• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hirogaru Sky! Precure Anime Casts Ayumu Murase, Ayaka Nanase

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
xxGoodxx wrote:
I'm down with an older cure but a male cure?! This is an insult to Precure and its foundation. Toei should take a look at the bigger picture and so as the people here who are been begging for male cures for years. We already have so many magical boys in this damn world. If I want them, I would go for Shonen Jump titles and the boys there are already magical. So much for strong independent women.
There are tons of gay, bi, and queer male fans and other gender fluid fans who are super excited about a male Cure that don't fit with the cis hetero views of more typical shonen super powered protags and there's nothing wrong with those fans who are happy for that don't feel seen by traditional cis male hetero superhero characters. This isn't even the first time Precure has had a male Precure. They had Henri in Hugtto Precure and the franchise has survived just fine. If you haven't even been watching the show in over 20 years, I don't know how you think you are more deserving to speak on behalf of the Precure franchise than the long time established fans who are excited for this.

Quote:
Women can't have anything for ourselves it seems. We always have to share it with men and cater to them and make sure their needs are met too. At least Naoko Takeuchi has always stuck to her dignity and stood by only women being able to be Sailor Senshi
Sailor Moon literally has Tuxedo Mask in the show.

Probably because that Healin' Good brought in a lot of newcomers to PreCure thanks to Crunchyroll and unlike Glitter Force (Smile and Doki Doki) on Netflix, CR simulcasted Healin' Good onwards in its purist form without being watered down. I'm not sure if you seen all of the previous PreCure seasons if you knew about this.

Of course it did have him.
Writer718

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I see you all are happy about Precure have a male Cure (not the first time) because you have been wanting to see that for years. All while making excuses about why it needed to happen, like "Precure is for kids in general", "little boys across Japan are watching Precure and it is great that they finally have a character they can see themselves in" and "There are tons of gay, bi, and queer male fans and other gender fluid fans who are super excited about a male Cure."

This may be a little offtopic but I remember that Platinum's Bayonetta 3 snubbed off fans of having their preferred couple canon in favor of the one that they heavily despise so much despite all the subtext since the first game. And then there are Hibike Euphonium, Cross Ange, and Amanchu's authors who outright destroyed yuri fans' (who probably made 60% of the fanbase) dreams and went with the het route. The point here is that sometimes, it's not good for a series to cave in to the fans' demands. Don't let their backgrounds, experiences, or *ahem* "agenda" define what a series should be. Otherwise it will lose its own identity for the sake of what is "global/current" and thus upsetting the REAL fans who enjoy the series for sticking to said identity.

It's ironic that Precure did something similar that Blue Reflection, a once-yuri series, did recently. If you want magical boys so much, then maybe you should have made your own series or at least supported those niche magical boys series. That may surprise you but there ARE a handful of magical boys series out there but they are either very obscured or just don't fall in with your preferences. Don't beg and scream for popular series to make your fantasies a reality. Don't act like they owe you something. It's like you just want one series to follow your standards and then run off to find another one. But hey, Precure gave you one on a silver platter. I hope you're very proud of yourselves.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Gr8 b8 m8. I guess all the technically-magical boys there, heroes and villains, are Sailor Moons too.

Last edited by Writer718 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
reynado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't HATE this but it seems pretty weird to me. I'm fine with Precure having male allies like Black Pepper and Mary in the latest series but making Precure both boys and girls now makes it seem more like a Super Sentai series I thought the whole point of magical girls was to give girls something to admire or see themselves in. Like I said I don't hate it, but this certainly could be the jump the shark moment for the franchise.
Writer718

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:22 pm Reply with quote
reynado wrote:
I don't HATE this but it seems pretty weird to me. I'm fine with Precure having male allies like Black Pepper and Mary in the latest series but making Precure both boys and girls now makes it seem more like a Super Sentai series I thought the whole point of magical girls was to give girls something to admire or see themselves in. Like I said I don't hate it, but this certainly could be the jump the shark moment for the franchise.

Exactly this. It's like a desperate tactic to pander to other groups because Precure hasn't been good for the last ten years or so. I don't think this will do any justice at all
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:45 pm Reply with quote
xxGoodxx wrote:
If I want them, I would go for Shonen Jump titles and the boys there are already magical.

I think you're purposely being obtuse in not getting that those are very different things just to get mad about this non-issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Writer718 wrote:

Exactly this. It's like a desperate tactic to pander to other groups because Precure hasn't been good for the last ten years or so. I don't think this will do any justice at all
What's weird is how you seemingly joined the ANN forums like a day ago just to complain about this children's cartoon being ruined because boys exist.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:45 am Reply with quote
reynado wrote:
I thought the whole point of magical girls was to give girls something to admire or see themselves in

?? That is exactly the reason a male cure is being added?? Because boys do watch magical girl shows?? And they want to give them "something to see themselves in" (your own words)??

Writer718 wrote:
Don't beg and scream for popular series to make your fantasies a reality. Don't act like they owe you something.

Who are you talking to right now...? Who on earth was begging Toei to do this?

Honestly, what is up with all this disguised hate? It's not like they're making an all-male pretty cure show. I really don't see the big deal in having a magical boy in a children's show about friendship, trying your best and protecting others.

Anyway, I'm loving the designs! I'll defintely check this one out Smile
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:19 am Reply with quote
Writer718 wrote:
I see you all are happy about Precure have a male Cure (not the first time) because you have been wanting to see that for years. All while making excuses about why it needed to happen, like "Precure is for kids in general", "little boys across Japan are watching Precure and it is great that they finally have a character they can see themselves in" and "There are tons of gay, bi, and queer male fans and other gender fluid fans who are super excited about a male Cure."

This may be a little offtopic but I remember that Platinum's Bayonetta 3 snubbed off fans of having their preferred couple canon in favor of the one that they heavily despise so much despite all the subtext since the first game. And then there are Hibike Euphonium, Cross Ange, and Amanchu's authors who outright destroyed yuri fans' (who probably made 60% of the fanbase) dreams and went with the het route. The point here is that sometimes, it's not good for a series to cave in to the fans' demands. Don't let their backgrounds, experiences, or *ahem* "agenda" define what a series should be. Otherwise it will lose its own identity for the sake of what is "global/current" and thus upsetting the REAL fans who enjoy the series for sticking to said identity.

It's ironic that Precure did something similar that Blue Reflection, a once-yuri series, did recently. If you want magical boys so much, then maybe you should have made your own series or at least supported those niche magical boys series. That may surprise you but there ARE a handful of magical boys series out there but they are either very obscured or just don't fall in with your preferences. Don't beg and scream for popular series to make your fantasies a reality. Don't act like they owe you something. It's like you just want one series to follow your standards and then run off to find another one. But hey, Precure gave you one on a silver platter. I hope you're very proud of yourselves.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Gr8 b8 m8. I guess all the technically-magical boys there, heroes and villains, are Sailor Moons too.

>it's not good for a series to cave in to the fans' demands

add that the biggest issue that the legend of korra did have was the creators listening to the demands of the annoying fandom of asami and korra to become a couple because they were afraid nick cancelling it while they were intending korra to be with Mako from the beginning which is shameful that they didn't stick to what they were doing and listened to the fans which i won't be surprised that if the creators didn't listen to their demands, the fans would have made death threats , complain and scream like it's the end of their world.
asie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:38 am Reply with quote
Writer718 wrote:
It's ironic that Precure did something similar that Blue Reflection, a once-yuri series, did recently. If you want magical boys so much, then maybe you should have made your own series or at least supported those niche magical boys series. That may surprise you but there ARE a handful of magical boys series out there but they are either very obscured or just don't fall in with your preferences. Don't beg and scream for popular series to make your fantasies a reality. Don't act like they owe you something.

I, for one, was excited for the ideas set forth by Maho Shonen (2019), as reported about on ANN at the time - but I wasn't yet in a position where I could have supported this project; besides, the Kickstarter barely got past 25% for the pilot anyway. The creators of this Kickstarter - again, in 2019 - highlighted the lack of "magical boy"-themed productions in anime. (Maybe there's more such in Boys' Love, but heavily romance-centric writing of this type is not a genre which appeals to me.)

I want more series to exist which allow boys left aside by the mainstream perceptions and expectations of masculinity, like myself, who haven't found reflections of their own struggles on whatever Shonen Jump-esque shows sailed onto cable television in their youth, can find relatable. As much as I'd like to work on such myself, art is difficult, writing is difficult, and asking others to draw and write to my little tune is either exploitative (if I don't pay them enough) or impractical (if I go bankrupt to pay them enough). I'd still like to try one day, though. Art doesn't have to be good to be enjoyable - or at least, that's what I keep telling myself. (Then again, I grew up reading sprite comics)

If you're upset about Precure adding a boy to the roster, that's entirely your right to be. Civil criticism of culture is, well, it's absolutely fine and valid. I can't speak on the gender consequences of the matter as someone with the alleged fortune of being dealt the male card myself, but I'm personally glad that the Super Sentai shows I got to see featured female characters, not just male characters.

I can't speak for others, or for the industry in general, which is why this post takes on a more personal note. Feel free to disagree, or not.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:43 am Reply with quote
On top of what others mentioned, this is great because it shows kids that boys can participate in groups lead by women/girls. The boy is the Smurfette here, and that’s okay! Separate from the message that boys can be feminine, it’s saying that women being empowered isn’t a threat. The boys can join in too, without “taking over” the group or diminishing the women in some way.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:39 pm Reply with quote
While every team-based magical girl series owes some inspiration to Super Sentai, Precure is arguably the strongest connection a magical girl series has ever had to sentai. It literally airs in the same morning block as sentai shows in Japan, and targets the same demographic age-wise. If anything, this is just a case of the sentai inspiration getting even stronger. Soaring Sky has one male lead alongside a predominantly female cast with a female protagonist, just like sentai has 1-2 female leads alongside its predominantly male cast with a male protagonist.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:

add that the biggest issue that the legend of korra did have was the creators listening to the demands of the annoying fandom of asami and korra to become a couple because they were afraid nick cancelling it while they were intending korra to be with Mako from the beginning which is shameful that they didn't stick to what they were doing and listened to the fans which i won't be surprised that if the creators didn't listen to their demands, the fans would have made death threats , complain and scream like it's the end of their world.
Why does it seem like most of the complaints in this thread about the male Pretty Cure are just barely disguised homophobia?
TsukinoSpoon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:

Why does it seem like most of the complaints in this thread about the male Pretty Cure are just barely disguised homophobia?

Yeah...not to fan the flame a bit but I am getting some weird vibes from those same comments as well. I'm really struggling to see how including a male character as part of the team is taking away from the rest of the cast. PreCure has had male characters as part of the story's focus before, no? Is it only different now because one of the main leads is a male child? Weird.

It's also a bit comical to assume Toei is doing this because fans have been "begging for it".
merr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Some of it’s that. But I suspect some of it’s also coming from voyeuristic male fans. There’s a certain group of posters that go into hysterics whenever a guy even appears on screen in some shows.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was going to say I've seen these arguments being made before and they mostly tend to come from the same place that despises their anime idols interacting at all with boys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4