• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High Card

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this was definitely a strange direction to take it. Arya was a nice addition though. I figured a Jack "level" card would be stronger, but she certainly made good use of the ability.
Quote:
We know Finn isn't dead because I bet Chris gave Finn his card when he pushed him off the train. It's also an interesting coincidence that the card Chris picked up at the end is one his dad used to revive him in the flashback. My guess is Chris plans to collect the right cards to cure his sister's illness by sacrificing himself.

I figured Chris gave him the card as well to hide it (not sure why though, he probably could have taken out the Klondike guy with it considering he didn't even need it), but would it do anything to protect him if Finn didn't use it? Maybe it has a passive protection effect?
Chris wanting to use the same hand to save his sister is a good call (no pun intended), but then he'll need his card back from Finn if that's where it is...
Speaking of Chris & Finn, it looks like Chris shot Finn right where Finn stuck the card.

DigiCom wrote:
I've seen it theorized that the combinations may have to be valid poker hands, which suggests that a Player with a royal flush would likely be unbeatable.

Looks like this is true as we just had a four of a kind x-hand. I'm guessing Finn will be the one to do the impossible and play a full hand with 5 cards and survive
anifani

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:29 pm Reply with quote
This is a fun and emotional show that has me looking forward to Mondays. However, there is a lot to be explained. Next week is Finn's story, which should explain some things, but I'd like to know more about Vijay.

Dang.... 12 episodes is not enough. Crying or Very sad
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I recently learned that High Card is a multimedia project, so I think the series will continue in some capacity, whether it's another anime season, or through a different media like drama CDs or manga (I hope). There's still a bunch of stuff to clear up/needs to be shown: Finn's past, whatever the Klondike family is planning, Vijay's backstory (he's the only member who has not had an episode dedicated to him), Leo's daddy issues, and the main issue of collecting all 52 cards (unless someone has 40+ cards hidden away somewhere, similarly to how someone had a hunk of the Shikon Jewel in Inuyasha). If there is no continuation, that would be disappointing.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:08 am Reply with quote
Lord Seth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:32 pm Reply with quote
A quick note on something in the review:

"Also, all of that talks about how Finn's card is one of the weakest in the playset came out of nowhere because while that does explain why his card is just a gun, I don't remember there being a correlation or philosophy from the value of the card to their abilities."

This was established earlier. At the end of the second episode, Chris says to Finn "Twos are the lowest ranking cards of all. In other words... you're the weakest."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2