• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tomo-chan Is a Girl!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Eh, they skipped the controversy bullet, it was in the back of my mind if they were gonna leave it:

spoiler[Originally, Tomo and Misuzu think Carol's mom is her sister and they follow with the joke for a while, when they reveal the truth Tomo asks her for her age: 28.

Carol is 15, do the math.]

This is kinda a bummer to me, Tomo-chan is a 1 page per chapter serialization, however Omake 3 has a short 8 pages chapter that can't be adapted if they are skipping this information and I consider it the funniest of the whole manga.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Episode 5:

Eh, they skipped the controversy bullet, it was in the back of my mind if they were gonna leave it:

spoiler[Originally, Tomo and Misuzu think Carol's mom is her sister and they follow with the joke for a while, when they reveal the truth Tomo asks her for her age: 28.

This is kinda a bummer to me, Tomo-chan is a 1 page per chapter serialization, however Omake 3 has a short 8 pages chapter that can't be adapted if they are skipping this information and I consider it the funniest of the whole manga.

I'm actually glad they left this out, it's just creepy side story that doesn't even really matter in the main story. Good riddance, it was one of my least favorite part of manga.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Sayaka Ohara as Carol's mom everybody! That whole mansion trip with the gal pals was great.

Also Ayako Kawasumi as Misuzu's mom. Will we get an on-screen Fate/Zero reunion?

Also nice to see things progressing between Jun and Tomo. Obviously still being "bros" who go to each others' house and game, but also clearly the two are growing more conscious of each other and their feelings despite how hard Jun tries to deny his feelings. Even Tomo's mom expects them to get to making grandkids soon.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Hm... gotta say, I was really pleased with the voice casting until Carol started speaking, but after the last few episodes I've really come around on her performance.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Eh, they skipped the controversy bullet....

I do think Tomo-chan is one of the best 4koma series in recent memory, but that was a bad joke -- and I don't miss it.

Anyway, each chapter of the manga is around 15-18 pages long. You, my friend, have been reading scanlations -- j'accuse! Probably from a manga-streaming site that automatically copies the work of independent scanlators, where each page is assigned as a different chapter number because the scanlators are only releasing one page at the time.

If/when you have the money and/or opportunity, there are now official English translations out.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:30 am Reply with quote
I had to laugh at the "gaming overnighter" ending at around 22:00 because they were too sleepy. Especially since I regularly stay up until 29:00 (5:00 next morning) or later. But it seems that they wake up even earlier than normal students because they train in the dojo.

Episode Review wrote:
My theory is that this guy either is terrified of pursuing a romantic relationship with Tomo and therefore is trying to block out any impulses he has, or he's in denial of his feelings for Tomo except during very specific moments where it's hard for him to avoid it.

I think Jun denies his feelings for Tomo because he's afraid of losing what he has in the current friendship if he were to pursue a romantic relationship. He already tried dating Misuzu, which didn't go well, and now they don't get along.
boldulysses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Not knowing what Jun is thinking is a feature, not a bug. It puts us more in Tomo's headspace. I really like that he's not a POV character.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Episode 5:

Ew, I will agree that it sure was something in the manga but that joke only ever felt weird/creepy to me. This is one of those rare cases where I will not complain about cutting content.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:13 pm Reply with quote
boldulysses wrote:
Not knowing what Jun is thinking is a feature, not a bug. It puts us more in Tomo's headspace. I really like that he's not a POV character.

Definitely. And it doesn't exactly take a whole lot to guess what he's thinking, especially once we see how their friendship started and what Jun was like as a child.
GermanSteel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this would fall under spoiler territory because I would be referencing the manga, so I won't take any chances:

spoiler[[With the current 5 episodes, we are already into the 3rd Volume of the Manga. In fact, I would say we are already past the 1/3 mark. That being said, with 8 episodes left to go, do you think it could be possible to wrap up the entire story in one season? Would it seem rushed, and, if not, would there be enough for a second season?]]
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:17 am Reply with quote
GermanSteel wrote:
I'm not sure if this would fall under spoiler territory....

I wouldn't consider that a spoiler as you're not discussing anything specific (or even general) about the plot or characters.

Anyway, I think they could easily adapt the full manga in one season -- it's not exactly a complicated story, nor are there any big characters introduced late in the game to drive interest for an additional season. They'd definitely have to cut some stuff to get it all to fit, but it's a 4koma series -- it's easy to cut some gags out.

Personally I would hope for the plot being resolved by the finale, with a couple OVAs to adapt whatever needed to be cut.

Though speaking ideally, it would be nice to see Tomo-Chan get another season and an adaptation that adds content rather than subtracts it, but the machinery of anime adaptation hasn't worked that way in a long time. Just food for thought: both the grand-pappy of Highschool 4koma, Azumanga Daioh, and K-On managed to be adapted into twice as many episodes (or more, in K-On's case) with only half was many volumes of manga (4 books each to Tomo-chan's 8).
GermanSteel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't actually think about them adding content. Good point. I guess I kind of crossed out that possibility because it happens so rarely.
However, if we do only get one season, I do hope they spend a little more time on the ending.
GermanSteel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:57 pm Reply with quote
If there was a normal person who joined the Aizawa dojo and had the same drive and competitiveness as Tomo and Jun, would they ever be able to catch up to them?
Or are those two more or less out of reach to the average person at this point?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:49 am Reply with quote
Tomo looks good in a dress and long hair. Though Tomo can rock any look! I'm surprised she didn't trip on those heels more than she did. But a nice treat for her to finally get treated like a lady by Jun even if it was because he couldn't reconcile that Tomo would dress like that.

Carol and Misuzu continue to be comedy gold. Also, Misuzu is totally into Tomo...

Ah, random hardcore dodge-ball episode. You gotta love it!

We get more insight into why Jun feels the way he does about Tomo and why he tries to deny his feelings or Tomo's status as a girl...it's not just trying to maintain the status quo but because he puts Tomo on such a pedestal as someone he aspired towards or wanted to surpass that it's hard for him to see past that to accept her as a woman.
Nojay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
We get more insight into why Jun feels the way he does about Tomo and why he tries to deny his feelings or Tomo's status as a girl...

Jun is very VERY aware that Tomo is a girl and he doesn't deny it. What concerns him is that Tomo is his best buddy and has been for the past ten years or so. His family moved in next door to the Aizawa dojo, he didn't have any friends and this red-haired chaos goblin hopped over the fence, starting a relationship with him that was, as far as he could tell, two young boys playing together. Tomo was, of course, aware she was a girl but Jun literally didn't know that. Tomo wants to remake their relationship into something more adult but Jun is still working through his response to that best-buddy relationship changing as he knows it must.
Typical anime enjoyer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:52 pm Reply with quote
...moments in the show that make him seem genuinely ignorant to everything going on...

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6