• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In/Spectre Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
I wonder what they will do for the last episode, maybe anime original content? Also hoping for a season 3 anouncement, but that could take a while.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Gotta be honest was not expecting Kotoko to actually reveal the true murderer, even though I knew the Yoko hadn't done it, but despite the statute of limitations passing the reveal still ended up messing up this family.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Whether the original manga or both anime seasons, In/Spectre has never been a favorite or priority read/view. However, I've never been able to ignore it or step away from it, and episode 23 is a great illustration about why I continue to stick with it. Especially this:

review wrote:
When the situation calls for it (or when it doesn't), her willingness to be a stubborn asshole is one of her strongest personality traits.

Yep, and along with the random, disarming sexual comments she throw out, I wouldn't have her any other way.

This does bring up an interesting question, though: is her ruthless devotion to order a consequence of her becoming the Goddess of Wisdom, or was she chosen to be the Goddess of Wisdom specifically because she was sensed to have the potential for this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thesarum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Nobody ever stood a chance against Kotoko. She's like a cat playing with her prey this episode, fully confident in her overwhelming control of the facts (and fictions) and the situation (also that her immortal bodyguard renders her practically invulnerable). Do not, under any circumstances, piss off the goddess of wisdom.

I think the implied threat in Rikka's machinations here is something like this:
Kuro's existence is an offence against Order. Kotoko does not blame him personally for this, it's not his own sin. But he, like Kotoko herself, is an existence between. Neither human nor Yokai. And while he plays within the boundaries she sets out he's fine. She'll even shower him in genuine affection. Should he rebel however, she'll ruthlessly affect a correction in whatever form she deems necessary. Rikka's question is: Can Kuro accept living caged like that?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 24. It had to come to this. She's outing murderers without lifting a finger or uttering a word. She just needs to be present.

Presence is what she has in spades. Kotoko, and Kotoko alone, is why I watch this show. I gave up on Kuro a long time ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I liked each episode on their own merits, but as a season it felt a bit unfulfilling. Relegated the overarching personal conflict to the background for most of the season probably contributes to that feeling.

And I really wish Kuro displayed a stronger personality. Kotoko's great, no arguing, but its largely a one-woman show, which I think is to the detriment of both Kotoko herself and the narrative as a whole.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I guess this season ended in a fitting way for itself...something mundane turns into a murder revelation that turns out to be false...except it is true! And there's also a supernatural twist, Kotoko standing on top, and as horny for Kuro as ever. This was a very In/Spectre finale.

I quite enjoyed this season. It feels like it went with a complete opposite approach to season 1 where they spent so much time on the Rikka/Steel Lady Nanase plot while this was much more of a case-of-the-week season with no overarching plot. If anything tied the cases together it's how love can warp or twist people, even to the point of outright murder, which contrasts with the relatively normal if snarky romance between Kotoko and Kuro.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:30 am Reply with quote
Episode Review wrote:
And overall, I think the shorter arcs this season let the anime have more fun with its format. I still love the big-picture themes of the Steel Lady Nanase arc, and I still think the first season is a good introduction to these characters and their ethos.

I completely agree with the reviewer. Even though Steel Lady Nanase had me hooked, season two's variety of shorter stories works better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4