• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: NieR:Automata Ver 1.1a

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:27 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:

2B literally says in this episode that she and A2 look alike because they are both No. 2 models.

I would assume that there is normally only one of any model active at any given time and that A2's... special circumstances have caused an exception to that.

You're right, they do say that. Which is weird because a quick search only refers to the letter as the model.

I think there's a nomenclature issue here as people are using model and type interchangeably.
Looking further it seems like both they can both be models number is the spoiler[base personality model ] type and letter it the role model type. Anime dazed
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:05 am Reply with quote
For the first fight between androids based on a really fast action game that was kinda anticlimatic. I wish they put some more money in the next fights. The Tales of the Abyss anime was kinda similar with how disappointing were the fights.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
since the quest to rescue the pink-ribboned robot named “Big Sister” is essentially forced upon our two heroes after a most theatrical display of grief and longing from Pascal and Big Sister's little sibling
Except it's a "Little Sister", the "Big Sister" was actually the one that asked the Pascal to search for her. Yes, that's the whole joke since the game, and probably a mistake of writing during a review - considering the Grimoire of Lore part spelled it correctly.

Quote:
This week's puppet show gives us a cute, puppety A2. 'Nuff said.
Weeeeelll, I kinda doubt that statement - considering this episode puppet show actually gave up through Pascal the description of probably one of the most mysterious and obscure details of the NieR setting that both games touch only barely and even most of the fans don't even know about it - before cute A2 puppet killed poor good robot for spilling too much lore answers that some of fans really want to know. Very Happy

tintor2 wrote:
For the first fight between androids based on a really fast action game that was kinda anticlimatic.
Honestly, I had no real problem with that - because it's actually how fast the encounter with A2 feels (and plays, especially when you're a bit over-leveled from the side-quests that you had during that time) in the game (like two strikes, and she's already giving peace out) - especially with the boss fights before her that have chonky HP bars, multiple phases, or damage immunity for dialogues Very Happy
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't like how the inclusion of the episode 6 flashback ruins the end of episode 7. In the game, the last thing A2 says before leaving has a lot of impact. You don't know who A2 is and have no idea about her background. She's a mystery. Her parting line is cryptic and generates new questions to progress the narrative.

On the other hand, people new to Nier through the anime already know who A2 is, have a good idea why she's the way she is, and know exactly what she means with her last line since it was all spelled out in the previous episode.

This is also the first major plot deviation from the game. There should have been an encounter with Adam and Eve along with a major plot reveal before going to the Forest Kingdom.

Quote:
The one detail I'm pretty darned certain is new to the anime is Little Sister getting engaged to the Forest Bot.

You'd be right. In the game you're going to investigate another group of machines not connected to the network that Pascal told you about; Little Sister has nothing to do with it.

Also, I love the A2 puppet.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:28 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
This is also the first major plot deviation from the game. There should have been an encounter with Adam and Eve along with a major plot reveal before going to the Forest Kingdom.
Actually, it's not even Adam and Eve supposed to be there, but yet another machine invasion that involves multiple Engels first... but considering the involvement of Pascal in the current episode, it can still be the very same hook even with the little shuffling of the story.

But also considering more major deviation with Adam wearing proper clothes now spoiler[(which he not doing before you meet him in Copied City)]... that's an interesting question of what will be picked now by the plot.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the flower side quest getting a mention as well. I wonder if we'll continue to get other side quests getting tossed in here and there even if they aren't finished.

I don't believe Pascal was with you in the Forest Kingdom nor was it that far iirc. Having Pascal was probably a good change though as it was good to have another perspective and voice during the trip

@TJ_Kat Yeah, I wonder if the flashback would have worked better being after this episode rather than before...
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:08 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Actually, it's not even Adam and Eve supposed to be there, but yet another machine invasion that involves multiple Engels first... but considering the involvement of Pascal in the current episode, it can still be the very same hook even with the little shuffling of the story.

In the game, spoiler[you fight the Engels, cause the cave-in in the city, go down and find the alien mothership, and run into Adam and Eve who tell you the aliens are long extinct] before you go to the Forrest Kingdom. I'm hoping a little shuffling is all that's going on, because leaving out that last part would kind of kill one of the major themes of the whole story.

Covnam wrote:
I don't believe Pascal was with you in the Forest Kingdom nor was it that far iirc.

He wasn't. The Forest Kingdom was out the back of the shopping mall (and Pascal's village was on the other side of the ravine from it).
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:37 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
WANNFH wrote:

In the game, spoiler[you fight the Engels, cause the cave-in in the city, go down and find the alien mothership, and run into Adam and Eve who tell you the aliens are long extinct] before you go to the Forrest Kingdom. I'm hoping a little shuffling is all that's going on, because leaving out that last part would kind of kill one of the major themes of the whole story.
Well, that's why I talk about the hook, considering in the game second machine invasion happened right after giving Pascal the resources, spoiler[which make our team thinking that Pascal was engaged in diverting 2B and 9S from the upcoming attack of machines on the Resistance camp by doing this] - and now it can be basically still the same story with a very little writing off.
Surihix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, the story of NieR:Automata is moving along nicely now that we (hopefully) won't have to go nearly a month in between episodes anymore, and I'm eager to see all of the ways that 2B and 9S' perspectives get challenged and twisted in the future.

umm....its getting delayed again. hope it doesn't take a month this time.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I think James (understandably) got Anemone and Lilly’s names mixed up for the review.

Also I just realized it appears that the anime is going to skip spoiler[ the first boss battle with Adam and Eve where they reveal that the Machine Lifeforms already killed their alien masters long ago. It looks like the anime is directly going to the Copied City scenario next. Perhaps during Adam’s torture of 9S, the aforementioned information will be revealed then instead?]
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:20 pm Reply with quote
@Theozilla
Yeah, I've been getting impatient for them to get to that plot point, since it technically should have happened by now and it also ties so well into certain themes already being presented. I have to wonder why the show is remixing the order of things like this, even if I think it's doing it well.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Surihix wrote:
Quote:
Still, the story of NieR:Automata is moving along nicely now that we (hopefully) won't have to go nearly a month in between episodes anymore, and I'm eager to see all of the ways that 2B and 9S' perspectives get challenged and twisted in the future.

umm....its getting delayed again. hope it doesn't take a month this time.

Probably won't be till Summer as the Spring season is starting soon and there are no open slots.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:46 pm Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
Never played the game. Is it true that I can watch this and still find it enjoyable?

They are different experiences. One should not overshadow the other.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:12 am Reply with quote
So ummmmm is this show ever coming back?
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:51 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
Never played the game. Is it true that I can watch this and still find it enjoyable?

They are different experiences. One should not overshadow the other.

Right, but enough details are omitted in the anime that I wonder how much sense it will make to people who didn't play the games, even if details are changed... and not knowing what it was originally make one not realize that things were changed in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5