• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:25 pm Reply with quote
FuzzyDave wrote:
It's not showing up for me either on Hulu or Disney+ under the English or original title (I'm also in the US)

Per Reuben Lack, senior manager of English dubbing at Disney, there's a "one-off delay" at Hulu for undisclosed reasons, so the series is currently unavailable in the US. It's available on Disney+ in most other regions (and Star in Canada).
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:44 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Also -- ANN staff, would it ruffle anyone's feathers severely, or be against any rules or anything, if I were to post a summary of the reviewer's show scores in this thread occasionally? When I last asked about this, I recall ANN staff were worried that people might read the articles less if the preview guide itself provided a convenient summary. Maybe it would be OK if it were just in this thread, though? I personally -- no offense -- do not go out of my way to read most of the preview reviews in detail, but really like to use each show's preview-guide scores as a quick way of guessing at which ones are probably worth looking into first.

Hi there! I don't have a problem with this if you keep it in the thread. I have one request, though: could you do it at the end of the day after most of the series for that day are up and the corresponding reviews?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:48 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
And Richard's review of it specifically opens with:

Watching this first episode of Heavenly Delusion (listed under its Japanese title of Tengoku Dai Makyō on Disney+)

Richard is one of the two writers for the site (the other being Kim) who currently lives in Japan, so he is probably watching Japanese sources.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:52 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Per Reuben Lack, senior manager of English dubbing at Disney, there's a "one-off delay" at Hulu for undisclosed reasons, so the series is currently unavailable in the US. It's available on Disney+ in most other regions (and Star in Canada).

He also said that it'll be resolved early next week and shouldn't impact the normal launch of the remaining episodes. Whatever that means. I think Bleach was a true simulcast, but haven’t other shows aired with a 1-2 week delay?

After the Spring Trailer Watch Party, I was kinda looking forward to this one, so I hope it’s worth the wait.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:10 pm Reply with quote
re: Heavenly Delusion---oh, sorry! Seems my guess was way off Shocked

ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Hi there! I don't have a problem with this if you keep it in the thread. I have one request, though: could you do it at the end of the day after most of the series for that day are up and the corresponding reviews?

Cool! And sure, happy to; any particular time zone I should use for 'end of the day'?
moozooh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Heavenly Delusion's first episode was incredible. I really appreciate how they were able to cram so many manga pages into one episode without compromising its pacing or presentation. Production values are almost movie-grade; this is easily the most impressive TV anime airing this season. Background design, shot composition, animation fluidity, coloring—all top-tier stuff. The manga deserved an adaptation like this.

Jigokuraku is also looking good, but not quite at the level its trailers led us to believe.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Richard is one of the two writers for the site (the other being Kim) who currently lives in Japan, so he is probably watching Japanese sources.

Didn't Kim move back to Australia?
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I moved back to Australia last August. Richard is our Tokyo Correspondent now.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:10 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Cool! And sure, happy to; any particular time zone I should use for 'end of the day'?

Pacific Daylight Savings Time (PDT), thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Still working my way through the end of last season, so I'm finding myself a little disconnected from this one's start. Sorting through the new stuff, I'm not feeling too excited for anything so far.

I think Journey to the South (is Paradise Taiwan?) is a keeper, though I keep being reminded of Slime's Gabiru with the MC named Gabimaru.

I couldn't relate to the wimpy heroine of Pro Gaming with Yamada-kun at all, and it's a bad sign when you hope the title character will escape her neediness as easily as her ex. Pass.

I'll give Ichi the Wannabe Killer another ep or two to prove itself, but I'm really meh about it now. Didn't laugh, wasn't disturbed, couldn't relate, basically felt not much of anything about it.

Outside Inside Out looks pretty good. I totally didn't fall asleep in the middle, which today is a big plus. Seemed to do a good job of setting up the mystery/world, and meshing the two radically different venues without it being a confusing mess, also a big plus. Besides also plus too I like the Outside pair too. They're living my dream. Don't know enough about the Inside group to form much of an opinion yet.

The Aristobrat did put me to sleep, so that's a no go.

Shinigami's Chuunibyou Friend is cute, but maybe too cute? Not sure how long the indomitable optimism can hold me.

Overly Attached Daddy looks like it will either be funny or too stupid to bear. If James reviews it, I'll watch it. I don't normally vote for cruelly dumping the garbage on his doorstep, but he's all but literally asking for it this time. Twisted Evil
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:42 pm Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
Whatever that means. I think Bleach was a true simulcast, but haven’t other shows aired with a 1-2 week delay?

No, the only other simulcast besides Bleach that Disney/Hulu has done was Tokyo Revengers' latest season, and that was a true simulcast. Netflix is the service that typically has delay-casts like that.

That being said, Disney is also totally opaque about any and all anime licenses they handle, so who knows what's going on here.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:18 pm Reply with quote
My Home Hero

We live in a world where assailants and other type of criminals film their acts of violence and crimes and post them on the internet for all to see. So I don't see the problem with the evil boyfriend bragging for all to hear about his beating up his girl friend. And probably his friends where cheering and joking along with him about it.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Frog-kun wrote:
Yes, I moved back to Australia last August. Richard is our Tokyo Correspondent now.

Huh. Somehow missed hearing about hearing about that.

Anyway, so far I'm giving a thumbs-up so far to Heavenly Delusion, Hell's Paradise (despite its protag looking way too much like Bell Cranel), and My Clueless First Friend and am "meh" about the rest. (Although I'm reserving judgment on alice gear aegis Expasion until I see if its first episode makes more sense than its ep 0 did.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:22 am Reply with quote
I’m never going to be able to unsee how much he looks like Bell… I wasn’t expecting much but I thought the premiere was pretty good. I wish they showed more of the ninjutsu at the end instead of cutting to a black screen, but otherwise it looked good.
saihamaru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:44 am Reply with quote
regrettably, Tetsuo from My Home Hero is not equipped with a very particular set of skills
it would be much more interesting to watch if that's the case
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18