• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams Monster Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:10 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Can I assume the dub is unavailable due to rights issues? It certainly can't be a case of money, how much would it be before Netflix would consider it too much to pay for. Unless they are planing on producing their own dub at some point.
The English dub is not likely to be included on Netflix because as I recall the Japanese version uses a different score than the dub did.
So it's an issue with the rights to the soundtrack used in the dub?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:04 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that the article does not mention the presence or absence of English (or any other) subtitles. May I assume we are taking that for granted? When you get access to a long demanded show that is really all you need. A dub is a luxury.
Purple Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:41 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Can I assume the dub is unavailable due to rights issues? It certainly can't be a case of money, how much would it be before Netflix would consider it too much to pay for. Unless they are planing on producing their own dub at some point.

If it is so, they need to dub in other languages as well, such as German, Italian, Latin American Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese, since that show has never been dubbed in those languages before.

Also, there's an European Spanish dub for this series, but Netflix didn't include it as well. Perhaps because it also uses the Viz version as basis? The English version as I know doesn't have all the episodes dubbed, as others said here.
mdo7 wrote:
One thing that also upset me, despite taking place in Germany, I'm a little sad that there wasn't a German dub made for the series (probably because it was never broadcasted in Germany, which is a shame) given the setting. I would've watch this series in German dub had that dub been made (& a audio option had that dub existed) and probably would make sense given the setting of the anime.

Fun fact: Michiko & Hatchin is supposed to be set in Brazil, but also never got a dub in Brazilian Portuguese. It never has been even officially released there.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:08 am Reply with quote
On the one hand, I'm thrilled the series is available for newcomers to fall in love with. On the other, I am depressed the English dub isn't included because it is truly grand.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:10 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Glad to see all 74 episodes are now available, I do have a question regarding the English dub: Did all 74 episodes got dubbed in English?

Purple Ninja wrote:
Also, there's an European Spanish dub for this series, but Netflix didn't include it as well. Perhaps because it also uses the Viz version as basis? The English version as I know doesn't have all the episodes dubbed, as others said here.

As said earlier in the thread, all 74 episodes of Monster were dubbed into English and then broadcast on SyFy channel, and it even streamed on Netflix. Here’s an article from 2011 about the whole series on Netflix with the English dub. It is true Viz failed to release more than the first 15 episodes on DVD due to poor sales, the only other physical release with the English dub was the Australian Dvd release that has been out of print for several years now.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:03 am Reply with quote
Purple Ninja wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
One thing that also upset me, despite taking place in Germany, I'm a little sad that there wasn't a German dub made for the series (probably because it was never broadcasted in Germany, which is a shame) given the setting. I would've watch this series in German dub had that dub been made (& a audio option had that dub existed) and probably would make sense given the setting of the anime.

Fun fact: Michiko & Hatchin is supposed to be set in Brazil, but also never got a dub in Brazilian Portuguese. It never has been even officially released there.

Never got chance to watch the series, but that's an interesting fact.

LegitPancake wrote:
As said earlier in the thread, all 74 episodes of Monster were dubbed into English and then broadcast on SyFy channel, and it even streamed on Netflix. Here’s an article from 2011 about the whole series on Netflix with the English dub. It is true Viz failed to release more than the first 15 episodes on DVD due to poor sales, the only other physical release with the English dub was the Australian Dvd release that has been out of print for several years now.

So, Monster was previously available on Netflix back in 2011 (at that time, I didn't have access to Netflix compared to today) with the English dub included, didn't know that, thanks for the info.

Also, thanks for clarifying that all 74 episodes had gotten dub in English.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, Netflix also have Den-noh Coil streaming without a dub, I mean it's not streaming on Hdive any more from what I hear, so the license must have expired meaning the dub is available to license. And while I don't think it is on there now, they once had Gunslinger Girl without the dub.
phantom360

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Damn you Netflix for not having the dub. Hopefully discotek gets the home video rights so i can rewatch it dub again.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:52 pm Reply with quote
The TL;DR regarding the music changes is this:

- Around the production of the Japanese version (sometime late into the series, I think it was), the series Director (I believe it was), had mentioned "working on" an International version. At the time, it was assumed that he meant just prepping International masters and rights agreements, but this was not the case as we know.

- All versions that were localized and dubbed (at least outside of Asia, unsure if the Asian dubs used the modified versions) use a modified soundtrack. This extends to the Japanese track used on the home video releases and SAP tracks on TV airings.

- Due to licensing issues, the first Ending song muted the vocals, likely due to the artist associated with the song.

- Some markets "did" get Ending 2, some didn't. Viz Media, I believe, used Ending 1 all the way through.

None of these changes were a decision by Viz Media and came at the Japanese end. It's unclear if the Director made this decision, someone above him, or the mangaka requested it. It's exceptionally unclear.

However, people genuinely were blaming Viz Media, but given every single market outside of Asia was forced to used these modified tracks and M&E tracks, it's very clear this was a decision on the Japanese side.

Also, honestly, I'm not even 100% certain if Viz Media knew the music was replaced, outside of the missing vocals and second ending song. The only reason a number of us knew is because we were watching it as it aired in Japan at the time. Most people probably wouldn't have guessed, especially given the Japanese track has the replacement score.

As for why this happened in the first place, I'm unsure, but it could be due to them wondering if Westerners "tastes" were different (as other localized anime that was mainstream often had their music changed). However, it should be noted that it's the "same" composer, but the track placements and among other things are different.

Sometimes we would get some of the same placement despite replacements, but some episodes would be radically different. This also applied to usage of silence and ambient sounds, too. That was another element changed in the rescoring.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:54 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Come to think of it, Netflix also have Den-noh Coil streaming without a dub, I mean it's not streaming on Hdive any more from what I hear, so the license must have expired meaning the dub is available to license. And while I don't think it is on there now, they once had Gunslinger Girl without the dub.

It weird how they do that so often with releases on streaming platforms; they also had gunslinger girl with the dub on Netflix at one point.

Unrelated but another one that bugs me is I can’t find the English dub of kungfu hustle anywhere anymore.

Last edited by Dynamo- on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:34 am Reply with quote
Well, this is some fantastic news. As others have said, it's baffling they're not including the English dub, which is absolutely superb (specially the actor who played Johan totally nailed it). Hopefully this will increase Urasawa's popularity in the West and will eventually lead to a Pluto adaptation (Oh, boy, one can only dream...)
Nyapan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:19 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Well, this is some fantastic news. As others have said, it's baffling they're not including the English dub, which is absolutely superb (specially the actor who played Johan totally nailed it). Hopefully this will increase Urasawa's popularity in the West and will eventually lead to a Pluto adaptation (Oh, boy, one can only dream...)

Maybe you didn't know but a Pluto adaptation has already been in the works since 2017!
There hasn't been a lot of info about it to be fair so I don't blame you.
There was even a case last year where some genga were put for auction on Mandarake so people were wondering if it was cancelled but the studio reassured the fans that it was still going to come out and that that was just a leak.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2