• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Trigun Stampede

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:53 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Knives would have eventually taken plant in time, but Vash's presence sped it up.

Sure, but the townspeople didn't know that. As far as they're aware Vash came around a while ago and helped them and was an all-around amazing guy; but now when he came back some villain also came and took their plant, killing many people as well. To put this on Vash and be all "this happened because you're here, right?" is just plain bad writing, trying to hammer home a point that they neglected to set up properly.

Ultimately, the general population's problem with Vash is that "trouble" keeps following him around, "trouble" being Knives, Knives' underlings, bounty hunters, belligerent dicks irritated by his attitude, and just plain bad luck. It would have been much more natural if, in Stampede, the people had reacted along the lines of "we should have known better" "we should have known you'd bring trouble" etc.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:26 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
they explain nothing at all about what the Plants are or why they're important, why it's such a big deal to lose one, why Knives would want one. The only reason anyone new to the story would have any clue at all as to why they're important is entirely based on "this character said it was important, so it must be true".

They totally tell us why the Plants are important, at least enough for us to know why it would be such a big deal to lose them. As for what they ARE, well, only a handful of people know that. And as for why Knives wants them, I'm hoping it's for the same reasons we saw in the manga, because that'll be a visual feast and I'd love to see what Orange can do there.

DRosencraft wrote:
So far it seems that what they chose to replace some elements with has been more blood, gore, and frenetic activity

That is very much in line with the manga. Knives murders people and there's lots of blood and gore and the action scenes are so frenetic many people have trouble following them.

AholePony wrote:
This is way too "standard shounen tropes" only 3 episodes in. Nebraska family become friends! Knives is apparently a sorcerer or something, what's with this super power crap?

I like it that the Nebraskas have been changed from a monster of the week set of villains to show Vash's actual skills into actual characters. I also like it when an enemy becomes a friend. Knives is more in line with his manga version except there his knives look like wings/feathers and can do more impressive things than even episode 3 showed.

AholePony wrote:
One of the great things about the original was that when Vash was finally emotionally ready to face Knives, they were on equal footing "skill-wise". But here I guess Knives has knife powers and Vash I guess will have Stampede powers?

Yes, that was an invention of the original anime, they gave them both guns and Angel Arms to play up the Western trope of the one-on-one duel(with the added assistance of a g-g-ghost, boooooooooo). Which is fine, in fact, I don't think the manga had even shown Knives' superpower by the time the anime had ended so I can't hold that against them.

I'm loving this adaptation, though things ARE moving a little fast, even faster than the manga, which was quite a bit faster than the original anime. So far it seems they have decided on an interesting mix of the original anime and manga. Episode 1 has similar events to episode 1 of the original anime and episode 2 is much like chapter 1 of the manga(episode 5 of the previous anime). Episode 3 leaps ahead to the end of volume two of the Trigun manga(just before it became Trigun Maximum) with Jeneora Rock. I do wish the sandsteamer events with BDN had come before seeing Knives but I'm okay with them showing how terrifying Knives could be this early. Honestly the manga moved fast enough that it could seem a bit rushed there, too.
MGRYuYu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:52 am Reply with quote
I am not against 3D animation, there are good titles out which are 3D Animation. However, when I am watching the new Trigun, I feel like it is a Pixar or Disney creation. I am not a huge fan of that. Also, the story feels like it is going everywhere and nowhere. Also, his gun is now a .22? That is like 2 steps up from a BB. I am saying this without putting it through the "Trigun Original" lens. Overall, we all can pick it apart to support our own opinions but what I know is this: when I watch it, I am not really enjoying it that much. I say this just in general, not because it should be this way or it should look that way.
xonathan22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Old Trigun:

Cons:
Crappy animation
Slow pacing
Inconclusive ending

Pros:
Superb soundtrack
Lots of heart and characterization

New Trigun:

Cons:
Plot development over characterization
Fast pacing

Pros:
Superb animation
Will adapt entire story
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:46 pm Reply with quote
MGRYuYu wrote:
... Also, his gun is now a .22? That is like 2 steps up from a BB. ...

I do agree with a lot of what you said in your post, myself.

But about the weapon, often, that is all he needs, for "reasons."

Maybe I'm nit-picking a little here, anyway, spoiler about Vash's shooting spoiler[ I think that is not his only firearm, but I am very sure that is not his only 'weapon'. Its just his weapon of choice, most of the time. Regardless of what he uses, his control is, umm, abnormal. ]
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:28 pm Reply with quote
^xonathan22

I like what you did there, I would just like to add my two bits.

1st season: goofy fun, a little drama.

2nd season: lots of drama, very little goofy fun.

Trigun Stampede: almost no goofy fun, lots of drama.

I always preferred season 1's fun to to 2's drama, to the point where I would re-watch 1 and then just skip 2. So if Stampede keeps going in the same vein, I may wait for the end of this season and see what its rep is then.

BTW, I think the movie is the best balanced of all of the Trigun anime so far, and if people who haven't seen original Trigun want to see what people liked so much, I recommend watching that.
chex mix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:39 am Reply with quote
^^ Agreed, it feels like Trigun on fast forward with all the fun bits taken out. There's no joy in this story. If they intend to continue this way it's fine, but it's not a story I'm incredibly interested in watching. And yes, obviously I'm making comparisons. That's only natural.
zab_san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I know this series is divisive and many deride its art style and being CGI and all that, but episode 3 was an almost PERFECT episode of an anime.

3 weeks/episodes in and Trigun Stampede is my fav. anime to watch week-to-week. This week was especially emotionally draining and full of heartbreak and hero x villain showcase. Our villain showcased themselves as the ultimate evil and powerful, and our hero was left in shambles too, unsure of his direction and abilities.

I don’t think it needs to maintain this downbeat and emotionally-driven mood throughout the entire run, but this was an exceptional episode of showing and setting up our big bad's abilities. And fudge YES to this OST! It’s giving me Hans Zimmer/Interstellar vibes and I am HERE. FOR. IT!!

Fans of the original might miss the lightheartedness it had, but I personally enjoy this storytelling and production so far.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Nightow also pretty heavily involved with Stampede's production? If so, it almost seems like Nightow is using Stampede as like an opportunity for a second go-around for what he was initially trying to do with the manga.

Also has it been confirmed that Stampede is only one cour for now? I haven't seen anything stated from official sources yet.

Also I don't understand the criticism that Stampede hasn't explained what a Plant is, or their significance much, when that criticism just as much (if not more) applies to the first anime too (if anything I would say Stampede has explained more in three episodes than the first Trigun anime had done by the end of its first half).

As for the townspeople blaming Vash for the destruction, I am pretty sure the implication is (if not outright stated, I would have to watch again) that while Knives would have eventually gone after Jeneora Rock's plant, Knives also specifically targets spots where Vash currently is in order to fudge with him. Also in this case wasn't the main townswoman aware of Vash's connection to Knives, so her knowing that also understandably influenced her reaction I think.

I definitely miss Milly, and am holding out on the faint hope she may appear in the series later. And I still do prefer the art style/character designs of the first anime/manga than Stampede's (though to be clear, I wouldn't dream of trying to deny the quality of ORANGE's animation and general production, it's fantastic) and would have preferred a contemporary anime that stuck closer to Nightow's style (like Blood Blockade Battlfefront did).

And while I agree Meryl is more of a newbie/inexperienced in Stampede (and that can understandably rub people the wrong way) I definitely wouldn't describe her characterization in Stampede so far as "ditzy".
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:50 pm Reply with quote
My non-original-watcher perspective so far: mainly, it feels like this show wants every moment to be as cool and dramatic as possible, and pulls it off, but often at the expense of other things. Every reveal must come out as soon as it's relevant, no waiting until a later episode. Every battle must be at least as epic as the one before it, with minimal downtime. This makes it constantly engaging, in one sense, but also lacking in suspense or mystery, and a little exhausting with so few breaks in the action. Probably why people compare it to Brotherhood, though I have no idea whether this version is closer to the source material.

Like, their little let's-all-be-friends-now party with mad scientist guy and his cyborg son lasts what feels like 30 seconds before Virus-Bomberman crashes it with a third attempted snatching of their magic plant. And immediately after they defeat him, Knives shows up and destroys the whole damn town. How did Vash even have time to make friends with those people when he's got Batman's entire rogues gallery following him around?

Ultimately, it's a fun show to watch--especially with its animation, which could only be disliked by the most devoted anti-CG crusaders--but not a fun show to think about, because it leaves so little room for pondering anything except how hilariously anime it all is. Episode 4 does it again with spoiler[some cooler-than-thou fake priest carrying a BFG shaped like a cross, which he uses to cleave a giant sandworm in two, but for some reason waits to do this until the second time it swallows him. And then, as usual, we immediately learn that he's in cahoots with the psychic worm-controlling child, and his real goal was to team up with Vash for some nefarious purpose probably related to his brother.] I don't know how it ended up with such a good opening theme, and such a weirdly annoying ending theme... but it's sort of poetic, in a way.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 left me baffled.
The title is Hunger, right? It starts showing Wolf wandering the desert, thirst and hungry. Then after the opening it's back to the main trio on the car and the Roberto shows a left over sandwich.

What should I expect from this setup?
That the sandwich would be the intermediary for the main trio to meet and make acquaintance with Wolf, right? But how the main trio actually ends bumping into Wolf? They LITERALLY bump on him with the car.

The script on this series is a bit subpar. Confused

I know when it started that it was doomed having to tell this story with half the episodes but wasn't expecting to be tis doomed. The characters are not charismatic at all, all the do is bickering in unfunny and banal ways, where is the humor? And gone is all the mystery, the story is told completely by exposition.
Very disappointed with this new adaptation (not having read the manga).
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Has it been confirmed that we are getting 1 cour? Or more? It’s going so quick….
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
The title is Hunger, right? It starts showing Wolf wandering the desert, thirst and hungry. Then after the opening it's back to the main trio on the car and the Roberto shows a left over sandwich.

That the sandwich would be the intermediary for the main trio to meet and make acquaintance with Wolf, right?

No? Only if you're taking things way too literally... it's not the show's fault if you just kind of assume things from out of the blue and then don't re-evaluate your assumptions after watching the entire episode... The title is "Hungry" because eating and food and hunger are the thematic line on which the story elements are tied on. It starts with people eating worm; then we learn that Vash hasn't been eating, also Roberto teases Meryl about eating worm meat; then Wolfwood gives Zazie a lollipop to eat and says one of his defining character lines ("even if you carry a heavy cross it's still okay to eat; it's still okay to smile"); then they're all eaten by Zazie's worm and Wolfwood breaks himself and Vash out, saying his other defining character line (it's been translated as "I'm a tough nut to crack", the Japanese idiom he uses translates literally as "I'm not a guy who can be eaten"); then the episode ends with Wolfwood teasing(????) Meryl about eating worm meat, and Vash finally eating, while repeating Wolfwood's line about it being OK to eat and smile despite the heavy cross he's carrying, which we're meant to take as him finding solace and encouragement in this advice, strength to get over his feelings of guilt and self-blame, as well as noting the symbolism re: Vash starving for acceptance and companionship and perhaps absolution from what he believes are his sins and whatnot (Japanese uses the same "to starve for" idiom for this as English so it's not something falsely extrapolated from the English title).

It's not like, Tolstoy, it's not as smart as it probably sounded at draft phase, but it's not "subpar" either.

Anyway, I continue not hating the show, I have my issues with it, but apart from one (see below) they're not enough to ruin the show just yet. Again if I hadn't known Trigun before I'd probably enjoy it more.

The one issue I continue to really hate is how they're treating Meryl. It's like she exists for two reasons, one: to be the one to know literally nothing about the world she's supposedly also grew up in, so people can spout exposition at her and talk down to her for not knowing anything; and to be "comically" harrassed and messed with by the guys in the group, which is really frustrating and aggravating to watch (as someone who has been in similar situations at least a dozen too many times). I really wonder why the writers thought it was a good idea to take this route with Meryl, both turning her into a wide-eyed naive noob, and to be the butt of jokes and teases. Maybe they thought it was cute and funny, to me it's not.

KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
Has it been confirmed that we are getting 1 cour? Or more? It’s going so quick….

It's more like it hasn't been confirmed that we'd get more than 1 cour. And seeing the speed I think it's very unlikely. If they had 25 episodes I don't think they'd go at such a fast pace.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:17 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:

That the sandwich would be the intermediary for the main trio to meet and make acquaintance with Wolf, right?

No? Only if you're taking things way too literally... it's not the show's fault if you just kind of assume things from out of the blue and then don't re-evaluate your assumptions after watching the entire episode... The title is "Hungry" because eating and food and hunger are the thematic line on which the story elements are tied on. It starts with people eating worm; then we learn that Vash hasn't been eating, also Roberto teases Meryl about eating worm meat; then Wolfwood gives Zazie a lollipop to eat and says one of his defining character lines ("even if you carry a heavy cross it's still okay to eat; it's still okay to smile"); then they're all eaten by Zazie's worm and Wolfwood breaks himself and Vash out, saying his other defining character line (it's been translated as "I'm a tough nut to crack", the Japanese idiom he uses translates literally as "I'm not a guy who can be eaten"); then the episode ends with Wolfwood teasing(????) Meryl about eating worm meat, and Vash finally eating, while repeating Wolfwood's line about it being OK to eat and smile despite the heavy cross he's carrying, which we're meant to take as him finding solace and encouragement in this advice, strength to get over his feelings of guilt and self-blame, as well as noting the symbolism re: Vash starving for acceptance and companionship and perhaps absolution from what he believes are his sins and whatnot (Japanese uses the same "to starve for" idiom for this as English so it's not something falsely extrapolated from the English title).

It's not like, Tolstoy, it's not as smart as it probably sounded at draft phase, but it's not "subpar" either.

Anyway, I continue not hating the show, I have my issues with it, but apart from one (see below) they're not enough to ruin the show just yet. Again if I hadn't known Trigun before I'd probably enjoy it more.

The one issue I continue to really hate is how they're treating Meryl. It's like she exists for two reasons, one: to be the one to know literally nothing about the world she's supposedly also grew up in, so people can spout exposition at her and talk down to her for not knowing anything; and to be "comically" harrassed and messed with by the guys in the group, which is really frustrating and aggravating to watch (as someone who has been in similar situations at least a dozen too many times). I really wonder why the writers thought it was a good idea to take this route with Meryl, both turning her into a wide-eyed naive noob, and to be the butt of jokes and teases. Maybe they thought it was cute and funny, to me it's not.

KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:

It's more like it hasn't been confirmed that we'd get more than 1 cour. And seeing the speed I think it's very unlikely. If they had 25 episodes I don't think they'd go at such a fast pace.

Interesting, but I still call it "subpar".
Not actually interesting in practice, and nothing is really landing to me.

And Meryl, like you said... she remains in this version just to be the romantic interest, right?
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Stampede dares to ask the question: "what if you took a good show and surgically removed all intrigue and suspense?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7