• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Fire Hunter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Did reviews for this get canceled due to lack of interest? Anyway:
Quote:
One part that eludes me (and may be reflective of not holding on to some world-building aspect from a previous episode) is why Koushi fears the gods' spies at all.

I can't speak to how well the anime conveyed this, since I knew it from the books ahead of time, but humans secretly hoarding skyfire and experimenting with it are both big-deal crimes. This is why Okibi has an orphan working in his basement instead of a big research team. The anime cut Koushi speculating that Okibi plans to make him a fall guy if they get caught.
Quote:
Touko remains stupid whenever it's convenient, like running away from the guard or suddenly instigating a sidequest to get medicine from treefolk in the Capital for Shouzou, even though he has a prescription.

This one I know is the anime failing to make things clear enough. Shouzou and Akira got treatment from a pharmacist moonlighting as a back-alley doctor, but Shouzou is still unconscious and wasting away. They can't show him to another doctor because they're not supposed to be in the capital, and treefolk medicine is night-and-day better than any normal treatment (this would have been clearer if the section where they treat Kaho hadn't been so truncated).
Quote:
The book Koushi was looking through comes up again as he hilariously slides pages of airplanes and bombs to Okibi.

Believe it or not, this is a tense, moody scene in the novel. The anime cut somewhere between half and three quarters of the lines (starting from Koushi's conversation with Kira), so we lose: spoiler[Kira learning about what Koushi is doing and talking about how her parents treat their servants, Okibi plotting to have Roroku imprisoned or killed, and Koushi throwing this plan together out of incomplete research to save him].
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Reviews lagging because of low interest? Yeah, I could see that. I've stayed away since Ep8 because the writing has utterly failed to be engaging. We know so little of the character's motivations or history that they are just like the "paper ninja spys" that showed up from nowhere. They mostly talk and talk about politics, the gods and clans etc as if we should care when we are given so little to care about any of the characters.

In the commentary about the S2 announcement, someone mentioned Shin Seki Yori and I am beginning to think that is not far from the background idea here. The "gods" being those with telepathic and telekinetic powers as that guy that showed up Ep9 seems to possess, not "magic" as the reviewer thinks per se. Not caring about S2 but maybe some reveals will happen there as promised to make it casually watchable...

Ep10 was so meh that I couldn't help observing that in the post-credits shot of Japan from space, Japan was far north of where it should have been. Either the background artwork, which has been gorgeous overall BTW, failed or this would be have to be set some 10,000 years from present day. Which may be the case...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The final review for the last few episodes will be in tomorrow. These fell behind for two reasons:

1. I took a week off of work. Incidentally, that coincided with Buddy Daddies' recap so that show didn't get behind.
2. The finale write-up is entirely out of obligation because this show is a snore and a half.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:47 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad we'll never see the novels translated like Shinsekai Yori was. Of course it probably helped Shinsekai Yori was a far more popular novel which was even fan translated before the anime.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Well Lynzee, good review and excellent commentary in choice of thumbnail! One thing I think could have been added was mention of the WTF-heavy story elements because it went way beyond not spelling things out. Maybe I am misunderstanding something but the following was just incomprehensible

The Millennial Comet=The Flickering Flame=Satellite in Space=Lady Toukohime... associated with... Fire Master=Fire Hunter that Catches the Flickering Flame=Enemy of God Guy=Lady T's brother (?)=God of Wind Clan=Underling of Said God (??)

If all those elements are present in the novel, this anime has succeeded in killing any interest I might have had to read such a snarled story...
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:13 am Reply with quote
So, I don't think I ever became truly invested in this show, but I am invested in, and utterly fascinated by how much of an all around disaster this seemed to become. I am sincerely interested in trying out the books, if only so I can have a proper understanding of how badly this seemed to play out for everyone involved. I can't imagine the author is happy, nor anybody on staff and while the industry at large becoming an increasing hellscape is common knowledge at this point it's been a good minute since I've seen something fight against itself to reach the end this hard. I am faaaaaar too morbidly curious to not see season two but I absolutely do not blame the reviewer or anyone else for not continuing, I am absolutely the weirdo in this situation lol.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:17 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
The final review for the last few episodes will be in tomorrow. These fell behind for two reasons:

1. I took a week off of work. Incidentally, that coincided with Buddy Daddies' recap so that show didn't get behind.
2. The finale write-up is entirely out of obligation because this show is a snore and a half.

while no one blames you for giving up on the series (which is what occur during the reviews for GARO dark moon, yashahime S2 & boruto) , the series itself is to blame cause the source materials are way better and if i was the author, i would be ABSOLUTELY furious on how WOWWOW and the production committee completely butchered it for as someone who read the source materials, a lot of things got SERIOUSLY edited out!

this debacle is a prime example on how NOT to do a novel adaptation!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:00 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

while no one blames you for giving up on the series (which is what occur during the reviews for GARO dark moon, yashahime S2 & boruto) , the series itself is to blame cause the source materials are way better and if i was the author, i would be ABSOLUTELY furious on how WOWWOW and the production committee completely butchered it for as someone who read the source materials, a lot of things got SERIOUSLY edited out!

this debacle is a prime example on how NOT to do a novel adaptation!

Oh, you've read the original novels? Nice!

Edit: Got rid of the asking for fan translation. Sorry about that. Forgot it was against the rules.

Last edited by FireChick on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:23 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Oh, you've read the original novels? Nice! Do you know if there's at least an English fan translation of them available somewhere?

A) i read the original japanese novels!

and B) you do know that asking for fan translations are against ANN's Terms of Service right!?

Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I think I've said pretty much all I want to about the anime, but something struck me while I was skimming through the second book after the finale:

I love some of the little flourishes in the prose, like how the group of hunters who knew Koushi's father and whom he meets in the forest with Roroku are described entirely via their dogs. Those little touches do a lot for the reading experience and make it a welcome break from light novel prose (which I've read a lot of lately).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Ep10 was so meh that I couldn't help observing that in the post-credits shot of Japan from space, Japan was far north of where it should have been. Either the background artwork, which has been gorgeous overall BTW, failed or this would be have to be set some 10,000 years from present day. Which may be the case...

It's not perfectly rendered, but it's not that far off. They're just not looking at it oriented N/S as you're used to seeing it on maps. Korea is oddly elongated, and some of the islands are shaped a bit abnormally, but this is in the future, and climate change along with the fire apocalypse could somewhat account for that. Plus again, it's not a map-perfect drawing.

I didn't hate this as much as everyone else, but I don't know if I'll be back for more or not. Probably will depend on the season's other offerings when it airs.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Something like 4-5 episodes ago I didn't agree with Lynzee's description of the show as hard to follow (though I think she clarified, at the time, that she mostly meant because the info-dumps were boring and unengaging), but I think at this point I'm fully on board with that description. And, well, pretty much everything else in her final review; it took me 2 weeks to even remember this show's finale had come out! The superficial character writing, incoherent world-building, and popsicle-stick sock-puppet animation really come together to create something impressively less than the sum of its individually already unremarkable parts.

Especially disappointing given there seems to be something going on under the hood that might be worthwhile, in the underlying source material; you can even sort of see a little bit of what they were going for with each character's arc, from a kind of massive distance, if you squint really hard -- but, god, you have to interpolate so much you're basically writing the story for them. Ironically, I do think I'll try to remember to check out the source manga (er, novel(s)?), and add this to ye ol' list of "If I'm ever not terrible at Japanese, try to read this". Kind of funny that a terrible adaptation is sometimes more motivating for a deeper follow-up than a good one.

I wonder if there's any hope that season 2 will feature serious changes on the production side of things? Some part of me still really wants to like this, for some reason, and I'd be curious if the same issues that led to the wonky animation also caused the miserably ill-told narrative & character work.

EDIT: Also, at kind of a very high level, my experience with this felt like my experience with Kaina of the Great Snow Sea; kind've funny that they were both airing at the same time. Will keep my comparison too vague to be a spoiler: Kaina's production was more competent, but, in both cases, the central narrative and character work felt poor to middling, and yet I really wanted to like both shows based entirely on the hints of an interesting underlying world. And, in both cases, I eventually got so bored I just stopped keeping up with the show. Guess I'll go back and finish up Kaina in the next few weeks, at some point, too... but, man, really kind of a shallow season, with two of the titles I was most interested in coming together so uninterestingly.

And, for yet another weird similarity: both contributed OPs to my list of regularly played music. The Fire Hunter's OP is the one thing that never disappointed me about it! Perfect coding music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4