• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible Anime Delayed After Episode 6 Due to COVID-19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
I don't get why they can't wait until it's finished, though.

I can only repeat: that's not how TV production works any where, except for those streamers who release an entire season at once.

It might be time to turn the exceptions into the rule. I can't imagine that buying airtime and wasting it through delays is a good use of money.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:47 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Philmister978 wrote:
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Any COVID-19 excuse has worn thin, and is just that, an excuse.Anime industry had this issue before coronavirus hit, and is now catch all for any and every hiccup along way. Three years to get process down.

Industry who have you believe margins are so thin that only skeleton crews keep production going, but number of shows increase every season; number of people entering industry increase yearly. Using China as excuse also moot since China has lifted Zero Covid policy. This is industry that cannot get its S together.

EDIT: At least Kubo-san has three shows done, and next three ready, so I find strange, episode six is bottleneck in production schedule. I know how production scheduling works; younger brother spent forty years at Sunrise, but planning two months out should have bandwidth somewhere o time to find additional sub-c. AIC seems pretty down on their luck these days Let them help, then maybe they can pay light bill for another month. Very Happy

Does AIC even have an animation department still?

xxmsxx wrote:
omnistry wrote:
I think it is high time that the anime industry stops putting on shows that haven’t been fully completed yet. It’s getting ridiculous seeing so many series being delayed because they’re still in production. Once the final frame of the final episode has been drawn, and the final line’s been recorded, that’s when an anime should be given the green light to be put on TV.

This is not going to happen. A few shows maybe, but the corporate perspective on when a show should broadcast vs how production scheduling actually works can't make this work. This has been a persistent problem for a very long time and it ain't gonna get fixed soon.

Thing is, this has been an issue pretty much since even before the 2010s (we're talking 20th century here), We're only now seeing the results of this flawed system thanks to all the titles popping up. Even with Covid being a thing, the fact still stands that animators are getting overworked, underpaid and the producers like Aniplex, Kadokawa, and the like (as well as the TV broadcasters and animation studios themselves) are not going to address those isues anytime soon.

AIC still has animation department. Sadly, not focused on TV anime production at this time. I am told from first hand knowledge that they wished to work on new Tenchi and GXP properties, but current external work on other projects prevents them from working on television work at this time.

I haven't seen them credited in much of any anime though, TV or theatrical. Did they move away from anime in general for the time being? What exactly are they doing?

kotomikun wrote:
Blood- wrote:
In a perfect world, that's the way it would work. However, since the dawn of TV, whether it be live action or animation, Japan or any where else in the world, series always start airing before their entire season production is finished

I don't get why they can't wait until it's finished, though. At least for anime, getting cancelled mid-season is extremely rare, even if it's horrendously terrible and nobody's watching it. So it's not like they're testing the waters with a partial season to see if they need to bail out to save money. All this system seems to accomplish is getting stuff out one season earlier, and maybe decreasing gaps between seasons in some cases; at the cost of frantic production schedules and sometimes having to delay or cancel a successful show because of unexpected roadblocks, which can't be good for profits.

It feels like the real problem is that the whole industry plus the fans have this weird culture of impatience. After just a few months, everyone will forget your anime exists, or the manga that actually brings in the money will no longer be popular... supposedly... even though gaps between seasons are often years long. Either that, or it's because transitioning to finishing the whole season ahead of time would mean there would be less anime per season temporarily (but the same amount afterward), and capitalism allows for no rest or reduction in any circumstances, even if it could ultimately lead to more productivity.

I do. At least part of it is that many of the shows that are done or nearly done are either extremely lucky in their productions or they're Netflix titles (and even then that's not a 100% fact, as they release full seasons in chunks they pass off as seasons). 9 times out of 10, a given show, be it an anime, cartoon, live action drama or sitcom, etc. Usually need to be done while the show is airing. Sure they'll have some episodes in the can so they can have the time needed to get more done in the meantime, but just how many episodes will vary from series to series. Sometimes the run is halfway finished, other times it's a quarter finished, and then you got the tragic examples where they barely have the episode finished by the time of the series debut.

The reason we see this happen more with Japanese titles than any other is that Western efforts usually have more time allotted to them and the channels can just put the show on hiatus or reruns until they get episodes complete as those concepts are more common over in such countries (which is why you'll see batches of episodes come out months after each other). Japan on the other hand is not used to that outside of streaming sites, so they have different ways of doing things when it comes to broadcasting. I'm not too privy about the inner workings like some others are, so I'll leave it to them. But their media industry, especially animation, is one that can easily struggle much faster than most others.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:36 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Blood- wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
I don't get why they can't wait until it's finished, though.

I can only repeat: that's not how TV production works any where, except for those streamers who release an entire season at once.

It might be time to turn the exceptions into the rule. I can't imagine that buying airtime and wasting it through delays is a good use of money.

That's never going to happen as long as traditional broadcasters are around (i.e. non-streamers). This way of doing things has been around since the birth of television. If you look just at TV anime, it's been the production method since the start and for decades it's worked just fine (from a viewers perspective). Until recently, the only hint a viewer had that the system wasn't working was the occasional recap episode when a production needed to buy a week's breathing room. It's only the perfect storm of covid-19 and the recent phenomenon of too many shows with too few people to work on them that the pitfall has become obvious.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
That's never going to happen as long as traditional broadcasters are around (i.e. non-streamers). This way of doing things has been around since the birth of television. If you look just at TV anime, it's been the production method since the start and for decades it's worked just fine (from a viewers perspective). Until recently, the only hint a viewer had that the system wasn't working was the occasional recap episode when a production needed to buy a week's breathing room. It's only the perfect storm of covid-19 and the recent phenomenon of too many shows with too few people to work on them that the pitfall has become obvious.

As you said, it's (seemingly) worked fine until recently, because the consequences of production issues amounted to a one-week delay patched over with a recap episode. Now things have changed. The volume of anime produced in recent years means no slack in the anime labor market, which means when things go wrong it's hard to find the manpower to fix the problem, which leads to several weeks of delays and wasted airtime. Production issues now result in costlier consequences than in the past, and that's a pressing reason to change the way things are done.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:48 am Reply with quote
Yep. Personally, I think the current level of production is unsustainable and I think we are going to see a contraction in output at some point. I loves me some anime but sometimes less is more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3