• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Oshi no Ko

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Normally I would look over comments first, but having just seen Ep 1-2 I can't wait and have to say that the storytelling and cinematography and direction were all far above what constitutes excellent anime productions in general here and not surprising this could be AOTY. Little indicators and attention to detail, like the "stars" in Ai's eyes when being scouted being "dark" to indicate her outlook with self-doubt after being abandoned but as she listened to the scout/manager convincing her, they turned bright white. Aqua and Ruby having one eye with "star" each and the star disappearing from Ai's eyes to indicate her death.

That whole scene composition was masterful, once stabbed, there was little doubt the outcome but what came after allowed a great avenue to get Ai's internal thoughts and feelings without being a total narrated dialog info-dump. Seeing her contact the father and the "hint" from the manager just before set up that something bad would happen. Some may say "predictable" but it could have been a career-ending scandal as well. The homacidal fan could have come later.

Yes, the whole reincarnation device was eye-rollingly convenient but it also set up a great avenue for quasi-organic commentary which is part of the overarching purpose of the story in the first place, so I can overlook that if that is the only contrivance.

Didn't think this show would be to my liking as I hate "idol" shows as well as "magical girl" shows, but I am an instant Ai fanboy now. Few shows have been able to turn around that bias with me (Madoka Magica), so this one is a definite standout and I think possibly in the same league...
minamikaze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Reviewer wrote:
Last week, Akasaka revealed on his Twitter account that he had written a new short story titled “45510.” It's in Japanese, and I can't read it, but perhaps it's got clues for Japanese speakers about the mysteries Ai held so close to her chest.

I hadn't seen that, so yesterday when I saw the number I thought 45510 might have been a number 語呂合わせ (goroawase), where the various pronunciations of the numbers in Japanese are used to form words (they were very popular in the days when people still used pagers).

I suspected it might be, because there is a goroawase for 4510 = shigoto (work) (4 = shi, 5 = go, and 10 = to), and I thought that perhaps it was a play on shigo (死後 - after death) goto (meaning something after death like 隠し事 kakushigoto - something hidden, but shigogoto isn't a real word, also Ai chose that password years before she died, so it wouldn't make sense.

So I googled it and found the reference to the story you mentioned. Smile

link to article explaining it
article excerpt wrote:
As confirmed in a side-story novel by Akasaka Aka called ‘45510’, Ai Hoshino’s password for her phone is 45510 because this represents the initials of the four founding members of the B-Komachi Idol group.

When using a Japanese flick keyboard, each number corresponds with the first name initial of the first four group members:

Takamine (Ta) – 4
Nino (Ni) – Double 5*
Ai (A) – 1
Watanabe (Wa) – 0

As shared on the series’ Fandom page, the double five comes from Ai using a Japanese flick keyboard when using a flip phone, where she would have had to double press key five ‘Na’ to get ‘Ni’.

link to short story in Japanese
excerpt from story wrote:
ログイン画面に移る。
登録したメールアドレスは、私のサブアドレスだった筈。
パスワードはなんだったか、順番が定かではない。
1が先だったか、55が先だったか。
何度か試している内に、正しいパスワードにたどり着く。

高峯、ニノ、アイ、渡辺。
結成メンバーの頭文字を、フリックで入力した時の数字。

Last edited by minamikaze on Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Kana is remarkably animated. I'm excited to see Aqua's full-force acting next week.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He can't help but eavesdrop on the director's smoke break, where he's lurking to collect cigarette butts for DNA samples. He hears the director really laying into the cast—including poor Kana as if we needed another reason to like her.

Minor note: Kaburagi's the producer.

And yes, Kana is so much fun to watch in this episode. Props to her animators, and of course Megumi Han. Even things like that little bounce as she scoots up to Aqua's side when selling him on Sweet Today!

Also, this is currently the pinned tweet on the anime's official account. Very Happy
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The meta commentary regarding the botched adaptation of a manga is so on the nose. The reactions that Aqua, Ruby, and Miyako have after watching the drama are just like the conversations that occur when a beloved manga gets a less-than-stellar adaptation. Add to that the obvious disappointment of the original creator, even though she can't say such out loud.

It's remarkable to see just how much more mature Kana has become since her child actress days. The director's attempt to humble her worked just as planned.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote
review wrote:
The black gleam in Aqua's eye makes it clear that Kana doesn't have a total monopoly on changing the show's whole mood with a glance.

I noticed two other times in the episode where Aqua's star turns black: when he finally unlocks the phone and sees the contacts and when he's later thinking that he doesn't have any motivator other than revenge. I'll have to go back and see if that ever happens in episode 1 or 2, but it looks like that's supposed to signify his darkest impulses coming to the forefront.

In terms of parallels to other anime, while I'm sure the Kaguya-sama allusions were intended, I also thought of A Sister's All You Need, which also had some significant content about creators being disappointed with how anime adaptations turned out.

And thanks to minamikaze for the details on 45510. I knew that there had to be particular meaning to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Really felt bad for the fictional (yet unfortunately probably not unrealistic) manga-ka Sad

Thanks for the 45510 info @minamikaze Smile Guess after doing that it's clear how dedicated Aqua is O_o
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited for episode 4, the chapter it adapts is the one that really sold me on it (although the content we had this episode was where I was very much at the "OK you have my attention" stage).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I had to be reminded that the Shojo manga they were discussing was the same one in Kaguya-sama that had everyone crying. Shame that the adaption isn't turning out well, should've held out for the anime adaption.

Kana turned out to be a lot different than I was expecting. Like she sets up a lot of expectations as this bratty child star but while she's still haughty and confident, she's also far more mature and reasonable in her teen years, which makes her much more attractive. It also makes you want to root for her and her acting comeback even as she struggles to get a foothold in the industry.

I'm also curious how she might impact Aqua. She still believes in his acting ability but he's so dedicated to his revenge that I wonder if anything can get through to him...though he also seems to respect Kana.

I can only imagine how realistic what happened with this drama adaption is for a lot of authors. But while it's clearly conveying the harsher realities of the industry, it also shows that the cast and crew behind it are still trying to do their best despite stuff that is out of their hands.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:01 am Reply with quote
glad to see that everyone recognized Kana as the highlight of this episode but you're all sleeping on the deeply important lore drop that is Aqua wearing matching TWINS sweaters with Ruby

honestly Aqua was kind of a delight in this episode in general. Going to leaf thru his shojo manga to compare it to the drama... immediately going to tell Kana that Ruby was shittalking her show... pretending Extremely Hard that he doesn't care about helping Kana out but then going out of his way to do her a solid anyway lol. My extremely normal boy!!!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:59 am Reply with quote
as I said in another thread, i already watched this show when it was named shion no ou. but i am glad the anime/plot is finally getting the quality it deserves and 8t.being about idols instead of go/shogi is nice too.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:35 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
as I said in another thread, i already watched this show when it was named shion no ou. but i am glad the anime/plot is finally getting the quality it deserves and 8t.being about idols instead of go/shogi is nice too.

I vaguely remember Shion no Ou, but I think in that, the protagonist gets into shougi because she loves it; it isn't until she's already become established as a promising future player that the possibility that spoiler[her parents' murderer might be a shougi player] becomes relevant.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:06 am Reply with quote
English translation of Op song "Idol" by YOASOBI here https://www.lyrical-nonsense.com/global/lyrics/yoasobi/idol/#Translations
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:57 am Reply with quote
Casting Mai Sakurajima to play your famous actress character is the most meta stunt I've seen since the Re: Zero season 2 flashbacks.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:05 am Reply with quote
Reviewer wrote:
If you haven't already, I highly recommend finding a subtitled version of "Idol," YOASOBI's full opening theme for Oshi no Ko.]
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
English translation of Op song "Idol" by YOASOBI here https://www.lyrical-nonsense.com/global/lyrics/yoasobi/idol/#Translations

HIDive's stream started including subtitles for the OP and ED lyrics in episode 3. For episode 3 the subtitles were the English translation and for episode 4 they were the Japanese lyrics in Romaji.

It seems likely that they will continue to alternate them, so episode 5 should have the English translation again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12