• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:37 pm Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:
The first is that you simply do not like Ranking of Kings, in which case I can only pray for your broken and wayward soul.

Ah... it seems the original reason I delayed watching that show--direct statements that there must be something wrong with people who dislike it--has returned. When I did get around to going through season 1, it started off strong, but eventually decayed into a very drawn-out and somewhat ridiculous ending. Real roller-coaster, this one. I'll probably still give the sequel a look... but not anytime soon.

In unrelated news, Skip and Loafer, despite its synopsis sounding exactly like ten billion other opposites-attract romantic comedies, is actually super cute and charming and has a surprisingly unique style to its characters. Definitely sticking with that one.

Witch from Mercury kind of sidesteps explaining the (in)famous twist from the end of season 1, so I'm not sure what to make yet of the large quantity of new threads it gives us. But unless they've replaced the entire staff or something, I see no reason to expect it to go astray.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:48 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
James Beckett wrote:
The first is that you simply do not like Ranking of Kings, in which case I can only pray for your broken and wayward soul.

Ah... it seems the original reason I delayed watching that show--direct statements that there must be something wrong with people who dislike it--has returned.

Ah, I see you're confused. What you're seeing from James there is what's colloquially known as "a joke." It is a statement in which humor is derived from James hyperbolically stating the universality of a subjective opinion as a means to emphasize how much James himself enjoys the show. You have seemingly interpreted a very obvious - and relatively common - bit of comedic flair for a personal attack on you. Hope this clarifies things! Smile
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Previews are just about done (only waiting for Niehime).

Hooked me after one episode: Heavenly Delusion, Oshi no Ko

Interested me after one episode: Dangers in My Heart, My Home Hero, KamiKatsu, Otaku Elf, Raeliana at the Duke's Mansion, Insomniacs After School

Pending three-episode test: 20+ series

Sequels and delays: Tokyo Mew Mew, Witch from Mercury, Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible, Golden Kamuy
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:59 pm Reply with quote
So, I guess none of the Western streaming sites has picked up Ao no Orchestra for international streaming?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Oshi no Ko was definitely great, but was the big twist just that spoiler[Ai is killed]? It didn't seem that surprising to me when it happened. spoiler[It would have been more surprising if she did survive tbh. Maybe more interesting too? Too soon to tell of course] Though the scene was done very well, definitely hit that emotional spot it was going for, for me.
Maybe it just was more shocking reading it weekly as a manga as it was harder to see how it was being set up?

There was actually more foreshadowing in the manga! This episode covers volume 1, and all but the first chapter start with a one-page flashforward showing a different person being interviewed. For instance, Future Miyako's seen talking about the experience of trying to manage the twins, at the beginning of the chapter where Ruby does her Amaterasu impression.

(spoilers for this episode only) spoiler[Chapters 5 starts with an interview segment hinting that Ai isn't around in the future timeframe, and chapter 6's contains a suspicious reference to being stabbed. Chapter 8 -- which covers the "virgin conception" bit, the dome celebration, and Ai's flashback, ending on the knife going in -- starts with Future Ichigo refusing to be interviewed: "The moment I lost Ai, my life was over!" So the reader has that dread hanging over their head the whole chapter.

IIRC, though, Ai's death wasn't actually part of the creators' original plan. One of the early interview segments features a fan of Ai who was redrawn for the volume release to have an older character design, because given that timeframe, it seemed less plausible for someone that young to have been one of Ai's fans.]

lossthief wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
Ah... it seems the original reason I delayed watching that show--direct statements that there must be something wrong with people who dislike it--has returned.

Ah, I see you're confused. What you're seeing from James there is what's colloquially known as "a joke."

I've seen this "joke" countless times over my life, and I think it's time it was retired. I spent way too many years building up a complex about things I HAD to see/read/whatever, or to have the right opinions about, to be worthy of respect. It's not funny to me anymore. Honestly, I'm not sure it ever was.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:27 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
So, I guess none of the Western streaming sites has picked up Ao no Orchestra for international streaming?

I guess not which is a shame.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:52 am Reply with quote
Daily streaming review poll is up: animenewsnetwork.com/survey/943/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nl_TvdL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:13 am Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:

I guess not which is a shame.

But you can vote for it to be reviewed on a weekly basis (strangely).
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:47 am Reply with quote
Ah, that's to make sure that if it /does/ get licensed after the poll launches, I know how much interest there is in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:58 am Reply with quote
I hope that The Café Terrace and Its Goddesses gets enough votes to earn a spot on the daily reviews.

I know that the first episode was mostly fanservice, it was the same way in the manga. But it ends up moving way from that kind of stuff fairly quickly. It's still there, but nowhere close to as pronounced as it was in the beginning. And then it ends up being a pretty good story that makes you want to root for all of the girls. I'm 100 chapters into the manga and I still don't have a favorite.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:35 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Daily streaming review poll is up: animenewsnetwork.com/survey/943/

My first time participating in one of these! I threw in a vote for Detective Conan for the lulz. Seemed kinder than voting for The Aristocrat's Otherworldly Adventure.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:00 pm Reply with quote
idol master u149 makes me wish they make an o180 version, the fact that only kirarin and producer make the cut makes it better.
nl_TvdL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:50 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Ah, that's to make sure that if it /does/ get licensed after the poll launches, I know how much interest there is in it.

Thanks for adding it, i voted for it. But i think because no one is streaming it, almost zero people will be interested right now, which is (sadly) very understandable.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I voted again for Pretty Cure, I really think it deserves better (again).
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to actually watching Oshi no Ko's premiere, and... yeah, sadly it didn't manage to change that much about my disappointment with it. It had a really great premise overall, but Akasaka's choice of having it delivered through the reincarnated babies BS and turning it into just an edgy revenge story really blew it.

If at least it would've stayed as a normal story between Sarasia and the doctor.... it could've work. But as it is, really disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18