• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Trigun Stampede

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:31 am Reply with quote
I was getting the feeling this was where the show was going. I was worried it wouldn’t happen and now it has! I’m so happy! Honestly I was super skeptical about the animation but I’ve come to absolutely LOVE IT.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:21 am Reply with quote
Something that may not be super clear, but while Wolfwood literally skipped puberty to adulthood, it's implied that the number of years it has been since Wolfwood was aged up has been enough that mentally Wolfwood is no longer a child. So Wolfwood is more like mentally in his late teens/early 20s but like physically in his 30s. Likewise, the same applies to Livio ass well.
So I don't think anyone needs to worry about it being squicky if either of them has a romantic relationship with another adult character (be it in the show or in fandom stuff).
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:24 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

Also bless all the fan artists & production nerds who kept hyping up this show each and every week all season long. You were all such a breath of fresh air next to the constant comparisons to the original series, CGI naysayers, and "Where's Milly??" complaints that pretty much dominated any online discussion of this show.

So I realize that 95% or higher of the fandom for the original Trigun has aged out of anime completely, and of that remaining 5% a good part of them is knocking this remake. And for good cause, dismissing things like artwork, missing characters, and comparing it to its arguably better original anime adaptation are all valid points.

I asked where was Milly? I also was like CG anime.. meh. I think CG art style very much hurt (unrelated) Duke of Death anime adaptation as well..

I'm not gonna poo poo this remake, I myself couldn't get past the 2nd episode. This just didn't feel like Trigun to me, and I think that sums it up nicely.

I came back to see if it might have been worth picking back up during a slow anime season, I am still undecided.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:30 am Reply with quote
This show was alright. I didn't think it was amazing, but it wasn't bad. I'll be watching the second season.

It's been a long time since I saw the original Trigun anime, and I recall really enjoying the first half, but it lost me in the more dour second half. I feel like I need to rewatch it to verify that, though.

This has been some of the best 3D anime to date, definitely leaps and bounds over the usual content (see that Netflix Gamera trailer recently? Ughhhhh)...but I will admit I still don't love it. I've never cared for animation that floppily overexaggerates human movement and this frequently resorts to that, perhaps as a way of dealing with 3D's usual stiffness. But the result is...now it has two kinds of icky looking animation. The Wolfwood flashbacks just reminded me how much more I'd prefer if it was all 2D.

Last edited by Kicksville on Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
Re. Vash's values and how Stampede seems to sh*t on them regularly, some posters from another forum believe this was an intentional move by Stampede's writers to emphasise the weakness and hypocrisy of what Vash stands for in this season.
https://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=6541542&postcount=67

Quote:
I (feel that even back in the 90s series) Vash was always a wishy washy character and he's even more so in this new iteration. But, this time, I think that's part of the point the show is building towards. Vash is wrong atm. He's completely paralysed by "wanting his cake and eating it too" and has been ever since they crashed on that planet. I'm pretty sure that the show will only properly start when Vash realizes that he has to stop being paralyzed and needs to start making harsh decisions instead of, effectively, running away.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:50 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Yeah, because the show certainly doesn't invite any comparisons to the vastly better original. Anyways, here's Vash with his old hair and Meryl maybe becoming herself (i.e. an actually good character) and not an ineffectual non-entity/damsel.

Haven’t read the manga in years but she was an ineffectual non entity & damsel specifically a damsel in distress at least in one instance in the anime,
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:53 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Re. Vash's values and how Stampede seems to sh*t on them regularly, some posters from another forum believe this was an intentional move by Stampede's writers to emphasise the weakness and hypocrisy of what Vash stands for in this season.
https://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=6541542&postcount=67

Quote:
I (feel that even back in the 90s series) Vash was always a wishy washy character and he's even more so in this new iteration. But, this time, I think that's part of the point the show is building towards. Vash is wrong atm. He's completely paralysed by "wanting his cake and eating it too" and has been ever since they crashed on that planet. I'm pretty sure that the show will only properly start when Vash realizes that he has to stop being paralyzed and needs to start making harsh decisions instead of, effectively, running away.

Like the other dude said, it also feels like Devil May Cry 5 where the developers intentionally made the protagonist Nero weak as heck until the final stage where he gains conviction through a small talk with his girlfriend and gains some wings out of nowhere to stop his family fighting.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least Vash finally got his trademark spiky hair, so people can stop whining about that (plus, Wolfwood's nickname finally makes a lick of sense). There were even some hidden black cat Easter eggs for folks really missing that weird-looking thing.

I wish I could say I was impressed or excited but ultimately my feelings on the show haven't changed since episode 3, where the adaptation fully ditched the humor for serious plot developments before most of audience had become invested in the cast.

The finale was more of the same, a largely joyless spectacle between people we hadn't been given ample time to care for, had uncertain motivations, or where barely characters to begin with. Vash makes Shiro's "Just because you’re correct doesn’t mean you’re right" line seem thoughtful and nuanced in his attempt at defending his values, Wolfwood simply peaces out, Roberto dies to an indifferent blank-eyed stare from the audience & Meryl does nothing of value, as she has done all season. Seriously, the gall of the show having Vash tell her "I heard your voice too!" as a attempt to give her purpose, when we were literally just in his head, and the only things in there was his brother & the ghost of his idealized maternal figure.

If I don't care about either the cast or the wider plot, then all the flashy set-pieces in the world will quickly lose any impact. At least I could still see the 'wow factor' in episode 3, but by the end I was so disengaged that most of it washed over me & I found myself mentally tuning out. This seems particularly unfair, as in terms of sci-fi concept & animation techniques, Trigun Stampede is easily the most impressive thing Orange has done, but without an beating emotional heart to the story or cast I just couldn't engage with them the way that was clearly intended.

This is also why I'm extremely skeptical about what comes next. I've said a few times that the two things I appreciated most about the original tv show was the mucking about and strained camaraderie as the narrative slowly builds up the mystery of the world, & the Big Lady. Well, the former is clearly an unfixable situation, but we're definitely getting the latter. The problem is, given how hard this season character assassinated Meryl next to her 1998 'derringer' incarnation, I'm more skeptical & worried than anything about how both her & Milly might turn out in the future. This season reminded me of the Kingdom Hearts approach to sequel setup of all things, in that it might underwhelm you in the execution of the current story, but it will give you enough tantalizing clues about what will come next, to the point you imagine a far more exciting & rich scenario that what they can cash in. Trigun Stampede isn't Kingdom Hearts, but it hasn't given me enough hints at improvement to trust on the mere potential of future arcs.

Well, the Beastars finale is out next year, so presumably S2 will be out in late 2024 or 2025, depending whether it's a movie or tv show. Honestly, I think I'd prefer the former as I just want this adaptation done with now. That at least free more time to hopelessly wish for a Land of the Lustrous continuation, or perhaps just a new, better considered title. They were ambitious with this, no doubt, but it was an approach that couldn't work with the episode count provided. Something had to go, and in Stampede's case it was most of the things that made the original so memorable.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="JoelBurger"]
KitKat1721 wrote:
Also bless all the fan artists & production nerds who kept hyping up this show each and every week all season long. You were all such a breath of fresh air next to the constant comparisons to the original series, CGI naysayers, and "Where's Milly??" complaints that pretty much dominated any online discussion of this show.

Yeah, because the show certainly doesn't invite any comparisons to the vastly better original./quote]

If by "invite", you mean fans of the original material/old anime being completely obnoxious and constantly trying to shove comparison everywhere and whine about how this show "insults the original" or "s***ts on characters" instead of proving actual, valid criticism. Then sure. It "invites".
ronri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:07 am Reply with quote
The comments here are so weird. It's like people can't help but complain about fans complaining about the show when there's hardly anyone doing it here. Drawing comparisons to the original isn't uncalled for when Stampede has clearly made plenty of callbacks to both the original anime and the manga, not to mention how Stampede keeps building off of those expectations by setting up things that were previously a given from previous iterations.

I'm excited for what's to come. A lot of the work done with Knives's character has exceeded my expectations and this is what I wanted the most out of a new anime. It's just a shame that it had to gut a lot of Vash's character to get there so his moral foundations don't come across as strongly as it did in the manga or the original anime
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:37 am Reply with quote
I'm still not sure what to make of it after the season finale. Things like mentioning Millie, Meryl working for an insurance company, the destruction of July, and Vash's bounty jumping to $$60 billion, made it feel kind of like the season was a prequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7