• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
I felt a bit betrayed by Arnheid death.
In the previous episode it was show her vision of the cart with Garga and both agreeing that she should go back to the living, that it wasn't her time to died yet.
And them in this episode she opens her eyes just to say goodbye?
A bit disappointing, and it felt that she died in part to motivate Thorffin to keep he promise about Vinland.

Did you not read the subtitles during that scene?

The exact lines were

Gardar: "Tell them - the ones who looked after you - farewell. I'll be waiting for you here with the children."

Arnheid: "You're right. I need to thank Einar and the others."

That "farewell" seems pretty clear to me.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:08 pm Reply with quote
For those who are interested in reading along with the manga, this episode basically adapted all of chapters 92 and 93.

Though besides the standard shortening and trimming of dialogue, this episode also changed the parts equivalent to the end of chapter 93. In the manga the end of chapter 93 has Thorfinn and Einar pledging to each other over Arnheid’s grave that they will create a land of peace in Vinland (and calling each other “brother” in the process), I am presuming this hasn’t been cut completely (since part of it has already been shown in the final season 2 trailer) and instead is going to simply be moved around to a different point in the narrative for the anime.

And Thorfinn does decide to go try to talk to Canute in the manga too, but it doesn’t happen in the manga until the end of chapter 94/beginning of chapter 95, and it occurs at the docks near Leif’s ship instead of at Arnheid’s grave. Also Leif doesn’t have an opportunity to protest Thorfinn’s decision in the manga, as in there Thorfinn just makes an excuse of having “forgotten something” before leaving Leif at the docks with the boat.

Some other bits of trivia, like Thors all the way back at the beginning of season 1, Thorfinn using chest compressions to try to resuscitate Arnheid was a (deliberate, Yukimura is almost assuredly aware of this) anachronism. The first reliably documented use of chest compressions for resuscitation apparently didn’t occur until the 19th century. Makes one appreciate the advancements in medicine and biology.

Also another interesting factoid, like Leif Ericson said, there has been “war” in Iceland in the sense there have been battles and skirmishes that resulted in casualties (the largest documented case apparently being a little less than 130), but in terms of a full-scale war or invasion, Iceland has never participated or been subject to one (in history that can be reliably documented and confirmed).

Also the King Harald that Thorfinn’s ancestors (or more accurately the people of Iceland in general Leif was talking about) likely fled from, was most likely Harald Fairhair, the first King of Norway.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:28 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Did you not read the subtitles during that scene?

That "farewell" seems pretty clear to me.

Yes, but after I whole week and having watched many episodes from other series and other things I had forgotten and started watching the episode hoping Arnheid would survive.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Probably one of the biggest surprises to me. Olmar was probably the weakest character in the entire series yet when "Courage" comes, Yukimura grabs him, tests him and turns him into a figure of heroism. The contrast he has with his older brother who loves war might come across as a commentary of toxic masculinity and how the author wants to address violence. For example, last week Thorfinn told Leif that he was proud of his ancestors for running away from war and when he decides to confront all the soldiers to reach Canute, he keeps being humble as heck. The fact that he actually treasures the farm of slaves because they are the only ones who accepted him after all his violent acts also caught me off guard and made me realize why exactly does he want face the King.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:40 pm Reply with quote
It never really sunk into me reading the manga but does now how Olmar kind of parallels Thorfinn in some ways. Idolizes Norse culture and the perceived ideal of being a warrior but (quicker than Thorfinn) realizes it's not what it's cracked up to be after seeing all the death and violence that consumes it. And even if he's not physically strong like other characters, he has a newfound strength of conviction and self-actualization of himself that lets him understand it's braver not to fight rather than to pick one. And he earned Sverkel and Snake's respect, despite his brothers' ire.

I love how Canute and Floki are like right there while Thorfinn is having his big moment and both write him off.

Things about to get good! Though the next episode preview kind of spoils it.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:42 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
It never really sunk into me reading the manga but does now how Olmar kind of parallels Thorfinn in some ways. Idolizes Norse culture and the perceived ideal of being a warrior but (quicker than Thorfinn) realizes it's not what it's cracked up to be after seeing all the death and violence that consumes it. And even if he's not physically strong like other characters, he has a newfound strength of conviction and self-actualization of himself that lets him understand it's braver not to fight rather than to pick one. And he earned Sverkel and Snake's respect, despite his brothers' ire.

I love how Canute and Floki are like right there while Thorfinn is having his big moment and both write him off.

Of course in the end all that courage gets him is being a roaming vagabond due to being exiled who will likely by killed by bandits in the future anyway though I'm sure that part will be overturned thanks to deus ex thorfinn. Of course there's no denying fighting wouldn't have resolved anything at that point given they have nothing left to really fight with but at the same time there's no denying he'd have been a terrible person to have inherited that farm in the future as he did not have what it takes then or now to be a leader.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Of course in the end all that courage gets him is being a roaming vagabond due to being exiled who will likely by killed by bandits in the future anyway though I'm sure that part will be overturned thanks to deus ex thorfinn. Of course there's no denying fighting wouldn't have resolved anything at that point given they have nothing left to really fight with but at the same time there's no denying he'd have been a terrible person to have inherited that farm in the future as he did not have what it takes then or now to be a leader.

What the hell is "Deux Ex Thorfinn" supposed to be?
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:47 am Reply with quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Canute_and_the_tide

They sure did their homework a lot in the series.

Still, I hate cliffhangers especially in a scene like this
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn did it. After all this time he managed to remember and live up to his fathers' words and ideals, that he had no enemies and that a true warrior does not need to throw a single punch. Everything has been building up to this. And I'm glad Snake and Olmar were here to see this.

You tell 'em Einar! Speak up for the little guy!

Must be so surreal for Thorfinn and Canute to see each other like this, and the different ways Askeladd's death effected them. But it doesn't seem like words will have much of an effect on Canute at this point.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Really great episode; they did a wonderful job adapting these scenes. My only complaint would be that the last montage with the farm characters had narration in the manga(which is tied into the Canute narration earlier), but I think the viewer more-or-less understands what's going on.

Points mentioned in the manga narration but not in the episode: spoiler[ Ketil retires a broken man; Olmar becomes the new farm head and sells most of their land and wealth in order to compensate those killed/injured during the battle; Thorgill wanders away without anyone knowing what became of him ]

It's really wild to think of all the countless people whose lives were positively changed by Thorfinn here.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:17 am Reply with quote
I liked the conclusion of this arc. While they saved the farm, Arnheid remains as Thorfinn's failure to save as he could not think of a thing to convince her to live after going through hell. When everybody started farming, we saw really ridiculous details to their hands.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:28 am Reply with quote
Sometimes all it takes is having the willingness to walk away and leave rather than betray your values that inspires the most change, especially from someone who had given up hope but saw in Thorfinn the possibility that people can truly change and find salvation.

I'm glad things all worked out at the end. Thorfinn and Einar have become Vinland Bros off to find a land of peace in honor of Arnheid, Canute is in a much better place now and changing his methods, Pater survived, Olmar and the farm girl are back at work on the farm, Ketil is left stewing in his own patheticness, Thorgil never got his epic fight and just leaves in a huff, and Snake respects Thorfinn and Einar enough to reveal his true name.

It's surreal to leave the farm, but this was a good ending to Farmland saga.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:31 am Reply with quote
Sometimes all it takes is having the willingness to walk away and leave rather than betray your values that inspires the most change, especially from someone who had given up hope but saw in Thorfinn the possibility that people can truly change and find salvation.

I'm glad things all worked out at the end. Thorfinn and Einar have become Vinland Bros off to find a land of peace in honor of Arnheid, Canute is in a much better place now and changing his methods, Pater survived, Olmar and the farm girl are back at work on the farm, Ketil is left stewing in his own patheticness, Thorgil never got his epic fight and just leaves in a huff, and Snake respects Thorfinn and Einar enough to reveal his true name.

It's surreal to leave the farm, but this was a good ending to Farmland saga.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Wait, was that the last episode of the season? There was a next episode teaser at the end...

Anyway, of note, is that Canute's infamous sea-side story was spun a bit to make Canute seem more like a man upset with God, rather than that he was demonstrating his humility... from the wiki link above...

Quote:
In Huntingdon's account, Canute set his throne by the sea shore and commanded the incoming tide to halt and not to wet his feet and robes. Yet "continuing to rise as usual [the tide] dashed over his feet and legs without respect to his royal person. Then the king leapt backwards, saying: 'Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings, for there is none worthy of the name, but He whom heaven, earth, and sea obey by eternal laws.'" He then hung his gold crown on a crucifix, and never wore it again "to the honour of God the almighty King".

So this scene was historically altered to suit the story of Vinland Saga and make Thorfinn the central peacemaker.

There are liberties taken with these moments in the manga if I recall so there is some anime-original content and presentation. Not that I'm complaining, this show has been awesome!
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Kinda conflicted about episode 23. While I do believe the second half was absolutely masterful and emotionally rewarding, I have a hard time buying Canute's decision after all that went through and how calculating he is. Too many resources and time spent on nothing. I also don't believe Floki's men would just be "angry" at this outcome with no further consequences. It's like Thorfinn performed Naruto's talk no jutsu on Canute and I'm suddenly watching a shonen (no shade against Naruto, but it IS a different genre with a diff set of rules imo). If we speak in "character arc" terms, it all makes sense...but the minute I try to think about this realistically, it falls apart.

Overall I think this second season was great but some moments did get unnecessarily bloated with slow pacing and stretching some dramatic bits. But to end on a bright note, I never thought I'd say this but Olmar was one of the best wrriten character I've seen in recent times. Just beautiful AND believable.

Could someone point out if what Canute does here is, in any shape or form, based on a real event ? Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9