• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hirogaru Sky! Precure Anime Casts Ayumu Murase, Ayaka Nanase

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
TsukinoSpoon wrote:

Yeah...not to fan the flame a bit but I am getting some weird vibes from those same comments as well. I'm really struggling to see how including a male character as part of the team is taking away from the rest of the cast.
Some of the comments about "girls having to share space with boys" also comes across as kind of TERFish.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
TsukinoSpoon wrote:

Yeah...not to fan the flame a bit but I am getting some weird vibes from those same comments as well. I'm really struggling to see how including a male character as part of the team is taking away from the rest of the cast.
Some of the comments about "girls having to share space with boys" also comes across as kind of TERFish.

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:05 pm Reply with quote
TsukinoSpoon wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:

>it's not good for a series to cave in to the fans' demands

add that the biggest issue that the legend of korra did have was the creators listening to the demands of the annoying fandom of asami and korra to become a couple because they were afraid nick cancelling it while they were intending korra to be with Mako from the beginning which is shameful that they didn't stick to what they were doing and listened to the fans which i won't be surprised that if the creators didn't listen to their demands, the fans would have made death threats , complain and scream like it's the end of their world.
Why does it seem like most of the complaints in this thread about the male Pretty Cure are just barely disguised homophobia?

Yeah...not to fan the flame a bit but I am getting some weird vibes from those same comments as well. I'm really struggling to see how including a male character as part of the team is taking away from the rest of the cast. PreCure has had male characters as part of the story's focus before, no? Is it only different now because one of the main leads is a male child? Weird.

It's also a bit comical to assume Toei is doing this because fans have been "begging for it".

>It's also a bit comical to assume Toei is doing this because fans have been "begging for it".

begging for it or not doesn't mean they aren't desperate enough to appeal to some demography also it's weird that they're doing this with a series that it's targeted for girls only even if some boys watches it which i don't mind but it is so awkward as the new characters are girly more than actual boys especially the adult one.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:

>It's also a bit comical to assume Toei is doing this because fans have been "begging for it".

begging for it or not doesn't mean they aren't desperate enough to appeal to some demography also it's weird that they're doing this with a series that it's targeted for girls only even if some boys watches it which i don't mind but it is so awkward as the new characters are girly more than actual boys especially the adult one.

If you have any evidence that demonstrates Toei’s motivations for this decision, please share it. Otherwise you are just speculating.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:

If you have any evidence that demonstrates Toei’s motivations for this decision, please share it. Otherwise you are just speculating.

We already have precedent from Toei about this exact kind of situation with Super Sentai. Sales and viewership flagged, and so they got desperate to come up with wild gimmicks to catch people's attention (teams of nearly all robots, male pinks, terrible CGI dog rangers). So now the same thing is happening with Precure and to drum up interest we're getting a male cure on the team and an "adult" cure (ignoring that we already had Yuri who was 17 and Asumi who was physically in her 20s).
merr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:49 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
merr wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:

We already have precedent from Toei about this exact kind of situation with Super Sentai. Sales and viewership flagged, and so they got desperate to come up with wild gimmicks to catch people's attention (teams of nearly all robots, male pinks, terrible CGI dog rangers). So now the same thing is happening with Precure and to drum up interest we're getting a male cure on the team and an "adult" cure (ignoring that we already had Yuri who was 17 and Asumi who was physically in her 20s).

How is this evidence?
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:04 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
merr wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:

How is this evidence?

Don't worry, one day you'll grow old enough to retain enough sensory information for pattern recognition.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why does it seem like most of the complaints in this thread about the male Pretty Cure are just barely disguised homophobia?

While I'm not one of the people with a problem with a male Precure, I'm curious where you're getting this from. Your previous post also mentioned that "gay and bi men watch Precure too" but I'm curious what sexuality has to do with this at all. Is the new boy gay? Or are people assuming he is because he's on a team with women? I'm struggling to understand what gay men have to do with this unless people are saying this character is made to appeal to the gay adult men who watch Precure like how straight adult men watch the franchise for the girls and Toei panders to those guys. But I don't think that's what this character is for.

In my perspective most of the complains about it seem to be coming from a female or feminist mindset. The idea that a property once aimed at girls is no longer theirs. Kind of like the opposite of what happens in America when a traditionally boy media tries to be more inclusive towards girls like comic books or sci-fi. Female nerds complaining about this like how male nerds complained about Captain Marvel or whatever.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:37 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:

Literally every Super Sentai show from the start has had some kind of gimmicky theme to it to sell the show so I'm curious to know why you're only mad about it now when the gimmick is having a male Pink. And Super Sentai has always had bad CGI so you're a bit late to complain about the CGI as some grave offense against the franchise's honor.

Quote:
While I'm not one of the people with a problem with a male Precure, I'm curious where you're getting this from. Your previous post also mentioned that "gay and bi men watch Precure too" but I'm curious what sexuality has to do with this at all. Is the new boy gay? Or are people assuming he is because he's on a team with women? I'm struggling to understand what gay men have to do with this unless people are saying this character is made to appeal to the gay adult men who watch Precure like how straight adult men watch the franchise for the girls and Toei panders to those guys. But I don't think that's what this character is for.
This isn't about if the character is gay but we did have spoiler[Henri] in Hugtto Precure who was clearly queer and gender fluid and this feels like it's building off of the steps Henri's character helped pave the way for this new character to happen. But the point is about how there are many LGBTQIA+ fans who grow up watching magical girl show and relate to the stories and characters of them that don't feel that connection with shows aimed at cis hetero males.

For a major magical girl series like Precure to include a magical boy character feels affirming for those fans who grew up daydreaming about wanting to be part of that world and they don't have to conform to societal gender norms. There was even a story in Japan back when Hugtto Precure was airing where Japanese hotel with Precure and Kamen Rider branding was changing their marketing to be more gender inclusive instead so even in Japan it's clear Precure is meant to be inclusive of everyone. But some of the language in the negative reactions also comes across as very dog whistle that is concerning.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:59 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:

it's a freaking big company that wants money from you that's the evidence buddy.
hiro-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Man... adding in not only a 12 year old boy but an adult woman is going to make the fanartists and doujins very Extra this year. I hope people are prepared.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:16 pm Reply with quote
hiro-chan wrote:
Man... adding in not only a 12 year old boy but an adult woman is going to make the fanartists and doujins very Extra this year. I hope people are prepared.

It's going to be one hell of a ride come Comiket, especially for those who like straight shotacon and milf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4