• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Revenger

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Probablytomorrow wrote:

I don’t know if the question of whether the children were better off imprisoned or free was really the main point of the episode, since Nio admitted it was all just an excuse to kill Doan. I think the episode's focus was on showing how calculating Nio is and how exploitable their revenge system is in general.

Oh sure, I agree completely - I was reflecting on the review bringing up this point, as well as the episode itself touching on it
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I doubt the Revenger since is meant to make justice simply like that. Already in episode 2 the doctor's patient who they had to avenge (sounds ridiculous) died in the end. I think no episode ended with a happy ending with the exception of back when Kurima enjoyed drawing.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:26 am Reply with quote
Wow. This week's episode was awkward. Still, I'm kinda sad this Revenger are winning their fights so quickly. Just as Raizo finally had a rival, the fight ended due to Soji killing the woman with the hanafuda
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:19 pm Reply with quote
It's a pity that this show has only one cour. It has many good ideas and potentially interesting characters, but barely any time to do anything with them. I quite like the world as well, it would have been interesting to delve a bit deeper into it.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, the finale was excellent and really made the show go up in my estimation. If it weren't for Vinland Saga, Revenger would be my favorite show of the season, and Renji Ohki is a writer to watch out for.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Yep, pity about this show. This finale should have been amazing, and yes, I saw flashes of excellence, and yet... in the end it didn't really work because I just had no connection to the characters or the setting, and so while on an intellectual level the message was there, there was no emotional connection. Raizou is the one we came the closest to getting known, but even so there was not enough room for his character to breathe and the ironies and tragedies of his fate to fully play out and sink in. And the rest of them were full of great ideas and concepts, except none of them, not the characters nor the ideas, were given nearly enough time to get fleshed out.

I enjoyed the show for what it was, but it could have been so much more with either more episodes or a smaller cast and tighter focus. In the end it was, at least for me, forgettable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2