• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yes! Precure 5, Maho Girls Precure! Series Both Get Sequel Anime for Grown-Ups

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:37 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
I think these days when mentioning a Magical Girl Anime series for grown ups, let’s just say you need to elaborate on that. Like is it Madoka level? Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya level? Plus there is the many other kinds of Magical Girl series that have come out in recent years for older fans that are not what you call kid friendly.

Yeah, my mind went exactly to Prisma Illya and Madoka when it said "Precure for Adults". Plus the Mahou Tsukai Precure is only a 12 episode series so its late night, so they're certainly going to be able to push far more in terms of adult content then any day time show would. Knowing how a lot of the "adult" Precure fanbase is with all the doujins and stuff I think its more likely to be close to Prisma Illya though.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:15 am Reply with quote
It's cool we're getting sequels to past Precure anime, just kind of curious how being aimed at older audiences will effect the content.

Maybe they'll do more if these go over well.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:09 am Reply with quote
The possibilities are endless, anything from the first yuri Precure to a legit sexy Precure installment with a darker story that puts Heartcatch to shame, basically a more colorful Cutey Honey.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:12 am Reply with quote
I really hope they don't go the Madoka or Prism Illya routes. Pretty Cure is one of my comforts, like a warm blanket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LunaticKingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
I think these days when mentioning a Magical Girl Anime series for grown ups, let’s just say you need to elaborate on that. Like is it Madoka level? Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya level? Plus there is the many other kinds of Magical Girl series that have come out in recent years for older fans that are not what you call kid friendly.

They highlighting that it's "for adults" because Precure's target audience are kids, it always had the side audience of adults but their focus was kids (think of Digimon Adventure and others).

Western otaku generally throw everything into the soup but in Japan they still are well-aware of the distinction between "mahou shoujo for kids" (the original intended audience that the genre was made for) and "mahou shoujo for otaku" (with more violence, subversion, etc), probably because they enter in more contact with ads, plushies, toylines, etc targeted towards kids having those kind of series, Precure is everywhere in Japan while it's underground overseas.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think the people expecting something edgy or fanservicey could do to step back and get a little perspective. Toei has done stuff like this for other franchises and properties before, and they certainly weren't anything like your typical otaku-aimed "dark" magical girl shows.

I suspect whatever form these specials take will be closer to the Digimon Adventure Tri series or Last Evolution Kizuna. Stuff with the characters aged up, dealing with more adult understandings of the dangers they're facing, but nothing that would actually paint PreCure as a franchise as being kid-unfriendly.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:00 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Yeah, I think the people expecting something edgy or fanservicey could do to step back and get a little perspective. Toei has done stuff like this for other franchises and properties before, and they certainly weren't anything like your typical otaku-aimed "dark" magical girl shows.

I suspect whatever form these specials take will be closer to the Digimon Adventure Tri series or Last Evolution Kizuna. Stuff with the characters aged up, dealing with more adult understandings of the dangers they're facing, but nothing that would actually paint PreCure as a franchise as being kid-unfriendly.

The thing that makes me question this is that the Precure series is well known for its adult audience being mostly otaku men. There is a famous image thats gone around where it shows Precures demographic was 4-9 year old girls and 19-30 year old men. To me it seems if they're making a Precure for "adults" they are going to target that large secondary demographic its always had.

JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:16 pm Reply with quote
How do people even get these misconceptions? "Precure for adults" pretty obviously means Precure for women who grew up with these shows and are now young adults/adults with nostalgia for them, not Precure for otaku looking for fanservice and gore.
MalikMarik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I would prefer sequel of HeartCatch PreCure. Maho Girls Precure wasn't so good.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:15 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Same here. Plus, Looking For Magical Doremi also focused on adults, but was still pretty kid-friendly and had nothing objectionable.
Millhi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:28 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
pretty obviously means Precure for women who grew up with these shows and are now young adults/adults with nostalgia for them, not Precure for otaku looking for fanservice and gore.

Eeeh not sure if I 100% would agree on a blanket statement like that. It just really varies per precure show.
In the case of yes 5/yes 5 gogo it would be correct but it couldnt be farther from the truth for mahoutsukai which main viewership already were adults and almost had a 50% male viewership.
Yes 5
https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/precure/asset/ranking/img/result_06.jpg
Yes 5 go go
https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/precure/asset/ranking/img/result_03.jpg
Mahoutsukai
https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/precure/asset/ranking/img/result_10.jpg
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:37 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

I believe you're right, this sequel on Yes! is probably going to the Tri/Last Evolution Kizuna route where the main cast grown up while facing reality. I guess some people jump to conclusions on the whole "X for kids or adults" thing.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
pretty obviously means Precure for women who grew up with these shows and are now young adults/adults with nostalgia for them, not Precure for otaku looking for fanservice and gore.

Eeeh not sure if I 100% would agree on a blanket statement like that. It just really varies per precure show.
In the case of yes 5/yes 5 gogo it would be correct but it couldnt be farther from the truth for mahoutsukai which main viewership already were adults and almost had a 50% male viewership.
Yes 5
https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/precure/asset/ranking/img/result_06.jpg
Yes 5 go go
https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/precure/asset/ranking/img/result_03.jpg
Mahoutsukai
https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/precure/asset/ranking/img/result_10.jpg

NHK polls conducted years later and with a limited polling base have nothing to do with the actual audience at the time of airing, or the intended audience (which is and will always be little girls buying toys).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:58 pm Reply with quote
People have a narrow view of "for adults" that they automatically think it's going to be dark and edgy. I'm pretty sure the new Precure shows are just going to be like that Looking for Magical Doremi movie where it focused on adult characters and the topical issues adults deal with but it still has a mostly lighter tone. And Toei is never going to make Precure "sexy." Just give on up that right now and go watch something actually for adults if that's what you want.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mostly interested in the Yes! Precure 5 part, since it still is (along with Heartcatch) one of my favorite series.

I personally wouldn't mind just a special that puts some kind of closure on the Nozomi-Coco relationship. As for Syrup...I wish they'd just ignore him (I still think he was one of the worst additions of Go! Go!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3