• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Trigun Stampede

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:16 am Reply with quote
While Trigun Stampede COULD end with episode 12 it would severely truncate the story. I fully expect for episode 13 to begin with an approximation of the beginning of Trigun Maximum. I think so because, even with the changes in these first 12 episodes, Trigun Stampede is still more or less lining up with the story seen in the original Trigun manga before it became Maximum. And that means there's a lot left to come and episode 12 will likely end with spoiler[Vash's Angel Arm destroying July.]

Last edited by trilaan on Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Does Land of the Lustrous even have enough manga chapters for another anime season?

Oh definitely. The adaptation covers roughly four and a half volumes (they cut out the middle portion of volume five, which introduces an important new character), of which currently twelve exist. If the speculation that the thirteenth volume will rap up the story turns out to be true, then it would require two seasons to successfully close out the story.

Of course it did take a year or so after the anime finished to have enough material for a follow up, so it's unsurprising that other projects like Beastars have appeared in the meantime. Trigun Stampede, for example, has been in production for five years, presumably not that long after the anime wrapped up. Also director Takahiko Kyogoku's time is currently being taken up by Love Liver Superstar.

Unfortunately nobody seems to know whether there's continued interest in carrying the adaptation, despite the manga still being a huge hit. Maybe it's a case of schedules not aligning, or perhaps TOHO & Kodansha feel the show has served its purpose as a promotion for the source material & don't feel the need to fund more. It was also a work for hire project by Orange, something they've moved away from with future projects, so if any further adaptation somehow wouldn't allow them to be profit participants etc., there's a good chance they might just walk away. It's all a big mystery.

I know recently Kodansha rented out some video billboards in Akihabara to promote the twelve volume (you can find it on Kodansha's youtube account - warning, major spoilers), and brought back Phos & Cinnabar's VA's to voice the characters. That could be encouraging, although in a press release Tomoyo Kurosawa sounded vaguely irritated that she was being asked to portray a far later version of the character without being allowed to act through the process herself, so ultimately who the hell knows?

tldr: yes. Smile

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Does Land of the Lustrous even have enough manga chapters for another anime season?

More than enough. I haven't read the manga yet, but apparently the anime ended around chapter 30 (apparently elements were taken from chapters between 30 and 36) and the manga has 100 chapters right now. There was a hiatus, but if I recall correctly, it was less than two years.

Made in Abyss is the series where the latest anime season was just a few chapters away from catching up (as far as I'm aware, now there are several chapters).
malek86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:54 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
While Trigun Stampede COULD end with episode 12 it would severely truncate the story. I fully expect for episode 13 to begin with an approximation of the beginning of Trigun Maximum. I think so because, even with the changes in these first 12 episodes, Trigun Stampede is still more or less lining up with the story seen in the original Trigun manga before it became Maximum. And that means there's a lot left to come.

I never thought about that, but it actually makes sense. Stampede has been a mixed bag so far, but I would welcome a second season based on Maximum... it would need at least 26 episodes though.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the series director posted this art of an older Elendira the Crimson-Nail a few days ago, I feel like that's very strong evidence that Stampede's narrative will get more than one season/cour to tell its story
https://twitter.com/kenji_muto/status/1636586786385457157

Also we already know what Elendira the Crimson-Nail is, the previous episode told us that she is a plant-human hybrid created from Knives' genes.

And Plants aren't from another dimension, they are just intrinsically connected and can access the another dimension for their various abilities. They are bio-engineered organism created by humans to basically be living energy power-plants.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:11 pm Reply with quote
And yet again they completely screw over Knives's backstory and Tesla was given no justice.

Knives being a sweet kid before the incident, the details of what actually happened to Tesla, Rem's own flaws, Vash's depression and suicide attempt, all completely skipped. It's like they just waved Tesla in front of us and went "Look manga fans, Tesla!" without actually going into why she made such an impact.

I'd be fine with this being its own thing if it you know, was its own thing entirely instead of taking material from the manga but just rushing through them without doing it any justice.
NobaraBG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care for the animation style of the original, even though I understand that was the style at the time. And despite its pacing flaws, I'm really enjoying what Studio Orange is doing with Stampede. Should I buckle down and read the manga?
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:13 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
And yet again they completely screw over Knives's backstory and Tesla was given no justice.

Knives being a sweet kid before the incident, the details of what actually happened to Tesla, Rem's own flaws, Vash's depression and suicide attempt, all completely skipped. It's like they just waved Tesla in front of us and went "Look manga fans, Tesla!" without actually going into why she made such an impact.

I'd be fine with this being its own thing if it you know, was its own thing entirely instead of taking material from the manga but just rushing through them without doing it any justice.

Completely agreed! Even if they go back in a later flashback or something and show how Vash actually reacted to that in Stampede (assuming that will be covered at all and they aren't just planning to have this be the extent of it, which would be extremely disappointing given how pivotal Tesla is for both Vash and Knives' development, and having Vash seemingly barely care about what happened to her does a MASSIVE disservice to his character), they already really botched the execution at this point. I also really hate that they decided to have Vash defend the Plants being abused by humans multiple times now, something he never, ever would have done in the manga. Like, characters in an adaptation don't have to be exactly like their counterparts in the source material, but they're taking away things that are core to who he is, and that's what upsets me. Especially when manga Vash is one of my all-time favorite characters.

NobaraBG wrote:
I don't really care for the animation style of the original, even though I understand that was the style at the time. And despite its pacing flaws, I'm really enjoying what Studio Orange is doing with Stampede. Should I buckle down and read the manga?

Yes. Yes you should.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:46 pm Reply with quote
NobaraBG wrote:

If you want just know that the manga is different of course and it’s ending might not sastify you.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:46 pm Reply with quote
NobaraBG wrote:

If you want just know that the manga is different of course and it’s ending might not satisfy you.
malek86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:54 am Reply with quote
NobaraBG wrote:

It's pretty different. More jokes for one, even during downbeat situations. I don't think the story is particularly good, but I did very much enjoy the characters and balls-to-the-wall action. Stampede seems to have neither, so yeah, it's pretty different indeed.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Ha! So those who predicted that Stampede's story would take more than one cour (which included myself) were right!
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:06 pm Reply with quote
The last episode was phenomenal! Studio Orange really pulled out all the stops. And there's MORE to come! More quality content for the fans and more complaint fodder for the haters (some of whom were so sure there'd be no continuation based on thin air). I guess it's a win-win situation?
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I've always been pretty on board the Trigun Stampede train but man, that was a stellar finale. Incredibly cinematic and everything from Vash and Knives confrontation to Meryl's spike in confidence/agency felt earned within the confines of this series on its own merits. Easy AOTS for me, and can't wait to see more.

Also bless all the fan artists & production nerds who kept hyping up this show each and every week all season long. You were all such a breath of fresh air next to the constant comparisons to the original series, CGI naysayers, and "Where's Milly??" complaints that pretty much dominated any online discussion of this show.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:47 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Also bless all the fan artists & production nerds who kept hyping up this show each and every week all season long. You were all such a breath of fresh air next to the constant comparisons to the original series, CGI naysayers, and "Where's Milly??" complaints that pretty much dominated any online discussion of this show.

Yeah, because the show certainly doesn't invite any comparisons to the vastly better original. Anyways, here's Vash with his old hair and Meryl maybe becoming herself (i.e. an actually good character) and not an ineffectual non-entity/damsel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7