• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catone2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:41 pm Reply with quote
freebird1994 wrote:
This is it. You may not like it, but this is peak harem anime. It has it all: tsunderes, kuuderes, dandere, deredere, whatever -dere is your thing, its here.

You name it, chances are chadtarou is either dating it or going to be dating it. spoiler[Both a girl and her mom?] This has it. spoiler[Dating both a girl and here somehow younger looking grandmother?] You know this series has it.

I cannot express to everyone just how balls to the walls this series goes. And i wish other genres have series that do this unironically. I want shonens where the power ceiling is actively given the bird. I want horrors where it is literally like playing Five Nights at Freddys with random jump scares every minute. I want kaiju series where literally every character is a kaiju.

Not sure if you're serious, but I genuinely agree. Those series that go all the way in their genre is always a ton of fun.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:20 pm Reply with quote
freebird1994 wrote:
I want shonens where the power ceiling is actively given the bird.

Silly idea for a battle series I had years ago: The protagonist's power level starts at infinity. To be more specific, it starts at omega, the smallest transfinite ordinal, and power growth consists of figuring out how to rearrange the countably infinite set representing their superpower to represent higher ordinals.

I have no idea what this would actually look like in practice. Also I'm not sure whether uncountable infinity would exist in this setting. Maybe achieving that power level would be the villain's objective.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Finally! We've reached the pinnacle of peak culture!
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:51 pm Reply with quote
freebird1994 wrote:
This is it. You may not like it, but this is peak harem anime. It has it all

Really? Does it have BL? :p
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:36 am Reply with quote
FiendHunter wrote:
freebird1994 wrote:

Don't give ideas to the author of the manga.
Viren21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:31 am Reply with quote
This is surprising but at the same time i feel some would take it not as good especially the girls he will be in a relationship.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:20 am Reply with quote
Reddread2 wrote:
Farafra wrote:
If this can get an anime, then there's still a chance that Yankee JK Kuzuhana can get one someday.

A man can dream..

I followed it for awhile but the series got stale for me.

same here but i just take breaks, rest 3 months or so read what piled up, maybe continue weekly until the current arc ends, then take a break again. this works well with most manga anyway.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, does the manga and light novel really address that the 100 girls are basically being threatened with death if they fail to comply or succeed. I am sure there are some girls that would be interested in dating him and some that are game to play around, but surely most of the others are frightened to death or even murderously angry. Probably having to dump their boyfriends or interests.

Or are we asked to suspend disbelief, for comedic reasons.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:08 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Well, does the manga and light novel really address that the 100 girls are basically being threatened with death if they fail to comply or succeed. I am sure there are some girls that would be interested in dating him and some that are game to play around, but surely most of the others are frightened to death or even murderously angry. Probably having to dump their boyfriends or interests.

He doesn’t tell them. It’s addressed right away that Rentarou utterly refuses to tell them because he feels well, it would be coercion and unfair to them. Half of the comedy is Rentarou trying to win the girls over like their lives depend on it, because it does. This is a gag series but it avoids and shoots down non-consensual subtext to avoid ruining the jokes.

spoiler[It’s also all but said the only reason the first two girls go along with the scheme in the first place is because they’re bisexuals just as much in love with each other as they are with Rentarou.]
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:25 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Mild spoilers for the manga: spoiler[The danger aspect pretty much stops coming up entirely after the first chapter, and is mostly there as motivation for Rentaro to propose dating both of his first soul mates. After that, with the whole polycule angle set up, his motivation for dating each new girl is just because he requites their love. ]
freebird1994

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
FiendHunter wrote:
freebird1994 wrote:

I mean no but we are only up to like girlfriend number 30(i dont remember the exact number in the manga right now) so there is still time. I am, however, expecting a *boyish girl who acts and looks like a hot boy but is actually a girl* trope to come up at some point, so that might count.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:00 pm Reply with quote
FiendHunter wrote:
freebird1994 wrote:

Not yet but I just know Rentarou would absolutely date a boy if it came to it.

Also most of the girls are bisexual so there's that at least lol
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:55 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Also most of the girls are bisexual so there's that at least lol

With a hundred girl harem, that is almost a requirement.
L0ken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

He doesn’t tell them. It’s addressed right away that Rentarou utterly refuses to tell them because he feels well, it would be coercion and unfair to them. Half of the comedy is Rentarou trying to win the girls over like their lives depend on it, because it does. This is a gag series but it avoids and shoots down non-consensual subtext to avoid ruining the jokes.

spoiler[It’s also all but said the only reason the first two girls go along with the scheme in the first place is because they’re bisexuals just as much in love with each other as they are with Rentarou.]

I want to slightly correct you as Rentarou's first thought to win them over isn't because their live is potentially danger and he feels obligated to do it, but more importantly because they are his soulmates and Ren just falls in love with them too, wanting to make them happy. Man is absolute monster of concentrated love from birth, he first confessed to a girl when he was spoiler[[8month old]
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:48 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Silly idea for a battle series I had years ago: The protagonist's power level starts at infinity. To be more specific, it starts at omega, the smallest transfinite ordinal, and power growth consists of figuring out how to rearrange the countably infinite set representing their superpower to represent higher ordinals.

One Punch Man is probably the closest to this we're likely to get. If you wanted to take "infinite power" completely literally, it'd have to be like, as soon as the protagonist is born, his flailing arms create shockwaves so powerful they disintegrate the entire universe (and himself) down to the quantum level. Future incarnations of him would destroy nearby parallel universes as well. To have any kind of actual plot, it would have to involve someone somehow realizing this was going to happen and trying to prevent him from being born, maybe with time travel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3