• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sora's Tsuiraku JK to Haijin Kyōshi Manga Gets Live-Action Series in April

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:04 pm Reply with quote
From what I'm seeing, 'haijin' was originally a pejorative term for the disabled (specifically anyone who's injuries or health prevented them from living 'normal' lives), but these days is largely used for people who struggle socially. While the wikipedia article still lists it as discriminatory, that wasn't really my impression from seeing it in context; I feel like there's a degree to which people with poor social skills self-apply the term, and (at least in manga/etc) that usage may be more prevalent than an insulting use of the term.

Either way, 'disabled' is not how you'd translate the term as used here. Don't know that I have a better suggestion, offhand...
Beltane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:18 pm Reply with quote
In the official goods released by Hakusensha (the Japanese publisher of the manga), the English title of the manga is "Falling High School Girl and Irresponsible Teacher". See here. It sounds awkward, I know. Maybe a better way to translate the term "haijin" would be "loser"? Having read the manga, that's the closest word I could think of. The word "haijin" is meant to be a pun on the male lead's name, Haiba Jin. Ditch "ba" and you get "Hai Jin" i.e., "Haijin".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1