• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hell's Paradise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:48 pm Reply with quote
…The hell happened in that scene?
minamikaze

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:56 pm Reply with quote
If you asking about the episode thumbnail image, that's the beginning of Yuzuriha's jutsu, which involves her secreting a viscous fluid from her body.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Is Junichi Suwabe voicing all the male Tensen forms?

Tenza's death was kind of spoiled by the Opening but I really thought Shion would bite it first. I guess "let's get married after we get out of this" trumped the seasoned master dying before their student cliche death flag.

Tenza was a good boi. His relationship with his master was endearing, his relationship with Nurugai was sweet, and he deserved so much better. At least he went out as epically as possible.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost certainly wrong here, but given the oddities of this island, I'm not 100% convinced we've seen the last of Tenza. But if I'm not, that doesn't necessarily mean I think he didn't die... Anyway, I'm leaving the spider thread dangling for him - if he can climb up it, good on him.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:49 am Reply with quote
Junichi Suwabe is voicing all the Tensen male forms! And doing it so well that they feel so distinct! Though Yuko Kaida is doing a solid job as the female form. So surreal seeing the antagonist group in a Shonen anime talking about their preferred gender and having lesbian sex for the heck of it.

That punch barrage was spectacularly animated.

Well, Gabimaru realized that he can't take the Tensen out solo but also that they're not immortal Gods...though they do have final forms. I'm curious about what exactly Mei is since Zhu Jin recognized her.

The way they talked about how the Tensen all split apart from the original Hermit, can they all fuse back together?

Did the Iwagakure master pass elements of the Elixir on to his disciples? Is that how Gabimaru is also able to match a Tensen? They noticed something about him that even he didn't realize.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:21 am Reply with quote
This is kind of.. growing on me? The story-telling quality in the opening few episodes felt very uneven to me, but the further it moves along the more engrossed I get. The world-building around the island and its lore is captivating (although I feel like maybe we learned the major secret of the Tensen (sp?) a lot earlier than I was expecting), the fight sequences are always dynamic/wild, and I even like what they've done with some of the characters thematically. Our deuteragonist...s?... not being romantically paired (outside of some uhh rather suggestive symbolism once or twice) is refreshing, and the time we've spent with each character in turn has felt distinctive and, in most cases, reasonably complex.

Though also seems to have reinvigorated my love affair with ellipsis... tragic.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:29 am Reply with quote
Has the pink-haired Tensen slept with all of them at this point? All they seem to do is just screw and talk about screwing.

I wonder if we're going to get adult lady Mei and how that will compare to Yuzuriha and Sagiri. Or will she keep using her powers to the point that she ends up super old? Also it's funny that we have Konomi Kohara voicing two cuties on Saturday and Sunday.

Our cast learn about Tao and how to use it, some having already achieved it unconsciously, so it's probably up to mastering it and applying it to their fighting style if they want to be able to beat the Tensen. But first, mid-bosses!
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, having Gabimaru learn Tao so quickly feels a bit like cheating (Though, arguably, having it be a continuation of what he was already "learning" from Sagiri blunts that issue, complete with the water imagery that her self-realization had- which in turn makes me wonder if she's already utilizing Tao.) and the battle itself was just alright...but it hit the emotional beats well enough that I don't care as much as I otherwise would. The disgust around why they want Mei to return was palpable and satisfying.

I do wonder about Mei though- it isn't explicitly said, but I'd guess she's utilizing Tao to keep herself aged down, and therefore undesirable. So when she expended a lot to protect Gabimaru, she aged up again with the power loss.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I could be way off base here, but my sense of things is that "mind=body=mind" is the central conceit, thus Mei has retained a child-like appearance and apparent mental state overall as a means of suppressing her memories of her trauma, Ser Not-Groot protecting her not necessarily because she can't fight back herself, but because doing so would, as @b-dragon suggests, force her to use her power, weakening the self-manipulation that allows her to keep those memories ay bay.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote
So Chobei's attachment to those vines and his own adaptability has helped him master Tao, even if it's slowly mutating him.

Ah, so the Tensen don't just screw each other for the heck of it, it's part of how they master their power.

Did Mei look older in the flashback to her getting cast out? I wonder if her child age wasn't by choice. Also the plan for what to do with her...absolutely disgusting.

Even the mid-bosses have Final Forms.

Does Sagiri's group stand a chance against a Tensen? I mean, maybe she does because she's subconsciously close to mastering Tao.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:06 am Reply with quote
I don't know why this anime is so underrated. True, we're having Gundam and Oshi no ko, but that's not excuse.

Yeah, those creepy bugs needed to die painfully.

Now, since in this very episode we have two groups learning about Tao, so you can't have two explanations on how to use it properly. Also, neither of the characters are prone to deep thinking. Gabimaru, more often than not, reacts on instinct while Chobe just have one path: strike hard,fast, as long as he needs. I can't remember now, but I think that in the manga the process is more or less the same.

Also, Mei "child" form will be explained later on.

Also also about Tao: spoiler[Yuzuriha and everyone else who remains alive will learn to use it.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:30 pm Reply with quote
It was nice to see Yuzuriha finally fight and show off. Of course her powers would be agile ninja skills and secreting liquid from her body into weapons. As sexy as it is dangerous.

So there's no Elixir of Life and no real way to get a pardon...but at least they can take this depraved island down with them.

Characters are getting closer to mastering Tao but looks like there's more of a physical cost to using it.

Poor Senta. He was a pretty cool guy but once again going over your backstory and finding a female convict you admire ended up getting an Asaemon killed. I knew they were screwed when Jiujun didn't use their Kashikai.

Shion arriving just in time!
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Early in this series I kept getting 'The Island of Dr. Moreau' vibes, given it was the only thing that made sense of the seemingly random creatures and things we see - One gigantic scientific experiment luring suckers in to the island as test subjects.

When the conversations took a more mystical turn, I backburned that theory, but I'm glad it's back, and it alleviates the issue of everyone suddenly leveling up and mastering Tao, as now they are just instictually developing skills they have been proficient at all along in the regular world.

As an aside, I'd been rewatching Jujutsu Kaisen, and this Tao idea is present there too, as Todo explains to Itadori that cursed energy circulates from the center within the body and there's a time lag until it reaches his fists. Anyway, Tao and yin/yang stuff is common in various disciplines and Eastern schools of thought, so it does fit into Hell's Paradise, though it arguably lessens the threat of the Tensen if everyone is capable of approaching their caliber. And I'd have preferred the idea of the groups discovering clever ways of overcoming them as underdogs with the odds always stacked heavily against them while keeping the possibility that anyone might die horribly at any moment. That way it's more Ninja Scroll, and less DBZ.
Albin0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I would like it if reviewers didn’t post potential spoilers about characters dying in their opening paragraphs to reviews that are shown on the front page when just trying to scroll through news articles. As someone trying to go into the show blind it’s pretty BS that I and anyone like me that hasn’t had time to watch yet now gets to sit through the episode just waiting to see the death. I don’t care if the way it’s handled is good or bad, I don’t care if it’s an important character or a side character, I should be able to go in with as little information as I see fit without being subjected to plot details on the literal homepage.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:31 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Early in this series I kept getting 'The Island of Dr. Moreau' vibes, given it was the only thing that made sense of the seemingly random creatures and things we see - One gigantic scientific experiment luring suckers in to the island as test subjects.

When the conversations took a more mystical turn, I backburned that theory, but I'm glad it's back, and it alleviates the issue of everyone suddenly leveling up and mastering Tao, as now they are just instictually developing skills they have been proficient at all along in the regular world.

As an aside, I'd been rewatching Jujutsu Kaisen, and this Tao idea is present there too, as Todo explains to Itadori that cursed energy circulates from the center within the body and there's a time lag until it reaches his fists. Anyway, Tao and yin/yang stuff is common in various disciplines and Eastern schools of thought, so it does fit into Hell's Paradise, though it arguably lessens the threat of the Tensen if everyone is capable of approaching their caliber. And I'd have preferred the idea of the groups discovering clever ways of overcoming them as underdogs with the odds always stacked heavily against them while keeping the possibility that anyone might die horribly at any moment. That way it's more Ninja Scroll, and less DBZ.

I'd say its more like the difference between you and me, and a professional sports MVP. Or even a star in one sport attempting to play another sport - minus the supernatural angle of course. So far the extent to which the heroes have had any success seems to be born mainly out of the Tensen not expecting any challenge at all and being caught off guard, not the heroes suddenly being on their level. Further, while the Tensen are deadly, they aren't prototypical fighters. They seem to have been on the island a very long time with no real threats. In terms of combat, you have a group of the deadliest criminals around who have been fighting and killing almost constantly. What our heroes lack in power, they have in generally greater skill, so it evens the playing field a little bit - the same way a star player in one sport will rely on their strengths to make up the difference in another.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3