• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ayakashi Triangle Anime Delays Episodes 5 & Beyond

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:21 am Reply with quote
This is like when Railgun T got delayed, back when Covid hit Japan. What's the point to watching any anime right now when there's gonna be Covid delays? This is Shine Post all over again.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:36 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Although he has good points, considering he's got some works with Aniplex (the most recent being Kaguya-sama), mentioning the company by name is kinda risky of... well, burning bridges.
Considering he wasn't even the first that mentioned what the heck is going on with Aniplex - like there was Tomohiko Ito recent interview that also touched on the current Aniplex kitchen while mentioning the SAO: Progressive and Lycoris Recoil delays (yes, LycoReco was supposed to run in Fall 2021 by initial forecasts, 9 months before it's actually run in Summer 2022 - hence there was a Halloween episode in anime) - they better watch out for more insider stories from the staff themselves than ostracize the talents who try to "ruin" their image despite it's them who need to take the blame first as the head management.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:00 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Well, there also comes the fact that it's not just only COVID when it comes to situation of outsourcing to China, particularly with the Winter season and tight schedules - there is also a second thing, and that's... yep, Chinese/Lunar New Year.

Indeed, although I think the Lunar New Year figures into the current situation only insofar as it makes it impossible to find an alternative when a vendor throws in the towel. When it comes to fixed holidays like this they are always calculated with.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:14 am Reply with quote
Well, that sucks. I was enjoying it so far.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:45 am Reply with quote
JohnRhogan wrote:
This is like when Railgun T got delayed, back when Covid hit Japan. What's the point to watching any anime right now when there's gonna be Covid delays? This is Shine Post all over again.

You are overreacting. In 2020 shows were cancelled left and right because COVID was at its peak. But by 2022 things pretty much returned to normal within the anime industry. Aniplex is screwing around and is using COVID as an excuse.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Up next, the The Misfit of Demon King Academy anime is delayed to... Call me Nostradamus.
The Nier anime turned out much better than expected and is set to clear up so game lore so we´ll meet again, don´t know where, don´t know when.

Show relying on Chinese animators are kinda screwed right now, who knows with Aniplex, and even a few manga are now on break due to Covid. I don´t think that all this is a total lie. Covid: The Return of Covid and the always overworked Alipplex could have led to a double KO. We will see but there is no way that all 3 can return at the same time. Nier can go on the back burner for all I care if that leads to coherent production values later on. It still looked good 3 eps in. Minus some CG issue.

Edit: Buddy Daddies also has Aniplex in the mix. And Tomo-chan Is a Girl! That´s now 3 to look out for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Philmister978

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:29 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
I'm a bit more inclined to think that it's less Covid (though that may be a partial reason) and more mismanagement on the part of Aniplex considering that non-Aniplex shows don't seem to be stalled because of Covid.

Honestly, I'd buy the Covid excuse if a non-Aniplex title like High Card, Spy Classroom or Trigun got delayed. As it stands, it's coming off more and more like Aniplex is overestimating their abilities even with farming their works out to external studios who aren't A-1 or CloverWorks.

It's definitely a problem with the Chinese side of things (be it Covid, the New Year or some other reason), but it's also Aniplex's fault for not having a backup plan for this inevitability like they did in 2020 when DR Movie became a semi-full time contractor for A-1. I don't see Buddy Daddies getting delayed because of DR Movie's involvement on the show.
Kendall TV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:30 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Quote:
Ayakashi Triangle is the third Aniplex television anime this season to suffer from delays, following NieR:Automata Ver 1.1a and UniteUp!.

Three different animation studios, same producer, same trouble.

None of the three anime have any producers in common. See producer listings here taken from the opening credits.

Three different animation studios, different producers, same trouble.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 am Reply with quote
A.N.N. has reported on the difficulties of getting animators in the current environment. (Amount of animation staff). When you loose a bunch to sickness I imagine it being very hard to find new ones at short notice, especially with the money they are offering (not much).

Given the news stories of massive outbreaks in China I am not ready to blame the publishers for mishandling projects, or producers in studio. Sure I can agree that some problems in organising can occur. But no studio wants to bomb their reception with cancelled airing seasons. We have all seen different shows bomb in quality because they cant access enough talent in time.

As an aside I wonder how much time they would save if anime was produced like in the 90's and early 2000's. With barely any real animation outside of special shots they would reuse (think slayers). Like Eva was amazing for having so much animation in it but would have whole halves of episodes with only a few frames per minute afterwards.

Compared to back then the animation of even a middle of the road show today has a lot more animation in it's character movements and framing.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
A.N.N. has reported on the difficulties of getting animators in the current environment. (Amount of animation staff). When you loose a bunch to sickness I imagine it being very hard to find new ones at short notice, especially with the money they are offering (not much).

Given the news stories of massive outbreaks in China I am not ready to blame the publishers for mishandling projects, or producers in studio. Sure I can agree that some problems in organising can occur. But no studio wants to bomb their reception with cancelled airing seasons. We have all seen different shows bomb in quality because they cant access enough talent in time.

All you're really saying is that they're too cheap to budget for a staff that is adequate for the needs of the projects they want to complete. Perfect example of incompetent management.

If management outsources to a shitty company that fails to deliver, they're not exempt from judgment because they outsourced it. They're on the hook for said judgment for who they outsourced it to.

Chinese New Year is a known thing. That covid exists and people likely will at some point miss some days so you need extra hands to give you a bit of room should be a known thing. Failing to account for known potential issues doesn't give you a pass.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:03 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Chinese New Year is a known thing.

Yes, and I guarantee you that production teams have calculated with it. As difficult as it seems to be for of you ~insider~ guys to believe, these teams are not entirely made up of complete idiots. Rolling Eyes

SilverTalon01 wrote:
That covid exists and people likely will at some point miss some days so you need extra hands to give you a bit of room should be a known thing.

This sounds like you haven't been keeping up with what's been going on with covid in China in the past oh, years, and especially in the past months. I'll spare you the research and give you the tl;dr version: UNPREDICTABLE CHAOS.

Expanding on that a little: for a long time they've had brutal and unpredictable lockdowns where people in entire housing blocks were forbidden from leaving their homes(!) if there was like one case of covid in the block(!!), and people diagnosed with covid were unceremoniously carried off into detention centers, their family/pets/work be damned. A few months ago this resulted in widespread protests, after which the party decided to throw in the reins, thanks to which now the virus is spreading unchecked, all the more so because of the Lunar New Year travels. People are getting sick left and right, number of deaths is over the roof, etc. It doesn't help that vaccination rate is still ridiculously low, and since the party will not allow foreign-made vaccines in, they're using home-brewed ones which are nowhere near as effective. (We've had one of those in my country as part of our so-called government's attempts at sucking up to China, and every non-government affiliated virologist agreed that they were only somewhat more effective than praying hard and maybe sacrificing a black rooster.) Meanwhile the government refuses to communicate clearly about the situation, and I guarantee you that this extends to various companies as well, partly because they have to toe the line, but also because they themselves have no idea what to expect the next day, let alone the next week. I work with a bunch of Chinese companies in a different but a bit similar field, and let me tell you, project management right now is not a walk in the park.

Naturally Chinese animation/etc. companies will not tell their clients not to give them any jobs for the foreseeable future, so what happens is that they accept the jobs coming their way, try to finish them by the deadline, and when they can't they throw in the towel. And the covid chaos, along with the usual Lunar New Year chaos, makes it impossible to find replacements to take over the job so it's finished on time.

Obviously there's also problems re: the number of shows being produced, the deadlines and turnaround times, etc. But to look at the current situation and being all "perfect example of incompetent management" just makes it obvious that you have no idea what's actually going on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2