• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy Classroom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:08 pm Reply with quote
All and all this arc that should been adapted much earlier when it happened in the books. Further makes episodes 5-7 really unnecessary for most part because the girls their development though the story's arcs and their losses to Klaus actually have point beyond "hahahas".
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:53 pm Reply with quote
The One Piece reference also got me.
TiagoCosta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode, the way this show manages to gives us fun and more serious moments is great.

Great mix, making it a very interesting series.

Looking forward to the last ep, and then the 2nd cour.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then we get to the scene where Grete relays a supportive message from Klaus to the other girls using the man's voice like she's some kind of Flintsonian living voicemail machine.
She already perfectly copied Klaus's and Lily's voices like three episodes ago when Klaus and Lily went into city to track down that one enemy spy. It looks goofy, but it's the exact same level of ability as before.

Anyways I liked the episode, good stuff.
YoshiChao

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Why’re you even reviewing this show if you don’t like it so much lmao

Hopefully you guys get a different guy for the second batch of episodes, though I doubt that’ll happen.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes after reading an episode review I wonder if the reviewer and I actually watched the same thing, but this time I'm sure we watched the same thing and yet reached opposite conclusions anyway.

Olivia thought she knew what it meant to be loved. To her, it was her sense of adoration and dependence for Roland, and their physical intimacy. And she may even be right, in one way (we never get to see how Roland views their relationship, however). She taunts Grete because she believes that lacking what she has means that Grete must be unloved.

While Grete may not have her romantic love reciprocated, she realizes in the end that she is loved by her new family, Lamplight. She finally found the love she never got from her real family. Her chosen codename of 愛娘 "Daughter Dearest" changes from a cruel mockery of her childhood to a true reflection of her current circumstances.

This episode was the strongest one so far and ended on an uplifting note. Surprised it wasn't the season/cour finale.
Dnautics

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:39 am Reply with quote
Man, this show really gets dogged on in the review but that last episode was one of the best. This is not a bad show at all, very entertaining and often wholesome. I think that's the purpose of the show. It's not supposed to be a realistic spy action show that the reviewer seems to want.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Ok so ep 12 has aired and what a weird way to end..

Pies flashback and intro to book 3 ED stinger

I was like heh? Lame duck filler and a cliffhanger to boot?!?
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 felt like one of those bonus short stories attached to the end of a light novel/manga volume. It serves its purpose fine here, giving us one last look at the characters as we wait for the next part.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Sometimes after reading an episode review I wonder if the reviewer and I actually watched the same thing, but this time I'm sure we watched the same thing and yet reached opposite conclusions anyway.

I've talked about this with ANN's reviews before. All I'll say is that I completely disagree with their editorial philosophy when it comes to handling reviews of series, especially ones like this.

I agree that this show has received less positive attention than I think it is due. I think it plays loose with the story, not trying to be overly melodramatic, and definitely not being overly serious about the stakes. It approaches the tragedies and difficulties in this world with some levity so that it doesn't become an otherwise depressing and horrible story essentially about child soldiers. But it also asks the audience to not turn their brains all the way off - it's not super ultra deep, but stuff's going on here so don't ignore it. It's a tough balance to strike, and I think it has done an admirable job overall.

I think the last episode tied a nice bow on their mission and the first cour (or whatever we're calling this batch of episodes). Shows the conclusion the date the others helped setup, included another flashback to a neat moment of the girls taking on a mission of their own volition and pulling it off, not only without their mentor's help, but his knowledge, offers a succinct and happy ending to that story, and then sets up the first couple challenges of the next arc. I am certainly looking forward to the next installments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3