×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai Anime's English Dub Streams on Hoopla




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 5423
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:19 am Reply with quote
I just gotta love who they are putting the dub for this show on everything but CR, or even one of the usual streaming sites for Anime. Any guess for where it is going next?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 2780
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:53 am Reply with quote
Weirdly not available in Canada right now. Given they don't have all the episodes Toei's put on DTO stores, that might just be an oversight.

If you're unfamiliar, Hoopla is free to use with your local library card. Unfortunately, not all libraries are involved, and even if yours is, there's usually a very hard limit on how much you can check out. It differs per library, but my local one restricts you to eight "borrows" per month. While you can sometimes check out an entire series at once, most count each individual episode as a single "borrow."

I'm kind of amused by the implication that the service funded by libraries is paying Toei more than commercial services would. Even if they didn't want to work with Sony, they had plenty of other options, like Amazon Prime Direct/Freevee, Pluto, Roku, Tubi, etc. Though, maybe I shouldn't assume that's the case. Toei did a DTO launch and missed both Amazon and iTunes, which seem like two of the biggest players in that space.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LegitPancake



Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 1302
Location: Texas, USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:07 am Reply with quote
On Vudu it would cost me $108 to buy all 50 episodes released so far (in 4 different seasons at $27 each) in HD, digitally, with only the dub included. Maybe if it were a bilingual bluray I’d consider that price, but a DRM’d platform where your purchases are limited to that platform? No thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AceLuffy4Ever



Joined: 30 Aug 2015
Posts: 323
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:40 am Reply with quote
I thought this was the announcement for the remaining episodes to be released
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 12156
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Not where I expected to see Hoopla referenced.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PipimiOden



Joined: 26 Mar 2022
Posts: 188
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:01 pm Reply with quote
some of Viz's stuff is already on hoopla along with some the stuff from Gkids, eleven arts, shout factory, and apparently also media blasters, so it's nice to see more stuff on hoopla!

i think the creator of Mao Mao Heroes of Pure Heart voiced a character on here, but maybe I'm mistaking this dragon quest anime with another recent one...[/list]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 4973
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:


I'm kind of amused by the implication that the service funded by libraries is paying Toei more than commercial services would. Even if they didn't want to work with Sony, they had plenty of other options, like Amazon Prime Direct/Freevee, Pluto, Roku, Tubi, etc. Though, maybe I shouldn't assume that's the case. Toei did a DTO launch and missed both Amazon and iTunes, which seem like two of the biggest players in that space.
I think this is less on the streaming apps and more on Toei who also keeps putting the One Piece English dub only on weird locations like the Microsoft store and the dying Funimation app but Toei just won't put the One Piece dub on Crunchyroll for some reason. I'm just going to assume the upcoming Digimon Adventure 2020 dub is not going to be on Crunchyroll and will be on some random obscure site most anime fans haven't heard of. I guess I'm glad they're supporting libraries who can always use the support and that it is a free option if your library supports it. But I've just encountered so many anime fans who are big fans of the Dragon Quest games but still don't know there's anime for it let alone an English dub because Toei is being weird about marketing it in the US. Why not air this on Toonami or something where lots of casual anime fans would enjoy it and Toonami would probably appreciate having more shows on their block?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cain Highwind



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 314
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Weirdly not available in Canada right now. Given they don't have all the episodes Toei's put on DTO stores, that might just be an oversight.

If you're unfamiliar, Hoopla is free to use with your local library card. Unfortunately, not all libraries are involved, and even if yours is, there's usually a very hard limit on how much you can check out. It differs per library, but my local one restricts you to eight "borrows" per month. While you can sometimes check out an entire series at once, most count each individual episode as a single "borrow."

I'm kind of amused by the implication that the service funded by libraries is paying Toei more than commercial services would. Even if they didn't want to work with Sony, they had plenty of other options, like Amazon Prime Direct/Freevee, Pluto, Roku, Tubi, etc. Though, maybe I shouldn't assume that's the case. Toei did a DTO launch and missed both Amazon and iTunes, which seem like two of the biggest players in that space.


Kinda funny to me that it premiered on BBC first as DQ games have become quite known for their British dubs.Laughing I still wonder if the upcoming Dai game will just ignore the Ocean dub and get a British dub from SIDE.

But yeah, I checked it out, I have 6/month and I have to borrow individual episodes. :/

PipimiOden wrote:


i think the creator of Mao Mao Heroes of Pure Heart voiced a character on here, but maybe I'm mistaking this dragon quest anime with another recent one...[/list]


That’s Dragon Quest Your Story on Netflix. I think he joked about wanting to be a voice on Dai but it didn’t happen.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

But I've just encountered so many anime fans who are big fans of the Dragon Quest games but still don't know there's anime for it let alone an English dub because Toei is being weird about marketing it in the US. Why not air this on Toonami or something where lots of casual anime fans would enjoy it and Toonami would probably appreciate having more shows on their block?


What sucks is the Anime first started airing just after Hero came out for Smash. They could’ve really rode the momentum and made the series big. As I’ve said before I think there was a lot of people who just shrugged it off as “just some game tie-in” that you NEED to play the games to understand rather than a legendary Shonen Jump series on par with Naruto, JoJo, HxH, etc. I just hope now that the dub is out, like you said, it can get on TV like Toonami. The dubbed OP and ED kinda seems like that’s what they’re aiming for?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group