• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Quintessential Quintuplets Manga Gets New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Fugaz-Star wrote:
I thought it was a bit of a generic ecchi harem, so I dropped it in thew first 5 eps. But it got quite the fan base. What makes it special compared to other harem animes?
It does a good job of making each of the specific girls feel like their own own person with their own wants and desires. It's nothing revolutionary, but a well executed version of the genre. It also had a mystery element to it as well that was pretty interesting but alot of people feel the ending was botched. I sort of agree, not because how it ended was bad but because the conclusion was rushed. It could have worked if a specific character was given more development time
pip25

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Fugaz-Star wrote:
I thought it was a bit of a generic ecchi harem, so I dropped it in thew first 5 eps. But it got quite the fan base. What makes it special compared to other harem animes?

Quite a few things, actually:

• No endlessly growing harem, no extra love interests introduced in the middle of the series because things were getting stale. From chapter one until the very end, we have the five quints, and we know from the start that one of them will be chosen, period.
  • The harem, or even the romance aspect is far from the only thing going on. There are conflicts and plotlines completely unrelated to romance. There are some interesting mysteries. The five sisters have also have unique relationships, subplots and developments with each other that have little to do with the male lead.
  • Speaking of the male lead, he's no blank slate, self-insert character. He's his own person, he has his own priorities, and he's far from perfect. Also unlike so many others, he's not clueless; he is aware of the girls' developing feelings for him, he just doesn't know what to do with them at first.
  • The story is not dragged out endlessly. In fact, I feel that one of the valid criticisms against this manga is that the author ended things a bit too quickly, shortly after the winning girl was chosen. The pacing tends to be really good overall.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
GoSie wrote:
Its a shame this has 1 of the worst ending i seen for a manga in a long while though. Picking the girl with the least amount of progress feels just stupid to me.

But she is a great girl.

Yeah, she was the first girl that was actually nice to him so it makes sense if you think about it like that.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:13 am Reply with quote
This will be great for the three people who liked the ending.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I know who our leading guy ends up with but which of the 5 did he have the most interactions with that hinted at maybe that girl is who he would likely pick? Also, which of the 5 waifu was the leading lady? That is, the one with the most screen/panel/air time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2