• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tomo-chan Is a Girl!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I was actually surprised that they included as much of the manga as they did. I expected that they would drop the segment where Tomo, Misuzu, and Carol were working part-time at the ramen shop. I'm glad that they kept it, though, since we get to see more glimpses of Jun starting to see Tomo in a romantic light -- even if he hasn't quite figured out that's what he's doing.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
A shame they cut the subplot of Misuzu taking over the management of the ramen shop and making it run more efficient.

Oh well, at least we are finally here, the legendary power of the tree it's going into scene.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:24 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to see a Cinderella performance that may truly rival Fruits Basket's.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It would be nice if Tatsumi played a role in Misuzu coming to terms with herself because this could potentially be the first time that someone has shown an interest in her in such a way. Besides, the show already established the three couples. It would feel weird if these two got left out in the end

Except the show didn't establish the three couples. It established two couples and a very obviously one-sided crush. If Misuzu ended up with Tatsumi, it would be horribly rushed and forced spoiler[and would deviate from the manga as well].
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Mostly liked episode 12, but, I kinda feel the anime dropped the ball a little.

In the manga its obvious that Jun gets himself so much into his tree acting that he became one with the tree, we can see remands of this in Tomo-dad's comment about how Jun achieved tree-ultrainsctint.

This allows Jun to assent to a higher level of awareness and realices he likes Tomo.

So, Jun's confession kinda comes from nowhere in the anime without this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:07 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Mostly liked episode 12, but, I kinda feel the anime dropped the ball a little.

In the manga its obvious that Jun gets himself so much into his tree acting that he became one with the tree, we can see remands of this in Tomo-dad's comment about how Jun achieved tree-ultrainsctint.

This allows Jun to assent to a higher level of awareness and realices he likes Tomo.

So, Jun's confession kinda comes from nowhere in the anime without this.

Yeah, no. Anybody who thinks Jun's confession "comes out of nowhere" just because becoming one with the tree is not established in the anime clearly hasn't been paying attention. In any case, brilliant episode. I've rarely seen a rom-com resolve things in such a satisfying way and there's still an episode to go!
pip25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:46 pm Reply with quote
So, can someone explain to me why exactly did Jun pretend to have misunderstood Tomo's confession at the very beginning? Because I watched the episode, read the manga beforehand, and still have no clue. A lot of character moments here are genuinely nice and touching in isolation, but the relationship progression between the two leads have become a jumbled, incomprehensible mess to me at this point.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:09 pm Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
So, can someone explain to me why exactly did Jun pretend to have misunderstood Tomo's confession at the very beginning?

Short version: Because he himself didn't really have his own feelings sorted out.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:47 am Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
So, can someone explain to me why exactly did Jun pretend to have misunderstood Tomo's confession at the very beginning? Because I watched the episode, read the manga beforehand, and still have no clue. A lot of character moments here are genuinely nice and touching in isolation, but the relationship progression between the two leads have become a jumbled, incomprehensible mess to me at this point.

Something the Anime has a little problem with its communicating that Tomo is an unreliable narrator (we see the plot from her, biased, point of view) that's why the episodes when we see the flashbacks from Jun's point of view are important, unfortunately we also miss a good number of his internal monologues and facial expressions.

If you want an explanation of their relationship:

- Jun sees Tomo as a rival and trains to the bones to defeat him and get his game back.

- Then, realices he is a she and realices he can't go all out with her which frustrates him, then, realices that people may mistake their relationship for a couple and makes a promise with Tomo to keep being rivals and forget about her being a she.

- This, unfortunately, makes Jun place Tomo in a pedestal, same way how Senpai was doing with Carol, instead of realizing she is "just" a normal girl.

- With all this mental bagaje Jun creates a form of delusion to trick himself that Tomo is not a woman just for the sake of keeping the status quo, fearing losing their current relationship, the delusion its so strong he subconsciously creates mental gymnastics like transforming an "I love you" into "I love you, bro!".

- This mental blockage ends with the beach episode, because boobs are stronger and his excuse of rivalry disappears when he gets the game back, in the manga there is an extra scene of him looking at the game and saying "Now what?".

- Finally, in the manga, Jun becomes one with the Tree and realizes everything I just said, in the Anime he realices it after the dream/flashback, which creates a little problem since we have the whole cultural festival and the days before it with Jun supposedly knowing he likes Tomo but doing nothing.

And here we are.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I admit I'm kind of amazed that Cinderella play played out as straight as it did. I was expecting Fruits Basket 2.0 level of chaos, but props to the class.

But a lot of nice moments here...Jun finally biting the bullet and confessing, Misuzu admitting the truth to Tomo, Carol being there for Misuzu, Tomo and Jun finally getting together. Stuff that was great to read in manga form and is just as great to see animated.

Can't wait for the finale!
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:01 pm Reply with quote
7/10 Adaptation, it would have been better with 3-4 more episodes to add all the skipped content, not that you need to add everything, Kaguya pulled a 10/10 thanks to all the crazy stuff the Anime adds even though anime onlys just watch like 45% of the thing .

Though, I always recommend Kaguya fans to read both the Manga and the spin off or you are missing over 50% of the plot, with Tomo you can perfectly only watch the anime and be happy.

Though, if you wanna watch Misuzu's dad or Akemi in sexy underpayments then, by all means read the manga.

Now, I hope this inspires the autor to get a sequel with Misuzu and Tanabe as the main couple to be.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:16 pm Reply with quote
It's not every day that a manga you read in its entirety and enjoyed to bits finally gets an anime adaption, but it was a just as much fun getting to watch the story play out in animation with some top-tier voicework and everything I fell in love with the manga on display.

It was great to get to enjoy Tomo-chan is a Girl once more!
pip25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:31 pm Reply with quote
This was a great adaptation; it managed to be the best it can be given the uneven source material.
The reviewer feels like something is missing - well, the twist with Tomo's dad was just as out-of-left field in the manga. I suspect the author wanted to end the story with some kind of conflict, because the way Tomo and Jun got together in the end felt lacking in that aspect, and came up with this... mess.
Still, even this weird final arc was way better here than it was in the original. I was skeptical about this anime when it was announced and when the first trailer came out, but I'm rather impressed with the way they've managed to adapt everything into a single-cour series, without it feeling rushed. I wonder if Mousou Telepathy (another series that starts out awesome but sadly fizzles out by the end) could get a similar adaptation as well.
tsenglol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Anyway, each chapter of the manga is around 15-18 pages long. You, my friend, have been reading scanlations -- j'accuse! Probably from a manga-streaming site that automatically copies the work of independent scanlators, where each page is assigned as a different chapter number because the scanlators are only releasing one page at the time.

If/when you have the money and/or opportunity, there are now official English translations out.

Originally it was published as a 1-Page Daily 4koma in Sai-Zen-Sen Twi4, that the Volume releases changed it to 1 chapter being multiple of those 4koma pages is another thing, since Sai-Zen-Sen publish twitter manga, thats what Twi4 mean, Twitter 4-koma, scanlators got nothing to do with the way it released

Obviously yeah, support the Official English release if you can
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this adaptation. It probably could have used a few more episodes so less had to have been cut, but I'd rather have the complete story, so I think it was a fair trade. Hopefully they can animate the extra chapter bonus chapter at the end of the series as a bonus OVA as it was quite funny Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6