• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Oshi no Ko

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:25 am Reply with quote
Neat detail I saw pointed out on Twitter: After Aqua finishes his line, it's exactly ten seconds until Kana's tears start.

I think Akasaka's only ever had positive things to say publicly about the live-action Kaguya movies, but yeah, you kinda have to wonder.

I've seen color illustrations of Minami, including a recent volume cover, so her color scheme didn't surprise me. Frill's did, a little -- looking at the color illustration posted on Jump+, there is a tinge of green to the hair, but it's subtler than in the anime.

Quote:
Another meta moment: Frill might be the most famous person at the school, and her voice actor, Asami Seto, might be the most famous person in this anime.

Hey, it's been a long time since her Hinagiku-era peak, but Shizuka Itou's no slouch either.

minamikaze wrote:
HIDive's stream started including subtitles for the OP and ED lyrics in episode 3.

Must've been added sometime after I watched it.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:48 am Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:

So I googled it and found the reference to the story you mentioned. Smile

link to article explaining it
article excerpt wrote:
As confirmed in a side-story novel by Akasaka Aka called ‘45510’, Ai Hoshino’s password for her phone is 45510 because this represents the initials of the four founding members of the B-Komachi Idol group.

When using a Japanese flick keyboard, each number corresponds with the first name initial of the first four group members:

Takamine (Ta) – 4
Nino (Ni) – Double 5*
Ai (A) – 1
Watanabe (Wa) – 0

As shared on the series’ Fandom page, the double five comes from Ai using a Japanese flick keyboard when using a flip phone, where she would have had to double press key five ‘Na’ to get ‘Ni’.

link to short story in Japanese
excerpt from story wrote:
ログイン画面に移る。
登録したメールアドレスは、私のサブアドレスだった筈。
パスワードはなんだったか、順番が定かではない。
1が先だったか、55が先だったか。
何度か試している内に、正しいパスワードにたどり着く。

高峯、ニノ、アイ、渡辺。
結成メンバーの頭文字を、フリックで入力した時の数字。

Thank you so much for looking into this! The lore goes so deep in this show, I love it!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:52 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Hey, it's been a long time since her Hinagiku-era peak, but Shizuka Itou's no slouch either.

Not to mention Megumi Han as Kana.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:54 am Reply with quote
Gotta say the first episode broke me like To Your Eternity. Previews seem to focus on Ai but she dies in the climax. I didn't cry or anything like with the unnamed child from To Your Eternity but when YAOSOBI started singing "Idol" I was like "Oh my god...." as there I felt the actual death of the character who we wil remember her every time the opening begins.

While I understand Aqua's character, I really fear that he could do bad actions. Still, I'm kinda confused about how his desire to protect his from acting can go when he already decided to use Kana as an assistant for Ruby.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:03 pm Reply with quote
When it was revealed that aqua was going to be in a reality TV dating show. I had to pause the episode. I actually screamed out loud. Wtf and laughed. I just can't with the show sometimes. It's so amazing! I love it!
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I think Episode 4 buys into the idea that acting isn't about faking emotion, but about getting yourself to feel strong emotions even though you're not actually in the situations that the characters are. It's about lying to yourself as much as it is about lying to the audience.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Late to the party here, but I wanted to chime and just to mention that it is rare for any media to get me this invested. The production here is firing on all cylinders, everything from direction and boarding to pacing and story and animation and sound and VA is idol-pitch-perfect. The English dub has a high water mark to reach up to.

The main attraction for me is definitely the insight into the various entertainment industries, which not only form a Japanese perspective, but even from a worldwide and Hollywood perspective, still holds true to various extents. Very well presented stuff, worked well into the situation, story and dialogue. Absolutely stellar stuff!

Will the anime be a complete story? Or is the manga still ongoing? I'm prematurely ready to put money down for the blu-ray collection with confidence that this entire thing will be good. But I prefer to buy series when the story is 'complete.'
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Great episode.

I usually don't think anything of the variety of colors in anime, but the lime green of Frill's eyes are a bit off putting. I also instantly thought it looked reptilian and then later she had those pronounced vertical irises reinforcing that thought. Glad I'm not the only one who thought of reptiles when seeing her!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:35 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

HIDive's stream started including subtitles for the OP and ED lyrics in episode 3. For episode 3 the subtitles were the English translation and for episode 4 they were the Japanese lyrics in Romaji.

It seems likely that they will continue to alternate them, so episode 5 should have the English translation again.
The linked translation is the full song and it gives a lot more insight relating to the story (and where the children's names came from) so I think fans will get more from it plus from what I know of Japanese, the HiDive translation choices aren't as good...
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:41 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Will the anime be a complete story? Or is the manga still ongoing? I'm prematurely ready to put money down for the blu-ray collection with confidence that this entire thing will be good. But I prefer to buy series when the story is 'complete.'

The manga is ongoing, released weekly or biweekly, with 116 chapters right now. I don't think it will be ending soon. You can read all of it on Manga Plus.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 3:54 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:

The manga is ongoing, released weekly or biweekly, with 116 chapters right now. I don't think it will be ending soon. You can read all of it on Manga Plus.

Really? Seems to me like it is gearing up for the finale.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:40 am Reply with quote
Johan Eriksson 9003 wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:

Final arc maybe, but I feel like that will take at least a year to get through.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:46 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:

Same. Looks to be setting up for the last arc right now, if not in it already. Just depends on how long this last arc will be.

Also, Asasaka-sensei just started a new manga last week, so his attention will be split.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 3:39 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:

Same. Looks to be setting up for the last arc right now, if not in it already. Just depends on how long this last arc will be.

Also, Asasaka-sensei just started a new manga last week, so his attention will be split.

Honestly I'm not terribly worried about that, he was physically drawing Kaguya-sama himself for most of Oshi no Ko's early run. I know the later chapters of Kaguya-sama are a bit divisive but I personally enjoyed them and didn't see any particular major drop in quality. Now that he's just focused on writing I think it should be pretty manageable for him.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Apparently there's a fan theory I hadn't seen that Pieyon is secretly a minor Kaguya character -- which got some big support with this episode, because the same VA voices both.

I appreciate Doga Koba extending a tacit invitation to meme the hell out of the Pieyon Boot Dance by showing it as long shots in front of a green screen.

Ruby makes an audacious choice for the new group’s name, but one very fitting for her character.

Quote:
We know Aqua is a master manipulator. His seemingly heartfelt attempt to beg Kana into becoming an idol with Strawberry Productions was a ruthlessly calculated measure: “I just read her like a book,” he coldly explained to Miyako after the fact.

Note, of course, that he says he never lied to Kana… including about her being cuter than most idols.

Quote:
That's what makes it so satisfying when we get to see somebody else beat Aqua at his own game.

Yuki understood the assignment, and she is damn savvy.

Quote:
The entire premise reminds me of the simplistic reality show Terrace House, and I'd bet rare Ai Hoshino idol swag that it's on purpose.

I’ve also seen commentary comparing it to “Kyou, Suki ni Narimashita”.

Quote:
(even though poor Ruby is breathing into a nebulizer!)

Is that what it is? I thought it was for oxygen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12