• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Insomniacs After School GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:49 am Reply with quote
I have to go back to the start of the review:

Quote:
Insomnia – real insomnia and not just the occasional inability to fall asleep – is among the most debilitating conditions you can have. A lack of sleep takes a toll on you both physically and mentally, and it certainly doesn't help that many people don't understand just how serious it can be.

From reading the rest of the review, it seems like the story is more interested in talking about the potential social stigma of being insomniac than about the very real consequence of actually being insomniac (and maybe its a japan thing, but I can't really think of insomnia as something with much of a social stigma attached to it). If anything it sounds like insomnia is just a quirky character trait the two main character share, which really make it seem like it feeds into "it certainly doesn't help that many people don't understand just how serious it can be".
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A little slow to start.

This is what the whole series is like, to be fair. I don't mind it, but we'll see if the adaption changes the pace a bit.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A little slow to start.

NGL, this is the problem I have when I try to read this, and it's hard to get back into it. The author's previous work has that problem too.
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Quote:
A little slow to start.

NGL, this is the problem I have when I try to read this, and it's hard to get back into it. The author's previous work has that problem too.

It's not a problem for me. Her other works are the same. They are prime examples of iyashikei slice of life stories which take their time to let the atmosphere and character development sink in. I've enjoyed the heck out of Kimi wa houkago insomnia and I'm looking forward to the anime adaption.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1