• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Trigun Stampede

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Meryl‘s role in Stampede so far is more acting as the audience surrogate than anything else. There hasn’t even been much to characterize her as a “love interest” (which IIRC was only a thing in the first anime, she didn’t even have any romantic development with Vash in the manga right?).

If Stampede is only one cour so far, I wonder if they are intending to try to tell and resolve the entire planned story in one cour or if the one cour will just be adapting like a part/arc of the greater Stampede story (and they are hoping they will be able to produce more additional cours/seasons later)?
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Theozilla wrote:
Meryl‘s role in Stampede so far is more acting as the audience surrogate than anything else. There hasn’t even been much to characterize her as a “love interest” (which IIRC was only a thing in the first anime, she didn’t even have any romantic development with Vash in the manga right?).

If Stampede is only one cour so far, I wonder if they are intending to try to tell and resolve the entire planned story in one cour or if the one cour will just be adapting like a part/arc of the greater Stampede story (and they are hoping they will be able to produce more additional cours/seasons later)?

In the manga, there was little to no romance as Nightow himself claimed that his Vash was not a womanizer like the one from Madhouse. Kuroda himself claimed that Meryl was the focus of the first episodes as audience surrogate to reveal the skills of Vash by the fifth episode.

Stampede is also doing its own take of the concepts. In the manga Wolfwood didn't really clash spoiler[with Vash until he shot the defeated samurai something that turned into the child assassination in Madhouse's take.]
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I understand that they're trying to use Meryl as audience surrogate but it's just not working, she's just way too oblivious/ignorant of things that she should know, as a resident of this world, really... And even that aside, the tone they're taking with her is what really irritates me, the fact that they're using the only woman in the main cast to be the one everyone talks down to, lectures, dismisses, makes jokes at her expense, etc. I think I'm not the only woman who can relate to this sort of thing a bit too much to find it charming or cute or anything but really really irritating.

Theozilla wrote:

She wasn't much of a love interest in the first anime either. She was hinted to have developed some feelings for Vash, but it was never given much spotlight, Vash was never shown to reciprocate or even be aware of it (at least as far as I remember), and it was never even suggested that she wanted to pursue him at all in a romantic sense. spoiler[(Wolfwood got tons more development with Milly, and I think that was done really well.)]

tintor2 wrote:
Stampede is also doing its own take of the concepts. In the manga Wolfwood didn't really clash spoiler[with Vash until he shot the defeated samurai something that turned into the child assassination in Madhouse's take.]

Stampede is condensing things like crazy, which is why I think there's only one cour for them to tell the story they want to tell.

Last edited by SHD on Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:08 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
The title is "Hungry" because eating and food and hunger are the thematic line on which the story elements are tied on. It starts with people eating worm; then we learn that Vash hasn't been eating, also Roberto teases Meryl about eating worm meat; then Wolfwood gives Zazie a lollipop to eat and says one of his defining character lines ("even if you carry a heavy cross it's still okay to eat; it's still okay to smile"); then they're all eaten by Zazie's worm and Wolfwood breaks himself and Vash out, saying his other defining character line (it's been translated as "I'm a tough nut to crack", the Japanese idiom he uses translates literally as "I'm not a guy who can be eaten"); then the episode ends with Wolfwood teasing(????) Meryl about eating worm meat, and Vash finally eating, while repeating Wolfwood's line about it being OK to eat and smile despite the heavy cross he's carrying, which we're meant to take as him finding solace and encouragement in this advice, strength to get over his feelings of guilt and self-blame, as well as noting the symbolism re: Vash starving for acceptance and companionship and perhaps absolution from what he believes are his sins and whatnot (Japanese uses the same "to starve for" idiom for this as English so it's not something falsely extrapolated from the English title).

I love everything you said here, that was a wonderful reading of this episode.

SHD wrote:
The one issue I continue to really hate is how they're treating Meryl. It's like she exists for two reasons, one: to be the one to know literally nothing about the world she's supposedly also grew up in, so people can spout exposition at her and talk down to her for not knowing anything; and to be "comically" harrassed and messed with by the guys in the group

Saying she knows literally nothing is overdoing it a bit. The only thing I can think of that she hasn't known about is the sky worms(I'm open to a list of other examples if someone wants to make one). I assume seeing the huge flock of worms is something you only see outside of the big city(weird sentence) where I'm gleaming Meryl has spent most of her life. And the only person who treats her like a dum dum is Roberto, which fits his admittedly pretty unnecessary character. Yeah, it's pretty baffling why they decided the naiive student and the gruff mentor was the way to go with the audience surrogate characters. Although if the thought that "That's close enough to the Meryl/Milly dynamic." is entering my head I can assume they thought so, too, and put more stock in it than we do. My assumption is that after Meryl delivers her report on the current events she'll be assigned a tall, lovable female partner.

SHD wrote:
It's more like it hasn't been confirmed that we'd get more than 1 cour. And seeing the speed I think it's very unlikely. If they had 25 episodes I don't think they'd go at such a fast pace.

They could still give us 2 cours if they keep going more the manga route since trying to stop Knives' ultimate plan takes a huge chunk out of Trigun Maximum. I sure hope we get 2.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 is still plagued by the biggest problem I have with this new adaptation: putting everything up front right away instead of letting it build up naturally. spoiler[That Wolfwood's cross is actually a gun and that he's with the Gung-Ho Guns. I guess you could also throw in there the bit about Vash's pacifism and goofy personality being a defense mechanism, which didn't become clear until the second half of the series.] Another thing I noticed is that Vash is oddly flat, we're 4 episode in and they've dumped a ton of story and background on us but it feels like he's barely had any impact on anything that's happened and that he's just going through motions of what his character is supposed to do and say.

The writing just feels like it's trying to do way too much way too fast.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Episode 4 is still plagued by the biggest problem I have with this new adaptation: putting everything up front right away instead of letting it build up naturally. spoiler[That Wolfwood's cross is actually a gun and that he's with the Gung-Ho Guns. I guess you could also throw in there the bit about Vash's pacifism and goofy personality being a defense mechanism, which didn't become clear until the second half of the series.] Another thing I noticed is that Vash is oddly flat, we're 4 episode in and they've dumped a ton of story and background on us but it feels like he's barely had any impact on anything that's happened and that he's just going through motions of what his character is supposed to do and say.

The writing just feels like it's trying to do way too much way too fast.

It's incredibly frustrating. There's no reason for the scene between Wolfwood and Zazie to be here, other than to make the show less interesting by not giving audiences time to ponder what the deal with Wolfwood might be.

It's a trademark of bad remakes recently: not knowing who they want their audience to be. Do they want to draw in new people, or do they want to cater to older fans who already know these details? Which is also a reason why those issues with Vash exist: they are paradoxically wanting to go in their own direction, while also leaning on the older version to fill in the gaps for why anyone should care about this character.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Episode 4 is still plagued by the biggest problem I have with this new adaptation: putting everything up front right away instead of letting it build up naturally.

As you say, it's a You problem, with so many years of manga love behind me it doesn't bother me at all. I prefer it, in fact, and think it builds up just fine. No messing around, no filler. Not for everybody, but definitely for me.

Great Rumbler wrote:
Another thing I noticed is that Vash is oddly flat, we're 4 episode in and they've dumped a ton of story and background on us but it feels like he's barely had any impact on anything that's happened and that he's just going through motions of what his character is supposed to do and say.

This comment really confuses me and I truly want a bigger explanation if you can give it.

JoelBurger wrote:
It's incredibly frustrating. There's no reason for the scene between Wolfwood and Zazie to be here, other than to make the show less interesting by not giving audiences time to ponder what the deal with Wolfwood might be.

Also a You problem, it won't make things less interesting for tons of people out there, it's just how you yourself prefer the story to be told.

JoelBurger wrote:
It's a trademark of bad remakes recently: not knowing who they want their audience to be. Do they want to draw in new people, or do they want to cater to older fans who already know these details?

Sometimes they also want there to be something for everyone and from my observations through reaction videos and such, they're succeeding. New people who aren't familiar with the manga or previous anime are digging it and older fans like myself(who else would use the phrase "digging it"?) are also digging it.

JoelBurger wrote:
Which is also a reason why those issues with Vash exist: they are paradoxically wanting to go in their own direction, while also leaning on the older version to fill in the gaps for why anyone should care about this character.

If they wanted to truly go their own direction and not lean on what came before they would not have chosen to adapt Trigun in the first place. Also it's too early to tell how much of the audience's prior knowledge they may have taken into account. Trigun has never given Vash's full backstory, even though this series started near the beginning of it, there's still likely much more that is left to be revealed. When it's over I'll be willing to revisit this idea or how well or badly it's been done.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:11 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Also a You problem, it won't make things less interesting for tons of people out there, it's just how you yourself prefer the story to be told.

No, it's a basic storytelling problem. Unless you have some way in which the narrative is enhanced by them just tossing out Wolfwood's agenda in the same episode he's introduced (before any new viewer could even know who he is, much less care about any revelations about him), you're just trying to scrounge for excuses for poor structure and pacing and failing at it.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:09 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
No, it's a basic storytelling problem. Unless you have some way in which the narrative is enhanced by them just tossing out Wolfwood's agenda in the same episode he's introduced (before any new viewer could even know who he is, much less care about any revelations about him), you're just trying to scrounge for excuses for poor structure and pacing and failing at it.

A character's introduction, the reveal of their history, goals and agenda, and how the audience grows to relate to them doesn't have to be told in such a linear way. Characters don't just develop into someone you care about before such revelations are made. In my opinion it's still too early to say the narrative won't be enhanced by them doing it this way.

Also, they haven't necessarily revealed Wolfwood's agenda. They've presented a character who is at odds with Vash's philosophy and placed him on the opposing team with references to his possible agenda being provided by a character that we shouldn't assume truly knows Wolfwood's agenda any more than we do.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:05 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
A character's introduction, the reveal of their history, goals and agenda, and how the audience grows to relate to them doesn't have to be told in such a linear way.

We went from wondering who this suspicious new guy is, to being somewhat convinced that he's on Vash's side, and then learning that he really is up to something shady, all in the same episode. This makes most of the episode feel sort of unnecessary, since all it did was confirm our first instincts about him being untrustworthy, ending with a dramatic irony situation where Vash trusts him but the audience doesn't. It definitely doesn't make Wolfwood relatable, and in a sense distances us from Vash as well.

It's just strange how the writers seem unwilling to ever leave us hanging on anything. They had to have that scene at the end, because otherwise we might not be sure if Wolfwood has ulterior motives, and then we might... want to continue watching to find out? Normally, you're not supposed to tie up all the loose ends until, well, the end, because not knowing where those threads will lead is what keeps people's attention. Other than this stuff about "gates" giving superpowers or something, there's not many threads left over after each episode, making it so overly straightforward that people might drop it--not out of hatred, just disinterest. The battles are cool and all, but there's not much pressure to keep returning every week; there's lots of other stuff out there to watch.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:19 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
trilaan wrote:
A character's introduction, the reveal of their history, goals and agenda, and how the audience grows to relate to them doesn't have to be told in such a linear way.

We went from wondering who this suspicious new guy is, to being somewhat convinced that he's on Vash's side, and then learning that he really is up to something shady, all in the same episode.

But... this is something that happens extremely often in not only anime but all other kinds of serialized storytelling! New character is introduced, they appear to be one way, turns out by the end of the episode/chapter that they're another way, dun dun dun. It's a perfectly valid storytelling choice, because now there's a tension every time we see him interact with Vash & Co: what are his true intentions? how and when is he going to act on them? which of his actions are genuine and which are fake? etc.

Like, if you don't like the show and its storytelling then it's your feelings and your opinion, but to me this comes across as nitpicking and/or looking for something in this show that we already know it's not going to give (= same pacing as in the manga or the first anime).
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:24 am Reply with quote
xonathan22 wrote:
Old Trigun:

Cons:
Crappy animation
Slow pacing
Inconclusive ending

Pros:
Superb soundtrack
Lots of heart and characterization

New Trigun:

Cons:
Plot development over characterization
Fast pacing

Pros:
Superb animation
Will adapt entire story

I definitely agree with the fast pacing of the New Trigun. The 90's Trigun OST is way better, cause it blends more with the Wild Wild West feels/setting of the anime... but sadly I can't say that I agree with the crappy animation.. cause I am a 90s kid Laughing But the CGI of the New Trigun is smooth!

Kudos on also making your points concise and just like.. bullet pointed! Lol.
xonathan22

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:27 pm Reply with quote
@SenpaiDuckie Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Old Trigun. The art style is great, but it has a lot of limited animation. The only sakuga we get is in episode 1 at the shootout. I like both. Old has the charm, characterization, buildup, and music. New has actual plot and great animation. Neither is prefect.

Did I like how Wolfwood appeared, revealed his cross, became part of the gang, and revealed his sinister secret in ONE episode without buildup? Nope... But how sweet it was when he took out his cross and used it. Beautiful animation! I just hope the lack of buildup is compensated by the plot development at later episodes. I.e. they're rushing to show us all the plot, which Old Trigun did not do.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:02 pm Reply with quote
xonathan22 wrote:
I just hope the lack of buildup is compensated by the plot development at later episodes.

If it follows the Trigun Maximum plot, I truly think it will.

I think I have an advantage, I love the original anime and the manga, though I love the manga even more because it doesn't take as much time getting to the story or beating around the bush with characters(the exact reason others don't like the manga or this new series). The thing is, each incarnation has things I take away and add onto the next incarnation. All the thoughts and feelings the original anime produced combined with the (at the time)new experiences I had reading the manga so that they kind of blend together and become something greater than they were apart. And now that is continuing in Trigun Stampede.

I don't know how clear that might be to the person reading this so I suppose, if I was keeping it short and to the point, I guess I love all the incarnations of Trigun. Lucky me.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:30 am Reply with quote
@xonathan22 I totally agree with you! I was surprised to see Knives so early in the anime too. It makes me a little concerned on the part that the character development will be rushed too Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7