• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tomo-chan Is a Girl!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:47 pm Reply with quote
My impression is that her father wasn't actually opposed to them getting together, so much as he panicked, said something he regrets, and now is too proud to do anything but stand by his word, so I didn't really find it sudden or left-field.
Nagatoka_Morito

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I feel like I'm missing something and maybe something was cut out of the original manga.

Not as such. The scenario more or less plays out the same in the original strips. I remember that at the time there were a lot of people dissatisfied with the final stretch.

Quote:
If you are going to introduce one more obstacle for these two it would be nice if it was an obstacle that Jun and Tomo tackled together. For a show that seems to play jump rope with the idea of femininity and gender roles, I thought a team-up was what we were heading for in the end, especially after Misuzu makes that line about whether or not Tomo will really just sit back and let two men decide the course of her life.

And this right here sums up the complaints I remember from the abovementioned people. My own personal thoughts are... less critical, though I don't deny that part of me would want to see Tomo and Jun re-enact the doujou breaker episode of Ranma 1/2.

Most of the stuff that was cut from the series was largely superfluous things that fleshed out the immediate arcs, but didn't necessarily need to be there for the thrust of the central plot. Probably the biggest victim of this was Misuzu: The manga gives us a bit more insight into her home life and what makes her tick, and her mother is a recurring character along with Tomo's, while her father is also present and recontextualizes Misuzu's relationships with Carol and Tanabe.

One nice thing that the anime added was the short scene of everybody (minus Tanabe, poor guy) getting together for a photo. This actually dulls one of my personal sore spots about the manga -- that Carol and Kousuke never get to interact with each other onscreen after their subplot wraps. They don't get much here either, but at least it's something.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For a show that seems to play jump rope with the idea of femininity and gender roles, I thought a team-up was what we were heading for in the end,

That did happen ... sort of, though instead of a 2-on-1 team-up, it would have been a tag team. It's just that Jun managed to defeat Tomo's dad before she got a chance to tag in.

Tomo's dad did throw the fight, though, and I do wonder if he did that in part because he didn't want to be in the position of fighting his own daughter, but we don't really get to see what's going on in his head here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6