• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Films Nominated for 95th Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:56 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
But I think this is the first time in a long time a superhero movie got a major nomination, with the Best Supporting Actress nomination for Angela Bassett (Queen Ramonda in Black Panther)

Unless ya consider Joker as a superhero movie (Joaquin Phoenix actually won the Best Actor award) or Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse winning Best Animated Feature

Black Panther 1 was nominated for Best Picture. Joker was also nominated for Best Picture. Not wins, but you did say nominations.

Don’t know if you consider this major, but also Logan getting a Best Adapted Screenplay nomination was nice.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:18 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Xavon wrote:

But honestly, I have never liked the Oscars anyway. They are vastly out of touch with what's good.

The Oscars like artsy films. Whether that's good or not, that's up to you.
The South Korean film Parasite won Best Picture a few years ago. Dunno how many of ya guys have seen it

I've seen Parasite twice and I really liked it, not as much as other people who gave it rave reviews but I can see why it won. Weirdly enough, I showed the film to my family, who aren't that much into movies, and some of them actually felt sympathy towards the Park family, even though the story criticizes them for their attitude, though I guess anyone can interpret the story how they want.
If there's one film that one Best Picture Film that I hate that's Crash, I saw for a school homework without knowing it won the Award and I couldn't believe that such badly written story won, though I guess the Academy didn't want Brokeback Mountain to win.
And in terms of animated movies, I can't believe The LEGO Movie wasn't nominated back in 2015, and while Big Hero 6 is fine HTTYD 2 should have won. I think Frozen rightfully won the Award back in 2014, The Wind Rises is not that great in my opinion, but let's see if Miyazaki's new movie can win the Award.
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:30 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Ruhrpottpatriot wrote:
If you divide the world into Orient (lat: "east") and Occident (lat: "west"), then that nomenclature is correct. Orient means everything that is not Europe (or the western world).

That would be fair, if "Occidental" was actually used alongside "Oriental" to categorize culture. If the terms "Occidental films" or "Occidental art" sound strange and off-putting, you might be experiencing what people from many diverse cultures experience when they're all pigeonholed as "Oriental."

Yeah it doesn't sound strange at all, since "western", "occident" and "Abendland" get used quite interchangeably where I live; with "occident" being used more in sublime language and the others in colloquial speech.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Ruhrpottpatriot wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Ruhrpottpatriot wrote:
If you divide the world into Orient (lat: "east") and Occident (lat: "west"), then that nomenclature is correct. Orient means everything that is not Europe (or the western world).

That would be fair, if "Occidental" was actually used alongside "Oriental" to categorize culture. If the terms "Occidental films" or "Occidental art" sound strange and off-putting, you might be experiencing what people from many diverse cultures experience when they're all pigeonholed as "Oriental."

Yeah it doesn't sound strange at all, since "western", "occident" and "Abendland" get used quite interchangeably where I live; with "occident" being used more in sublime language and the others in colloquial speech.

Ironically, raising the German term "Abendland" demonstrates they are not commonly interchangeable, or common, period. For one, "Orient" is not used to reference Japan (or East Asia) in German. In English, the term "Occident" is as strange is calling language, um, "sublime."
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Ironically, raising the German term "Abendland" demonstrates they are not commonly interchangeable, or common, period.

They are used interchangeably. The reason why the term "Abendland" exists in this form is because Kaspar Hedio or Martin Luther, who practically invented modern High German with his bible translation, translated "occident" into it. Whom of the two you choose depends on whether you want to go by first mention, or popularization.

Egan Loo wrote:
For one, "Orient" is not used to reference Japan (or East Asia) in German.

From the German Wikipedia: "Im 19. Jahrhundert [...] bezeichnete der Begriff [...] die gesamte asiatische Welt, das heißt die arabischen Länder, Iran, Indien, China und Japan."
or in English: "In the 19th century [...] the term [...] referred to the entire Asian world, that is, the Arab countries, Iran, India, China and Japan."
And then there's the original bible usage, which defined "orient" as "everything east of Palestine"

Using "Orient" as a term describing the arab-islamic world is a pretty new one, about 30 to 40 years or so (see: Hardy Ostry, Gerrit F. Schlomach: Vorderer und Mittlerer Orient blutigste Weltregion. Politischer Kurzbericht. Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, 31. Januar 2006, Länderkarte S. 2)
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Ruhrpottpatriot wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Ironically, raising the German term "Abendland" demonstrates they are not commonly interchangeable, or common, period.

They are used interchangeably. The reason why the term "Abendland" exists in this form is because Kaspar Hedio or Martin Luther, who practically invented modern High German with his bible translation, translated "occident" into it. Whom of the two you choose depends on whether you want to go by first mention, or popularization.

Egan Loo wrote:
For one, "Orient" is not used to reference Japan (or East Asia) in German.

From the German Wikipedia: "Im 19. Jahrhundert [...] bezeichnete der Begriff [...] die gesamte asiatische Welt, das heißt die arabischen Länder, Iran, Indien, China und Japan."
or in English: "In the 19th century [...] the term [...] referred to the entire Asian world, that is, the Arab countries, Iran, India, China and Japan."
And then there's the original bible usage, which defined "orient" as "everything east of Palestine"

Using "Orient" as a term describing the arab-islamic world is a pretty new one, about 30 to 40 years or so (see: Hardy Ostry, Gerrit F. Schlomach: Vorderer und Mittlerer Orient blutigste Weltregion. Politischer Kurzbericht. Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, 31. Januar 2006, Länderkarte S. 2)

Whereas "Orient" in English took the opposite route — meaning the Middle East initially and only adding East Asia later. Which again, shows how archaic it is despite the claim above— particularly to the people in the many cultures it supposedly references. Which is more relevant in English now than "Abendland" in German over three decades ago.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:54 am Reply with quote
I don’t find them relevant enough to care about their opinions or how they come to those opinions, I’m surprised the TV show oscars has the fan base it does but to each their own. I'm sure they have their reasons to give their trophies, like Oprah's book club, but who has time to care about that?
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Although not related to anime but it relate to the Oscars, and oh boy they're sort of under fire for this nomination of best actress, Andrea Riseborough. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, go watch this news report video.

To quote an article from Variety:

Quote:
After the actor’s “grassroots” campaign enlisted a number of celebrities to help spread the word about the small indie, Oscar voters and viewers are left wondering whether Riseborough broke any rules or is just smartly playing the awards game.

Rumors have swirled regarding aggressive campaign tactics, focusing on social media posts from members of the Actors Branch. The Board of Governors is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, where they’re expected to discuss “To Leslie.”

If this is the case and I know it's not related to anime but if what I'm reading about Andrea Riseborough's nomination was bafflingly mishandled, then that means we don't know how many anime & animated films in general got snubbed in the nomination because of whatever I just mention above.

So for those of you forumites on ANN including GATSU whatever some of you said about Oscars not taking anime seriously, maybe your concern is validated now (although this doesn't explain how Parasite, the 2019 South Korean film was able to win Best Picture at the Oscars back at 2020 despite the same Oscars don't take anime seriously and the fact that a foreign-language film was able to win Best Picture was really shocking back in 2020 because foreign films don't get that much recognition at the Oscars but Parasite has managed to do that).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4