• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer might want to note that Netflix is also streaming this season weekly.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:58 am Reply with quote
It feels like they're trying to fit in as many Askeladd cameos as they can reasonably fit in. Not that I'm complaining.

Canute really rocking that kingly glow-up even if it's made him more vicious, but it's all for the sake of peace. At least he's clamping down on raping, pillaging, and selling people as slaves!

Floki is as puncheable as ever.

Man, it's nice to see Thorkell again and watching him chafe at not being able to fight someone.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:50 am Reply with quote
The horse episode was calm and slow but it really seems like Thorfinn is not only recovering his sanity but also becoming more human than he ever was in season 1. Einar is probably his first friend ever as his relationship with Askeladd was kinda weird even if they met for a decade.
Gho5tRUN3R

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:07 am Reply with quote
This show is starting to feel like the walking dead's season 2 where we are just always going to be on this damn farm. I don't want to rush Thorfinn's development, but wow is just not a lot happening around him right now.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
Gho5tRUN3R wrote:
This show is starting to feel like the walking dead's season 2 where we are just always going to be on this damn farm. I don't want to rush Thorfinn's development, but wow is just not a lot happening around him right now.

around him, no ( actually yes, but that's not the point), but 8nside himz everything 8s happening.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Soo..about thorfins dub voice actor abusing his girlfriend
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Snake and Thorgil force their father

What did I miss? I don't think Snake has any blood ties with anyone, he's just a mercenary, right?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Ketil is a complex man. He's compassionate and soft, but that puts him at odds with the value of his society and his own position, and he doesn't have the strength of conviction to really make up for that in the same way someone like Thors could.

Those poor kids...I mean, things worked out the best they could for them under the circumstances, but it was still rough to watch.

Arnheid's situation is pretty complicated. I don't see that ending well for Einar. But contrast how she is with him with how she is when alone with the master...and knowing that's why her mistress is so harsh with her.

Thorgil seems a little too battle-crazy.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
What did I miss? I don't think Snake has any blood ties with anyone, he's just a mercenary, right?

Yeah, Snake is not related. He's a hired mercenary.

Ep 7 was easily my favorite of the season so far. Wow. I was surprised, and a little heartbroken, when Pater suggested flogging after seemingly voicing exactly what Ketil was hoping for. This series is so good, even when Thorfinn isn't the focus.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I might be the minority here but for me this season has been bland as hell. Thorfinn remains one of the most boring characters in anime.
The first season was great because the focus was on Askeladd.

I am getting bored with Einar and his cute romantic crush with the slave girl Arnheid.

I know what they are trying to do with Thorfinn. He is getting his humanity back. He is learning about the fruits of hard work and to be proud of it. He is learning about true friendship.

I don't mind that the show is stuck in a farm but they need to inject more conflict more drama.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:30 am Reply with quote
Man, this episode was like the village one from season 1. Yukimura keeps showing how horrible the world was back then. In season 1 we had an entire episode dedicated to a village being taken down by Vikings who were seen as heroes while here in season 2 we had an episode entirely focused on slavery regardless of age.

There was no morale or anything. Both Ketil and Snake are not examples to follow considering how they treated the children.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Looks like tensions at the farm are reaching their peak as much as Thorfinn's character development is.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it was a request by the director or the actor's adlib but the moment Thorfinn punch one of the guys, he starts breathing a lot like his season 1 persona for a second. Uemura lately gave Thorfinn a different tone similar to Atsushi Nakajima from Bungo Stray Dogs but considering we are close the redefining moment of Thorfinn, I wonder how will the actor adapt to the new Thorfinn.
LickUmDry69

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:30 am Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
it was a hope of mine that this series and the story might delve into some of the interesting history of that era. Instead it is a constant attempt to shock and horrify and debase the viewer for continuing to watch this angry and hate filled tale. It says a lot about the author and the director and those who had to make the series they had no courage to stand up against and refuse to help spread this very sad and dark stuff. This is not entertainment. I do not have a word for it but the dark and angry angst of it all is a sad example of how debased anime and modern people can become. The world went thru some terrible stuff not too long ago but it seems that it is becoming forgotten again.

much better things to make anime about.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but I have lived a long time now and I hate to see very hard fought and won lessons being lost in the name of fame and success.

I don't think I've heard a take this whack in, well I have no idea how long. How in the world is tackling difficult subject matter and having introspection on a broken character debased and angry hate fueled writing. This is literally about the exact opposite of what your talking about it's about forgiveness and acceptance moving on to be better nothing debased and crooked like you claim. Seriously I think your watching a different show from the rest of us because even people who just don't like it aren't this out of touch on their assessment.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Yuto Uemura better win an award for his deliveries cos he gave Thorfinn like five tones to sound in a single episode. He really sounded different when speaking to Einar after leaving Valhalla or what you might consider that scenario be. The anime has always used hallucinations of Thors in Vinland for even the 2nd opening of season 1 and they did it again in the latest episode but rather than staying, they made him leave. It really feels like the redefining episode of Thorfinn. I think even Hajime Isayama was impressed by this in an interview for how protagonist changed after so many encounters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9