• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigun Stampede Anime Reveals English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably in the minority here, but I would prefer for them to recast everyone including Johnny Yong Bosch, instead of recasting everyone but Johnny Yong Bosch. Because while I do like the old cast, including Johnny, if they can't/won't bring so many people back, it would just be better to wipe the slate clean altogether.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with this list so far, and no one really jumps out to me as an odd choice. I don't think most people thought they'd try to bring back the any of the original actors beyond the main lead for a multitude of reasons. I never watched Badlands Rumble so I can't speak on that cast, but I don't think anyone was clamoring for a full reprisal there either.

Not super familiar with Macy Anne Johnson as a scriptwriter, so very intrigued to hear how she does.

No Wolfwood yet since he probably doesn't show up until later and while my own personal casting choice isn't feasible due to location, honestly just make him sound attractive and it'll probably be enough of a win lol
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:22 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm probably in the minority here, but I would prefer for them to recast everyone including Johnny Yong Bosch, instead of recasting everyone but Johnny Yong Bosch. Because while I do like the old cast, including Johnny, if they can't/won't bring so many people back, it would just be better to wipe the slate clean altogether.

No, you're not. I feel the same way. I love Johnny, and I get it was his breakout role...but it was jarring in the last movie, and it's jarring now. Dorothy Elias-Fahn was so good and she's still active! Sad
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Kusakabe wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

No, you're not. I feel the same way. I love Johnny, and I get it was his breakout role...but it was jarring in the last movie, and it's jarring now. Dorothy Elias-Fahn was so good and she's still active! Sad

I agree with both of you. JYB is GOAT, but his voice range is not the same now.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:42 pm Reply with quote
It's not that I have an issue with Johnny coming back as Vash or the new VA's, they seem well-cast for this interpretation, but it just kind of stands out to only bring Johnny back instead of, well, everybody else.
CodeAlpha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:54 pm Reply with quote
They absolutely had to bring JYB back. Can you imagine the fan outrage they would have gotten if they hadn't?

Personally, I actually think his voice will be fitting with how visually expressive the new animation is.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:39 pm Reply with quote
CodeAlpha wrote:
They absolutely had to bring JYB back. Can you imagine the fan outrage they would have gotten if they hadn't?

Things would have been fine. Old fans are more upset for just bringing JYB back, and new fans have no idea that there is a 90s show. Crunchyroll is being stupid because they are bringing JYB back because he is famous, not because he is needed.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

Things would have been fine. Old fans are more upset for just bringing JYB back, and new fans have no idea that there is a 90s show. Crunchyroll is being stupid because they are bringing JYB back because he is famous, not because he is needed.
There absolutely would have been outrage especially after the (justifiable) backlash they got over the Mob Psycho recasting kerfuffle and I'm old enough to remember all the outrage over the Netflix Evangelion dub. If Vash will end up sounding different no matter if they brought an older JYB back or cast someone new entirely, I would prefer Crunchyroll to bring back JYB which cost them like nothing to do. Recasting JYB would have been like recasting Laura Bailey in Fruits Basket.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, this sucks. Meryl was Dorothy Elias-Fahn's favorite role and everything. Sad
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Sad Dorthy isn't back as Meryl Sad
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:54 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Cardcaptor Takato"]
Angel M Cazares wrote:

Recasting JYB would have been like recasting Laura Bailey in Fruits Basket.

You're completely right on fan pushback, and if anything this would have been worse than with Fruits Basket because I think a lot of longtime fans (myself included) were prepared to see someone like Alexis Tipton on that cast list given how Laura has mostly stepped away from anime.

JYB still works on anime consistently, has come back for pretty much everything and anything the TX studio has asked him to and has worked semi-regularly on TX projects over more recent years... to not ask him back for Trigun of all things would have been bizarre.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:11 am Reply with quote
Sad that Dorothy Fahn wasn’t even contacted about reprising Meryl, but it’s unfortunately not surprising. What is a bit surprising is that Luci Christian isn’t reprising the role from Badlands Rumble, which means they probably wanted to start totally fresh with the cast (since Luci was mostly cast as a voice match for Dorothy)… which makes it a bit odd that they got JYB back as Vash if that was their plan. I get that JYB is popular as Vash, but it’s a bad look when the entire rest of the cast is constantly stiffed. Bryce Papenbrook would’ve been an interesting choice since he voiced the younger Vash in the OG series.

Guess this means Brad Hawkins won’t be returning as Wolfwood from Badlands Rumble either.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:49 am Reply with quote
CodeAlpha wrote:

Personally, I actually think his voice will be fitting with how visually expressive the new animation is.

This.

Wish more of them were brought back, but JYB was a must, just like for the movie.
That said, really wish Dorothy could have also at least been back as Meryl one more time, since she'll presumably be back to more of a full role again here unlike in the movie.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:38 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
JYB still works on anime consistently, has come back for pretty much everything and anything the TX studio has asked him to and has worked semi-regularly on TX projects over more recent years... to not ask him back for Trigun of all things would have been bizarre.

That's probably the biggest thing - JYB has worked with Funimation on the regular for ages now so there was really no reason not to call him back for this one. Whether or not Funi could of or should of gotten back the OG cast, there isn't remotely the same work relationship - if there's any at all.

Besides, Vash was his first (main?) voice role and one still one that seems special to him. Let the guy have it!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:50 am Reply with quote
CodeAlpha wrote:
That's why I said I am probably in the minority, I appreciate that Johnny is by far the biggest name from that cast by miles(he was the dominant main lead of 00s dubs) so his omission would make by far the biggest impact. I just feel it calls too much attention to all the recasts as you have that constant reminder of the old cast, where as a whole new cast helps draw a clear dividing line. But what's done is done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2