• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers 30th Anniversary Special's Trailer Highlights Story, Action Scenes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:40 am Reply with quote
I can't believe that so many years has passed already... I remember how I was watching MMPR before school... I like it so much!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:24 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
They got Barbara Goodson and Richard Steven Horvitz back!

I do wonder about something. Were there some funky logistical, rights, or budget issues on why they weren't able to reprise their respective roles when those characters appear at other points of the franchise especially in the Disney era?
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
[heads to bookcase and leans over to whisper to the two Billy action figures I still own] Time to wake up the inner child, 'cause it's morphin' time, y'all.
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

I'm really not sure how I feel about them killing Trini off like that (and then just up and having her new daughter take over as the Yellow Ranger).

So was there just some location benefit to summoning Rocky and Kat because they needed a Red and Pink? Because thematically Jason and Kimberly would've made more sense even if I get they couldn't get the actors back. I wonder who the Green Ranger is (unless that's actually Tommy and that's the entire original lineup together because of the time travel).

Holy crud, the Zords! The Megazord! I wasn't sure we'd get that at all! Are those suits or CG though?

I'm assuming it's just an actor thing. Jason's actor was arrested and Kimberly's actor seems to have not wanted anything to do with the franchise for a long itme, so they got the 2nd Red and Pink instead. Not sure if this was filmed before Tommy's actor's passing.

I have no real feelings about this, to be honest.. I stopped watching Power Rangers once Turbo came out so anything after I have no knowledge or interest in, so if they just do the initial two teams that's key demographic enough for me. But at the same time they've done so many callbacks and reunions for MMPR already I just view this as another one to add to the pile. We've seen Jason, Adam, Tommy, and others come back many times. But props for the other characters who haven't before.

This pained me to read as everyone always thinks she hates the franchise and disappeared. Amy Jo Johnson is very much involved with the franchise. She was in the remake movie back in 2017. She wrote the into to one of the comic books and she does the conventions non stop. She’s also a union actress and power rangers historically is non-union and pays Pennies. It might not have made financial sense for her to take the time off to go to Norway as she’s finally getting bigger director gigs. Her Instagram is all about power rangers she absolutely adores it and even shares this trailer.

The Zords were from Hasbros New Zoe’s Ascension Project Megazord but the megazord looked like CG. Bad CG. God I wish they spent just a bit more money on this lol.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:59 pm Reply with quote
The question I would like to know is: Will this reunion pay a special tribute to people like David Jason Frank and such?
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:13 pm Reply with quote
bluesheep02 wrote:
This pained me to read as everyone always thinks she hates the franchise and disappeared. Amy Jo Johnson is very much involved with the franchise. She was in the remake movie back in 2017. She wrote the into to one of the comic books and she does the conventions non stop. She’s also a union actress and power rangers historically is non-union and pays Pennies. It might not have made financial sense for her to take the time off to go to Norway as she’s finally getting bigger director gigs. Her Instagram is all about power rangers she absolutely adores it and even shares this trailer.

I see! I suppose that explains it then if it's a Union thing. I guess her not liking was just a rumor I kept hearing
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:09 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I'm really not sure how I feel about them killing Trini off like that (and then just up and having her new daughter take over as the Yellow Ranger).

Well to be fair they had to come with some reason… this and they actually
Made a video a few months ago taking about her actual daughter joining to case to reprise the of the Yellow Ranger! So I am all cool on the matter…

On a side note…. Anyone noticed the cracked Power Tube where Zordon normally stays at… that was a interesting Easter egg on the matter.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Well to be fair they had to come with some reason… this and they actually
Made a video a few months ago taking about her actual daughter joining to case to reprise the of the Yellow Ranger! So I am all cool on the matter…

On a side note…. Anyone noticed the cracked Power Tube where Zordon normally stays at… that was a interesting Easter egg on the matter.

I think this was for the best. Thuy Trang dying was a tragic loss and any hope for a full reunion of the original cast was shot. This was before Austin St. John's antics.

I'm happy to see Johnny Yong Bosch reprise Adam from Gen 2. I was just falling out of MMPR as I was aging when Gen 2 was really hitting its stride, so I don't think I ever fully appreciated any of the Gen 2 cast like I should've.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I have not watched Power Rangers in 30 years (I didn't even complete the whole series when it first aired, I think I saw 1st and 2nd). But for some reason the trailer does actually make me want to watch the anniversary show.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Given that Thuy Trang died in a car accident in 2001, this is honestly probably the best way that they could have handled Trini. Just going with a different Yellow Ranger would have felt dismissive, and while I have no idea what kind of time frame they had for filming this, I would expect that the actual concept of the plot would have predated Jason David Frank's passing, so there's logic to them showcasing Trini's death but still having "Tommy" there (obviously that isn't Jason David Frank wearing the Green Ranger suit Crying or Very sad )
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:00 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

I do wonder about something. Were there some funky logistical, rights, or budget issues on why they weren't able to reprise their respective roles when those characters appear at other points of the franchise especially in the Disney era?

Probably union-related issues since Goodson is union.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:59 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
I'm assuming it's just an actor thing. Jason's actor was arrested and Kimberly's actor seems to have not wanted anything to do with the franchise for a long itme, so they got the 2nd Red and Pink instead. Not sure if this was filmed before Tommy's actor's passing.

bluesheep02 wrote:

Here are new comments from Amy Jo Johnson.

https://twitter.com/_amyjojohnson/status/1640026778486861827
https://twitter.com/_amyjojohnson/status/1640026992992038912

Quote:
Please stop saying I didn’t do reunion because of money Simply not true. Maybe I just didn’t want to wear spandex in my 50s or couldn’t go to NZ for a month.Or none of ur beeswax JDF & I both chose not to for our own reasons. They filmed before he passed. #PowerRangers

Excited to see my pals @David_Yost & @Walterejones rock it though!! #PowerRangers
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:12 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:

bluesheep02 wrote:

Here are new comments from Amy Jo Johnson.

https://twitter.com/_amyjojohnson/status/1640026778486861827
https://twitter.com/_amyjojohnson/status/1640026992992038912

Quote:
Please stop saying I didn’t do reunion because of money Simply not true. Maybe I just didn’t want to wear spandex in my 50s or couldn’t go to NZ for a month.Or none of ur beeswax JDF & I both chose not to for our own reasons. They filmed before he passed. #PowerRangers

Excited to see my pals @David_Yost & @Walterejones rock it though!! #PowerRangers

Bravo to the Ms. Johnson!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked to have seen Amy Jo Johnson back but honestly I'm glad they aren't retconning Tommy/Kat for Kimberly nostalgia with some of the other retcons going on with this special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2