
I really don't get the reviewer's score, as he described as a great episode except for the CGI skeletons...

While I personally think it should be higher, it's the usual case of Different Reviewers, Different Standards. Each person has their own metrics and opinions, hence the difference.

Unless its the same person. In which case, no idea what to tell you.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:40 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Nodz wrote:

While I personally think it should be higher, it's the usual case of Different Reviewers, Different Standards. Each person has their own metrics and opinions, hence the difference.

Unless its the same person. In which case, no idea what to tell you.

Nope, they managed to pick scores from 3 different writers.

For future reference, I do not give a single solitary shite about the review scores, and my philosophy is to spend as little time thinking about an arbitrary star rating as possible. I spitball it at the very end of writing a review, based on gut feeling alone and don't spare a second thought on it. If readers think the episode deserves a better score, that's what the community score bug is for and they are free to put their vote in.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:24 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

Yama could also have, uh, mentioned that to his subordinates? Maybe he secretly doesn't like most of them. Laughing (or, more charitably: very few, if any, of them have multiple bankai forms, so they only have the binary choice between use of it and no use of it, not partial-but-not-fully-understood use?)

Wasn't this explained in the episode? Yamamoto was simply (arrogantly) wrong. He ASSUMED that the reason Yhwch wasn't stealing his bankai was because he did not understand it. He had no problem explaining his bankai because he was so confident that he was going to kill (murder) Ywach that it wouldn't matter. Furthermore, Yamamoto never finished. He did not get around to explaining his North Configuration.

But again, Yamamoto was wrong. Yhwch explains that only he was able to steal Yamamoto's bankai. Therefore, that means that it likely has less to do with understanding and more to do with strength/spiritual pressure.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I think it was explained (or at least strongly implied) in the episode that Yama was wrong, but what I was thinking was odd is that we never see Yama caution the rest of the Seireitei folk against 'explaining' their bankai, and we don't see them attempt to deploy their bankai without 'explaining' them. It seems to follow that Yama kept that thought to himself.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
This is a situation of the writer wanting something to happen, so, the characters accommodate to the end result instead of the other way around.

"Why -insert character name here- didn't -insert action here-?"

Because Kubo wanted their Ban Kai stolen and for them to lose the battle in order to set the Quincy as a threat.

So, Yamamoto becomes arrogant to the point of being almost racist and everybody else forgot the high level kido attacks or team work.

Prof of this is that spoiler[the stolen Ban Kai later become irrelevant, he just wanted to send everybody into training arcs]
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I thought it was stupid the Captain was doing the typical explain your Bankai power to the enemy your fighting schtick while believing it was understanding that led to the powers being sealable.
On the plus side the Captain did kill another four of the letters
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12