• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Connect! Re:Dive Game's Global Version Ends Service on April 30

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zekro94

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:58 am Reply with quote
Started playing a year ago and reached max level in december, playing it on a daily basis so this is sad news, was really excited for the upcoming characters. Oh well, time to switch to the japanese version which has a pc port
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:12 am Reply with quote
if I had the know-how to make a JP iTunes account and keep playing PriConne on the JP server I would, even if it meant losing all my progress. But as far as I know my device won't let me do that Mad
sarusa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:25 am Reply with quote
I've been playing this since it started, and I have to say I can see why people weren't spending much - I wasn't spending much, because the gacha was just ridiculously stingy. So rare you would actually get a 3*, and never the one you wanted. I did try buying a set of rolls early on, and got... jack s@#$ from that. So, lesson learned, and from then on I just used my incidental free jewels to do the draws and the summons list has a bunch of 3* characters I never got. One more botched Crunchyroll game.
sarusa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:34 am Reply with quote
So what's a good replacement for this? I'm also in FGO and Konosuba, and that kind of sets the tone - I want lots of story and events, a game that can actually be played free (though I might occasionally buy something). Not interested in overhead turn based combat (tried Arknights), and definitely not interested in the vast number of these games that are only about the T&A or nakedly transactional (Nikke, Azure Lane). There's Street Fighter: Duel, but that's also Crunchyfail.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:39 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
if I had the know-how to make a JP iTunes account and keep playing PriConne on the JP server I would, even if it meant losing all my progress. But as far as I know my device won't let me do that Mad

Fwiw it's fairly easy and can be done with any device. Just create a new account as you normally would, with your actual location, and change the country in the billing address. I'd give detailed instructions but idk how site rules-complaint that'd be. PS: when they ask for an address, just use some business' or look for random Japanese address generators, easy.

Progres from your EN game won't carry over to JP tough.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:55 am Reply with quote
While very disappointed, the writing was on the wall. Coming out of what should have been a relatively noteworthy event (nothing huge, but enough to get a blip) the total monthly revenue (not profit, just income) was around $200k.

I've seen people mention how big the IP is in Japan, but that has never been a strong indicator of success outside Japan. Kancolle was massive in Japan, but never more than a blip in the US. The Touhou franchise was and still is massive, but you can bet few westerners know a thing about it, let alone have touched any of the games. Even looking more broadly, there are countless anime series that do very, very, well in Japan and make no noise in the US, or vice verse.

Gacha games rely on a healthy mix of whales and F2P players. PriConne was extremely F2P friendly, made worse by the fact that there are rather large gaps between the release of characters of note, so there can easily be long periods of players being able to hoard the only real pay item in the game for the next banner of note if they're aiming to remain F2P. Looking at the expected banners for the year (again noting that the global server is 2 years behind the Japan server) there were 2 units of real note; one coming up here in April, the next near the end of the year.

And unlike the case we tend to see with the Asian market for a lot of games, Global market tends to have fewer "for the love of it" whales who will throw money at a game simply because they can and love the IP that much. PriConne was always a title that was going to appeal to a narrow niche. It just wasn't able to grow substantially beyond that in the global market.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:56 am Reply with quote
lazerem wrote:
I know money made by the game was brought up and this does seem to have a lot of FTP players

But to be fair, the large majority of players in any gacha-powered game never spend a single buck on the game. (I've played Genshin nearly since its release and have not, and never intend to, spend anything on it.) Then there's the smaller group that spends once in a blue moon on some limited-time skin or character they really want, many times because they haven't saved up enough game currency to guarantee a pull. Finally, there's the relatively tiny (percentage-wise) group of "whales" that are responsible for roughly 80% of the game's profits, pouring most - or all - of their available funds into the game. It's just that with enough popularity, this whale population becomes in absolute numbers pretty large and drives games like Genshin into millions upon millions of profit.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:17 am Reply with quote
Well, that sucks, especially for fans of the franchise outside Japan.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:25 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
How is it not their fault?

Kougeru wrote:
it's one of the biggest and most popular games in the JP market. by all measures it should've been one of the most popular games of it's genre globally too. but because of CR fumbles, it flopped

Given how this site almost weekly reports on these type of games biting the dust (even in Japan) both things can be true.

It can be Crunchyroll’s fault this game failed it could also be a problem of this game existing in a notoriously saturated market of similar games that are also not terribly popular outside their home market also being a factor.
Iggdrasil
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:49 am Reply with quote
Shame.
I've been playing Priconne since 2021 and spent some money (under 50 USD) on extra grotto attempts and more dungeon coins to speed progress, which was fine, and there were some ok gem deals that year (buy XXX get XXX for free).
Later that summer I tried buying gems to get a character I knew was gonna be important for the next year, which ended up costing me 30000 jewels (4x 7500 jewel packs), or around 350-360 USD. The cost-to-benefit ratio was just horrible and I completely lost the taste of jewels from then on.
So from the point of view of someone who has contributed around 450 USD to this game since 2021, it is sad to get a notice that's giving me only 1 month to finish whatever stories I haven't seen yet, and not being able to continue the main story. I'm also playing Azur Lane, and I feel the Priconne story and how it is presented to the player, is way better than in Azur Lane thanks to many voiced lines and even anime videos. But Azur Lane has smarter ways to get me to spend money that doesn't include paying 350 USD, for 1 character …
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:44 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Bruh, how do you screw up something as big as Princess Connect! Re:Dive? I have zero hope that The Eminence in Shadow gacha game will last long now.

Be months behind the JP version and not draw in enough customers to make money.

People seem to be blaming CR, it's not their fault the player base was small and not giving them enough money.

eh,bandori and project sekai english servers are a whole year behind jp, and d4dj is months behind, and they're still up so it's more-so because of a small playerbase
Ashabel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:04 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
It can be Crunchyroll’s fault this game failed it could also be a problem of this game existing in a notoriously saturated market of similar games that are also not terribly popular outside their home market also being a factor.

The problem is that Crunchyroll put so little effort into marketing the game outside of their own website and the game's dedicated twitter that most people didn't know it existed.

The game didn't show up in any major way on any American anime conventions. It had no company-organized events to bring fans together (something Azur Lane is sorta famous for). It had no merch store. Nothing. Crunchyroll arrogantly dumpstered it onto the Play Store and then just assumed it's going to be played and popular because the anime had good viewership numbers,

Marketing makes or breaks a game. Just look at NIKKE, which came out of nowhere and is now posting four million revenue per month because the publisher knew how to hype it. Crunchyroll didn't market the game at all, and the result is that it was overtaken by games with similar gameplay that did do their best to stay in the spotlight, such as Blue Archive.

Crunchyroll are awful at marketing their games, which is why their games consistently die after two years and consistently flourish once they're taken from them and given to someone who knows how to maintain a social media presence.

DanMachi: Memoria Freese and Bungou Stray Dogs: Tales of the Lost were both dying from low player numbers under Crunchyroll, only to recover and end up running for many years (both are still active) once given to another publisher.

So yeah, pardon people for thinking this is entirely Crunchyroll being Crunchyroll.
captokita

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, dang. I swore I wouldn't play this game, but I did, and enjoy it. I never spent a dime on it though. I felt the gacha system was atrocious in drop rates for banner characters, but I kept on. Even got to lvl 95 that's how much I didn't play it. lol

I played Epic Seven until my account mysteriously vanished and I refuse to start over.

I'm down to Konosuba, with equally atrocious gacha rates, and Danmachi, which has actual reasonable drop rates.

Sad to see it go.
catone2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Crunchycrap for the crappy translation and censorship. I really wish KMR just decided to roll the English TL into the JP game like GBF, In house would always be better.
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Crunchy doing Crunchy things.

Just another reason to never support anything crunchy or it’s affiliates have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3