• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:35 pm Reply with quote
A bit disappointed in hell's paradise, it has interesting idea but doesn't commit to them. The main character is immortal, oh wait no never mind, he's just really tough. Oh his wife fall in love with him because he's the only one who wasn't repulsed by her face, she must be really disfigured, right? Oh never mind she just as a minor scar. If you want to go that way go all the way and have her completely disfigured and really play up that the main character fall in love with her because she really gets him or something.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Seeing people in uncomfortable situations and reacting in a way that only makes things even more awkward makes me physically cringe instead of laughing. I feel so uncomfortable that I don't want to continue watching the show

I don't normally comment on this kind of thing and let opinions be what they are, but I think you have the wrong idea of what Dangers in My Heart is. It is absolutely not a "cringe comedy" by nature and isn't trying to be. I can see how you would get that vibe but in your review, you are already pointing out the strengths of the story so I really think you would be missing out by not continuing to watch it.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:06 am Reply with quote
I am very impressed with its production quality of Heavenly Delusion so far. The character animation, backgrounds, and staging were all really good. For those who are in interested in checking and/or reading along with the manga, this first episode adapted the first 2 chapters of the manga and about half of chapters 3 and 4 respectively as well. Since it appears that this season will be one cour (12-13 episodes) and presuming that the pacing slows down a little, I think this season will adapt up to around the end of volume 4 of the manga.

Also this anime/manga is perfect for tons of speculation and theorizing and has so many subtle details and foreshadowing in it. Especially on second rereads if one has kept up with the manga.
Jinbei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:51 am Reply with quote
If nothing else. Jigokuraku seems to have a nice pacing. I'm a big fan of the manga and when I saw that Mappa is the one handling it, I got worried that they would hurry the series and stuff the first season chock full of content, not leaving any breathing room for character development. Good to notice that it wasn't so. The first episode gives us the rundown of the situation, we get to know Gabimaru and Sagiri and we know where they're headed. Some other studios may have stuffed the introductions of all the other prisoners in the same episode but I'm glad they all seem to get more than just a quick flash on the screen.

As for Tengoku Daimakyo, it felt like the first episode covered a hefty chunk of the first manga volume(the only one i've read) but I guess this series just likes to throw us in to the world rather than ease us into it slowly like Jigokuraku. Nonetheless, the production values in both seem great.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:00 am Reply with quote
I had no idea what to expect from Heavenly Delusion (天国大魔境), but it has me completely hooked after just one episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:52 am Reply with quote
Heavenly Delusion is only the second anime I've watched on Disney+ (Summer Time Rendering being the first) but based on this tiny sample size I'm prepared to go out on a limb and say that the Disney peeps have great taste.
meruru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:31 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched My Love Story With Yamada-kun at Lv999 yet, but I read a large chunk of the manga. Is Yamada really a college student in the anime? Because I seem to recall he was a high schooler in the manga.

Anyways, I like shoujo/josei romances, and it includes video games which I also like, yet I just was very meh about the manga. I think mostly because the whole thing felt kind of off to me. For example, I found it very weird because Yamada is a pro fps gamer, but we only ever see him play this mmo (or at least through the dozens of chapters I read) which somehow he has the time to play besides also being in school.

It also felt kind of weird to me for him hanging out in this guild with nothing but casuals. I guess he joined because his one friend was in it, which kinda makes sense, but it's weird to me that Yamada seems to have zero friends that are really into gaming more than just casually, when it's more normal for people really into gaming to have mostly gamer friends, and as a result I think it's more likely he'd be in a guild with more of a gamer vibe, even if it isn't a competitive guild.

Just details like that made the manga feel too weird to me, like the author doesn't entirely get the thing they're writing about. I thought Recovery of an MMO Junkie just made much more sense, and is just better.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:41 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
I had no idea what to expect from Heavenly Delusion (天国大魔境), but it has me completely hooked after just one episode.
Sounds great, would love to watch but the idea of yet another pricy subscription gives occasion to pause. D+ hasn't yet reached critical mass, but if they keep it up, may soon reach...
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I am going to predict that ANN's reviewers will disapprove of the story twist coming up in only an episode or two (end of volume 1/beginning of volume 2). They might also disapprove of the way Kiruko and Maru's relationship evolves.

... But it's still an engrossing, mysterious, and occasionally drily funny story, so I'm very curious to see whether they'll recommend it anyway.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading the first volume of The Dangers in My Heart and really being turned off about how dark it was, Ichikawa was a hard protagonist to root for and Yamada was really snarky, but there was something about it that kept me reading, liking the quirky character designs I believe. And by the middle of volume 2 I was hooked like a lazy mackerel. The first episode had the same vibes, but give it a chance Richard, it'll get ya.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Tengoku Daimakyo's only on Hulu/Disney+, eh? It's so weird to me that with the boom in anime streaming services, prices have gone up while amount of quality content produced has stayed about the same (well, anecdotally, anyway; not something I have any kind of useful data on)---almost like the primary thing the market's been doing in that time is figuring out what kinds of prices paying audiences will tolerate, rather than increased competition making price increases more difficult ceteris paribus. Has me in this strange place where I feel, uh, misty-eyed for the era of Crunchyroll's outright anime streaming monopoly, I guess?

I suppose it's still not crazy expensive, so not really something to whine about. It's just so hard to decide if another subscription is worth it when I only know of the one show I'd probably watch on it.

EDIT: Also -- ANN staff, would it ruffle anyone's feathers severely, or be against any rules or anything, if I were to post a summary of the reviewer's show scores in this thread occasionally? When I last asked about this, I recall ANN staff were worried that people might read the articles less if the preview guide itself provided a convenient summary. Maybe it would be OK if it were just in this thread, though? I personally -- no offense -- do not go out of my way to read most of the preview reviews in detail, but really like to use each show's preview-guide scores as a quick way of guessing at which ones are probably worth looking into first.
UnchosenOne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I've gone on both Disney + and HULU and this series doesn't pop up. How are you guys seeing Heavenly Delusion? Pirated? Streamed internationally? Because it's not on either service yet ... or am I missing something? Btw, I'm in USA
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I've been way out of touch with anime seasons since the merger of all mergers (aside from whatever ends up on Hulu) but this might be the season I have to admit defeat and get a sub. Between Skip and Loafer, Dangers in my Heart, and Raeliana, uuuuuuugh! Yamada at Lv999 looks interesting too!

Also shoutout to the reviewers who noticed the MC might be covering for his social awkwardness by being edgy bc that's so outside the realm of my imagination that I thought he was 100% serious this whole time. It's definitely a sign of how well the author writes the characters as full human beings, especially the girls in the cast, that I kept reading. spoiler[And thankfully he mostly gives it a rest with the edgelord act in later volumes. Yikes, kid!]
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
UnchosenOne wrote:
I've gone on both Disney + and HULU and this series doesn't pop up. How are you guys seeing Heavenly Delusion? Pirated? Streamed internationally? Because it's not on either service yet ... or am I missing something? Btw, I'm in USA

Did you search under its Japanese name? I don't have an active Disney+ sub right now, but looks like this may be it:

https://www.disneyplus.com/series/tengoku-daimakyo-ilusao-celestial/7hd7j6bmGOTg

And Richard's review of it specifically opens with:

Watching this first episode of Heavenly Delusion (listed under its Japanese title of Tengoku Dai Makyō on Disney+)
FuzzyDave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:58 pm Reply with quote
It's not showing up for me either on Hulu or Disney+ under the English or original title (I'm also in the US)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18