• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Handyman Saitō in Another World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:04 am Reply with quote
Not that I could have expressed it as cogently or eloquently, but Christopher's review perfectly captures my appreciation of and my reservations for episode 5. Definitely anxious to see how this all plays out.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:19 am Reply with quote
Morlock's back story about his family didn't hit me as hard as I'm sure it wanted too, as sad as it was it came so abruptly it didn't give me enough time to absorb the sadness of the situation. Yet, I'm enjoying this about face away from the humor, but can we please not have the scenes spelled out for us like this episode had throughout, it's totally unnecessary.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:09 am Reply with quote
It's not like the show was much of a comedy to begin with. Yes there were gags but the show seemed more focused on telling a bunch of short stories that sometimes ended with a joke rather than the show revolving around skits that always had to end with a punchline.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:10 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
It's not like the show was much of a comedy to begin with.

Is this gaslighting?
The far few episodes were all short scenes. Of those, the vast majority of them were comedy skits.
Even with the death of short vignetes, what have we had of that comedy that carried Saitou so well in the last episode? Just the brief glimpse of the idol wizard hiding?
There's no denying that the show has radically shifted its focus and priorities, even if that was always the authorial final intent.

It's also ironic that the emotional beats of the show were better delivered in that "gag manga" format than when it's dedicating whole episodes to them.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I fear that this show is quickly betraying the premise it set up in the first few episodes.

If they made the entire season a series of short skits with an overaching story arc AND managed to tell it in a disjointed manner like the first few episodes. It would have been THE show of 2023. Now? I don't know anymore.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:30 am Reply with quote
It's only episode 7, but the resolution of the current arc felt like it could've been a season finale. And while in earlier episodes the anime could've worked as a short or a half-length, this arc definitely benefited from the full-length episodes allowing enough time to develop a connected plot out of individual skits.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
I still don't know why the ninja needed to murder random adventurers.
Nor quite understood when Murlock recovered so many of his memories and to what extent.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:13 am Reply with quote
I like this series so much!
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for Saitou for being brought into the new world. But then again if a girl like Raelza was into me, I would never want to return. Episode 8 was great. Raelza is the best. She is crazy strong.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The extra fake out with the lich worked better in the manga, since there was a break, but other than that I think this episode works quite well.
This is about where I'm up to in the manga, so it's all new for me here on out and I can't wait to see what happens =D

Poor Lafanpan, if only she wasn't 1 maderaka Laughing
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:11 am Reply with quote
Loved this episode. We basically got a boss rush for the party. Something I've liked about this series is how no matter how much damage is done to the characters and how hard the fight is they always get things back to how they were before, yet there's so much obvious character growth. Everything, no matter how small or simple gets a callback later.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fausti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:09 pm Reply with quote
"How Grandpa Got His Groin Back" is just too appropriate a title for this latest arc.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Great episode. Loved the action and the visuals this week.
I didn't notice that some of those strings coming together were little hands. Nice detail there.

Quote:
with the demon dog's adopted wolf puppy

Was that not his child with the wolf?
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Good episode, though it felt a little superfluous. I think the fight would have been just fine ending with the attack last time.
I won't believe Morlock is dead this time until we see it next week, but you'd think the priest could have done something to help him...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Ep12- It seemed oddly appropriate that to finish the show off there was a full-cast dance number, what a fun show this has been! While I'd welcome more, I almost hope there isn't as I would hate to see this gem wear itself out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3